• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Testing at the Tour

Anyone know what testing they're actually doing at the Tour?

Years ago I thought it was just a simple urine screening test (presumably relatively easy to mask against), and only for the stage winner plus two random selections per day.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Anyone know what testing they're actually doing at the Tour?

Years ago I thought it was just a simple urine screening test (presumably relatively easy to mask against), and only for the stage winner plus two random selections per day.

Ask the teams to show you their schedule. The UCI is pretty good about keeping them up-to-date (so long as their briefcases full of swiss francs arrive on time).

Nope.

We know the organizer pays for dope testing, so the labs have an extra incentive to return negatives for fear of losing a paying customer. We also know the organizer has some latitude in the tests performed unless something has changed recently. When Zomnegan was running the Giro, he made a point of NOT testing for CERA and then promising to do it later. Later never came....

Do they really do that? I don't know. Is the incentive to stack the process to return a negative? for sure.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Nope.

We know the organizer pays for dope testing, so the labs have an extra incentive to return negatives for fear of losing a paying customer. We also know the organizer has some latitude in the tests performed unless something has changed recently. When Zomnegan was running the Giro, he made a point of NOT testing for CERA and then promising to do it later. Later never came....

Do they really do that? I don't know. Is the incentive to stack the process to return a negative? for sure.

Did Di Luca not test positive for Cera after the Giro? I guess he changed his mind when Di Luca led the cancellation of the stage in Milan :rolleyes:

As for the testing, who knows what the deals are between ASO, UCI and the labs.

But how did Contador's sample get sent to Cologne?

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
It came out much later that there was no testing at the ToC maybe last? Year.

the lack of transparency works best for the promoter and the uci really.

In the good old days, we knew beforehand.

In 2010, in addition to the blood sample from every rider a few days before the tour, there were 8 post race tests. GC leader, race day winner plus 6 others.

In addition there were random 'OOC style' tests in evenings/mornings

590 tests total.

we have a real good insight into testign that year thanks to the WADA observers report. Full breakdown of the tests is in Appendix 3 (last page of the pdf)

link

Thats the expected level of testing at the tour.

TRENDING THREADS