• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2014 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Yeah, that's what I thought. Not so sure anymore now.

He's pretty damn ambitious, though. Wants to target a Giro top 10 this year already

I think he'll make 300-400 points easily, or even more. Not a complete disaster to forget about him, but still...

Well, big thanks to MC who did all the rejigging of the spreadsheet to get the popularity scores. The last few days have been a bit of a whirlwind (thanks for the reminder to enjoy real life netserk) and I much appreciate the help. I have had some computer problems on top of everything else, but I'm back at home on Saturday so update 1 should be just fine. Final version of teams is just waiting on 3 teams who are over the limit to correct things.

Anyway, here's my team, 16th most popular team out there (I've been close to the top of that list every year with Hitch and MC):

CONTADOR VELASCO Alberto
BOASSON HAGEN Edvald
PHINNEY Taylor
DENNIS Rohan
SANCHEZ GIL Luis Leon
MOSER Moreno
VAN DEN BROECK Jurgen
LE BON Johan
HESJEDAL Ryder
VAN POPPEL Danny
ARU Fabio
BRAJKOVIC Janez
GOSS Matthew
BATTAGLIN Enrico
VAN BAARLE Dylan
CRADDOCK Lawson
COPPEL Jérôme
DE GENDT Thomas
BOONEN Tom
HOWSON Damien
BENNETT Sam
EWAN Caleb
TEKLEHAIMANOT GIRMAZION Daniel
SCHLECK Andy
DOMBROWSKI Joseph Lloyd
VANENDERT Jelle
LUTSENKO Alexey
FORMOLO Davide
COLLI Daniele
ANACONA GOMEZ Winner Andrew
OLIVIER Daan
CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban
GERDEMANN Linus

Turns out Le Bon is my most unique pick, should be good to cheer for. Also, the guy who was on my team the last 2 years but not this year wins the Aussie TT champs while one of my stalwart picks gets crashed by a whirlwind. An inauspicious start.

Although I am listed as 2 uniques, I have Chavanel's brother, whic seems to have a mispelling of his first name Sebastien /Sebastian (my spelling in bold), which leaves me with Viviani as a unique pick,

GO ELIA

EDIT : Scratch that I have another unique pick

The most surprising for me is that Phinney has been picked so many times. Sure, he's good but where is he improve and double his score? CQ wise he had his best season in 2012 scoring 849 points, but 288 of those were earned in the Olympics meaning he only scored 561 points in other races.

I'm not saying he necessarily is a bad pick, but I'm curious why so many picked him?

Except Howson was always going to finish 4th or better, and underperformed in terms of time/speed. Being 2 minutes slower than Hepburn/Durbridge gets you very little in Europe, plenty of time to find form though (if he doesn't go to Dubai/Qatar the first race that suits him is 3DDP).

Ferminal said:
Except Howson was always going to finish 4th or better, and underperformed in terms of time/speed. Being 2 minutes slower than Hepburn/Durbridge gets you very little in Europe, plenty of time to find form though (if he doesn't go to Dubai/Qatar the first race that suits him is 3DDP).

Oh, I didn't realise that he was 2 minutes down. In fact that's actually not a very promising start then :eek:

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Pozzato is my only unique pick... It will be fun to cheer for him in the classics. I can understand why he is a unique pick but for some strange reason I always expect him to stay with Cancellara and Boonen on the cobbles.(I think he got the talent but his attitude and luck should change).

Hugo Koblet said:
The most surprising for me is that Phinney has been picked so many times. Sure, he's good but where is he improve and double his score? CQ wise he had his best season in 2012 scoring 849 points, but 288 of those were earned in the Olympics meaning he only scored 561 points in other races.

I'm not saying he necessarily is a bad pick, but I'm curious why so many picked him?

Well Phinney was 21/22 years old in 2012, so even if you count in the Olympics or not I think he should have some scope for improvement now that he is 23/24 this year. He was not one of my first 15/16 (of which Wiggo and De Gendt were actually cut...), but I feel he is quite a safe pick. Good in TT, has a decent sprint and handles cobbles fairly well.

GP Blanco said:
Seven out of ten most picked riders and one unique pick who won't score much. I might end up somewhere mid-table.

last year's ten most picked riders:

SCHLECK Andy 119
HUSHOVD Thor 118
THOMAS Geraint 104
BOBRIDGE Jack 103
GILBERT Philippe 94
NUYENS Nick 90
KENNAUGH Peter 81
COBO ACEBO Juan Jose 80
PINOT Thibaut 76
DOMBROWSKI Joseph Lloyd 74

just two essential picks really. Will probably be more this year, but it doesn't have to mean much.

Hugo Koblet said:
So 16 teams with Hepburn will probably be very happy now. Also 16 teams (including myself) will be satisfied with Howson's promising start.

I only missed Durbridge, did anyone have all 3?

Ferminal said:

It's his first year as a pro- Hepburn has taken two years to win this. I'm sure if he does improve, or even stays near this level he will be fine, most of the ITT's are not this long except for in GT's and last year 43.5km (U23 WC ITT) was his longest ITT (i think).

Hugo Koblet said:

I've him, so he's a good pick :D
He can win some ITT and get some good points in 2.HC races with an ITT and no mountains...

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a little problem with my team. I forgot to include a 800 points rider(Majka) so my team is only 6650 points now. Is there any way another cyclist that is around 800 points will be added(Majka or any other decent pick) so I can have a fair chance this year?

PS:he could replace one of my 0 pointers I guess...

The Hitch said:
4 years, and never once made this list:D

And am a perennial presence on this list:D As is MC. If I remember correctly we are the last 2 winners of this list

i may well have been high on it the first couple of years, but not so much last year when yeah you were top.

link to Armchair's post

2013 popularity

1798 The Hitch
1751 MADRAZO
1721 Afrank
1717 LaFlorecita
1664 Duartista
1663 FF'Wilco
1659 shalgo
1659 VeloRooms
1639 the asian
1627 skidmark
----
1413 SteelyDan (approx 35th)

IlPirata92 said:
I have a little problem with my team. I forgot to include a 800 points rider(Majka) so my team is only 6650 points now. Is there any way another cyclist that is around 800 points will be added(Majka or any other decent pick) so I can have a fair chance this year?

PS:he could replace one of my 0 pointers I guess...

this is the team as submitted to skidmark

GESINK Robert 782
TALANSKY Andrew 755
COQUARD Bryan 742
PHINNEY Taylor 475
STANNARD Ian 424
DURBRIDGE Luke 412
JUNGELS Bob 372
MOSER Moreno 353
VAN DEN BROECK Jurgen 341
RATTO Daniele 262
PINOTTI Marco 248
PIRAZZI Stefano 239
BRAJKOVIC Janez 224
MARKUS Barry 209
HOOGERLAND Johnny 190
BELLETTI Manuel 167
DE GENDT Thomas 154
TAARAMÄE Rein 143
BOONEN Tom 139
KRUOPIS Aidis 132
SCHLECK Andy 99
DOMBROWSKI Joseph Lloyd 97
VANENDERT Jelle 96
KENNAUGH Peter 93
VRECER Robert 65
ZAUGG Oliver 65
DE KORT Koen 55
KESSIAKOFF Fredrik 42
ANACONA GOMEZ Winner Andrew 20
SCHNAIDT Fabian 12
CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban 0
HAEDO Juan Jose 0
GERDEMANN Linus 0

Total 7407

so you're ok it terms of using the majority of the budget. i think it would be a bad precedent to allow changes now.

if you ever want to see how well the team would have done with Majka in it, in the spreadsheet (due to be released soon) you can copy and paste his name from CQ (deleting the space at the end) over the rider you want to replace, and it will pull his score through. you can have fun rocketing up the table (as i did last year when i replaced strongly considered Quintana and Ciolek for poorly performing Evans and Lutsenko - just these two changes would have got me ~top10*)

*i guess similar changes would have propelled many other teams to similar heights.

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
mc_mountain said:
this is the team as submitted to skidmark

GESINK Robert 782
TALANSKY Andrew 755
COQUARD Bryan 742
PHINNEY Taylor 475
STANNARD Ian 424
DURBRIDGE Luke 412
JUNGELS Bob 372
MOSER Moreno 353
VAN DEN BROECK Jurgen 341
RATTO Daniele 262
PINOTTI Marco 248
PIRAZZI Stefano 239
BRAJKOVIC Janez 224
MARKUS Barry 209
HOOGERLAND Johnny 190
BELLETTI Manuel 167
DE GENDT Thomas 154
TAARAMÄE Rein 143
BOONEN Tom 139
KRUOPIS Aidis 132
SCHLECK Andy 99
DOMBROWSKI Joseph Lloyd 97
VANENDERT Jelle 96
KENNAUGH Peter 93
VRECER Robert 65
ZAUGG Oliver 65
DE KORT Koen 55
KESSIAKOFF Fredrik 42
ANACONA GOMEZ Winner Andrew 20
SCHNAIDT Fabian 12
CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban 0
HAEDO Juan Jose 0
GERDEMANN Linus 0

Total 7407

so you're ok it terms of using the majority of the budget. i think it would be a bad precedent to allow changes now.

if you ever want to see how well the team would have done with Majka in it, in the spreadsheet (due to be released soon) you can copy and paste his name from CQ (deleting the space at the end) over the rider you want to replace, and it will pull his score through. you can have fun rocketing up the table (as i did last year when i replaced strongly considered Quintana and Ciolek for poorly performing Evans and Lutsenko - just these two changes would have got me ~top10*)

*i guess similar changes would have propelled many other teams to similar heights.

I just realised my spreadsheet was the reason I thought my team was 6650 points. Gesink was there with the score and everything but when I deleted him there was no difference. So my spreadsheet didn't registred Gesink score so I thought i left Majka out(a rider I strongly considered). Everything is right now! I should've checked everything first...

mc_mountain said:
i may well have been high on it the first couple of years, but not so much last year when yeah you were top.

link to Armchair's post

2013 popularity

1798 The Hitch
1751 MADRAZO
1721 Afrank
1717 LaFlorecita
1664 Duartista
1663 FF'Wilco
1659 shalgo
1659 VeloRooms
1639 the asian
1627 skidmark
----
1413 SteelyDan (approx 35th)

in 2012 skibby did the honours (giving them from rarest, ie the other way up to the above) link.

117 bicing 1329
118 MADRAZO 1344
119 minessa 1347
120 shalgo 1352
121 FF'Wilco 1404
122 Ruudz0r 1405
123 The Hitch 1405
124 Froome19 1413
125 skidmark 1434
126 Kvinto 1480

So eventual winner Skidmark well placed (Kvinto was second, FF'Wilco 4th, shalgo 9th and hitch just outside the top 10.

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
mc_mountain said:
teams with unique riders - subject to change

olafjt 13
Trudgin 10
wizard_of_oz 9
---Dim--- 8
badbrainaj 8
comodoro 7
Side_Shadow 7
Somar13 6
uspostal 6
Hugo87 5
Josedin 5
Nicosix 5
ray200 5
Team_Roubaix 5
coinneach 4
CQmanager 4
Crevaison 4
karaev 4
kiilike 4
Leadbelly 4
Panda_Claws 4
SteelyDan 4
cj2002 3
DJ_Sprtsch 3
fraserhughes 3
freshman 3
highoctane 3
King_Of_The_Worlds 3
Martin 3
NairoQ 3
Pentacycle 3
petaldo 3
R_O_Shipman 3
tanja 3
Yellow_Knight 3
Zam_Olyas 3
----AG---- 2
Açordas_Team 2
del1962 2
EvansIsTheBest 2
Falze 2
Geraint_Too_Fast 2
Londonpat 2
Ludwigzgz 2
Manafana 2
Martinaagaard 2
mutschi 2
Popchu 2
SamJourno 2
simple 2
sublimit 2
trotters_aotearoa 2
vladimir 2
WonderLance 2
yoyokt 2
adamski101 1
al_pacino 1
ansimi 1
Armchair_cyclist 1
asdfgh101 1
auto_de_fé 1
CraZyCaLL 1
derrudi 1
Eyeballs_Out 1
fauniera 1
Ferminal 1
GP_Blanco 1
greenedge 1
Grimm 1
hilltopfinisher 1
IlPirata92 1
ironted 1
ItalianGigolo 1
Jancouver 1
just_some_guy 1
Lamme_Frans 1
Reno 1
Ruudz0r 1
rywann 1
Slow_Rider 1
The_Amateur 1
the_asian 1
VeloRooms 1
waleweter 1

How can i find out who my 10 unique riders are:eek:... that would be interesting.. I can guess at some of them but hoping there is a surprise in there..:D