• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2014 World Tour at the (Roughly) Halfway Point

We're roughly halfway through the World Tour of 2014, which, between one day races, road stages, individual time trials, a couple of prologues and the odd team time trial offers 166 opportunities to post wins this year. Technically, only 76 of those wins have been allocated but since the actual halfway point comes after Stage Seven of the Dauphine I'm calling it half done for the sake of seeing where we are.

The most obvious thing that leaps out is that World Tour races are overwhelmingly won by riders from World Tour teams. Of the 76 wins so far, World Tour teams took 72. The four they didn't take were Matteo Pelucchi of IAM Cycling's Stage Two win at Tirreno-Adriatico and the trio of wins posted by Bardiani-CSF riders on Stages Thirteen, Fourteen, and Seventeen at the Giro d'Italia (so all four non-World Tour riders who've won World Tour races are Italian).

Those races that World Tour team riders did win are listed below. The World Tour team with the most World Tour wins is Orica GreenEdge with ten. Team Europcar has none, so IAM Cycling has them beat there. Bardiani-CSF's three World Tour wins puts them better than seven World Tour teams (and even with three) on total World Tour wins.

World Tour Teams/World Tour Wins to date

AG2R La Mondiale | 3
Paris-Nice Stage Five | Betancur
Paris-Nice Stage Six | Betancur
Paris-Nice Overall | Betancur

Astana | 2
Volta Ciclista a Catalunya Stage Seven | Westra
Giro d'Italia Stage Fifteen | Aru

Belkin-Pro Cycling Team | 2
Paris-Nice Stage Two | Hofland
Volta Ciclista a Catalunya Stage Six | Clement

BMC Racing Team | 3
Tour Down Under Stage Three | Evans
Volta Ciclista a Catalunya Stage Four | Van Garderen
Amstel Gold Race | Gilbert

Cannondale | 2
Tirreno-Adriatico Stage Three | Sagan
E3 Harelbeke | Sagan

FDJ.fr | 5
Paris-Nice Stage One | Bouhanni
Paris-Nice Stage Eight | Vichot
Giro d'Italia Stage Four | Bouhanni
Giro d'Italia Stage Seven | Bouhanni
Giro d'Italia Stage Ten | Bouhanni

Garmin Sharp | 2
Paris-Nice Stage Four | Slagter
Paris-Nice Stage Seven | Slagter

Lampre-Merida | 3
Tour Down Under Stage Two | Ulissi
Giro d'Italia Stage Five | Ulissi
Giro D'Italia Stage Eight | Ulissi

Lotto Belisol | 2
Tour Down Under Stage Four | Greipel
Tour Down Under Stage Six | Greipel

Movistar Team | 5
Tirenno-Adriatico Stage Seven (TT) | Malori
La Fleche Wallone | Valverde
Giro d'Italia Stage Sixteen | Quintana
Giro d'Italia Stage Nineteen (TT) | Quintana
Giro d'Italia Overall | Quintana

Omega Pharma - Quick-Step | 8
Tirreno-Adriatico Stage One (TTT)
Tirreno-Adriatico Stage Six | Cavendish
Vuelta Ciclista al Pais Vasco Stage Two | Martin
Vuelta Ciclista al Pais Vasco Stage Four | Poels
Vuelta Ciclista al Pais Vasco Stage Six (TT) | Martin
Paris-Roubaix | Terpstra
Tour de Romandie Prologue | Kwiatkowski
Giro d'Italia Stage Twelve (TT) | Uran

Orica GreenEdge | 10
Tour Down Under Stage One | Gerrans
Tour Down Under Overall | Gerrans
Vuelta Ciclista al Pais Vasco Stage Three | Matthews
Liege-Bastogne-Liege | Gerrans
Tour de Romandie Stage One | Albasini
Tour de Romandie Stage Two | Albasini
Tour de Romandie Stage Four | Albasini
Giro d'Italia Stage One (TTT)
Giro d'Italia Stage Six | Matthews
Giro d'Italia Stage Nine | Weening

Team Europcar | 0

Team Giant-Shimano | 8
Paris-Nice Stage Three | Degenkolb
Volta Ciclista a Catalunya Stage One | Mezgec
Volta Ciclista a Catalunya Stage Two | Mezgec
Volta Ciclista a Catalunya Stage Five | Mezgec
Gent-Wevelgem in Flanders Fields | Degenkolb
Giro d'Italia Stage Two | Kittel
Girl d'Italia Stage Three | Kittel
Giro d'Italia Stage Twenty-one | Mezgec

Team Katusha | 4
Milan-San Remo | Kristoff
Volta Ciclista a Catalunya Stage Three | Rodriguez
Volta Ciclista a Catalunya Overall | Rodriguez
Tour de Romandie Stage Three | Spilak

Team Sky | 4
Tour Down Under Stage Five | Porte
Vuelta Ciclista a Pais Vasco Stage Five | Swift
Tour de Romandie Stage Five (TT) | Froome
Tour de Romandie Overall | Froome

Tinkoff - Saxo | 7
Tirreno-Adriatico Stage Four | Contador
Tirreno-Adriatico Stage Five | Contador
Tirreno-Adriatico Overall | Contador
Vuelta Ciclista a Pais Vasco Stage One | Contador
Vuelta Ciclista a Pais Vasco Overall | Contador
Giro d'Italia Stage Eleven | Rogers
Giro d'Italia Stage Twenty | Rogers

Trek Factory Racing | 2
Ronde van Vlaanderen/Tour des Flandres | Cancellara
Giro d'Italia Stage Eighteen | Arredondo

Jspear said:
Nice job collecting all this! Have you heard on CQ rankings?....I like to think of it as a glorified WT system. :D It shows a more accurate picture of who is performing well through out the year, because it includes more than just the WT races....kinda nice.

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/cqRankingRider.asp?current=1

Thank you! I just looked at CQ for the first time a day or two, actually. I'm thinking about participating in the board's Tour de France game based on those rankings (assuming there is such a game), so I went to look at it. So much data! I must admit I like the interface at ProCyclingStats a little better (and they update with results much faster), but CQ is definitely a treasure trove, yeah.

I mainly worked up this post because I was curious to find out how far along in the World Tour "season" we are, and wanted to see which, if any Pro Continental Teams are going as well as Pro Tour teams. And I wanted to see if Cannondale was really doing as pitifully as some have suggested. I was sorry to see Garmin Sharp's showing.

All that said, yeah, I like the idea of taking all the other pro races into acccount. I haven't looked into how CQ generates their numbers yet, but I'm assuming they have some kind of weighted scoring system for performances in WT vs. HC vs. other ranked races, right?

christopherrowe said:
Thank you! I just looked at CQ for the first time a day or two, actually. I'm thinking about participating in the board's Tour de France game based on those rankings (assuming there is such a game), so I went to look at it. So much data! I must admit I like the interface at ProCyclingStats a little better (and they update with results much faster), but CQ is definitely a treasure trove, yeah.

I mainly worked up this post because I was curious to find out how far along in the World Tour "season" we are, and wanted to see which, if any Pro Continental Teams are going as well as Pro Tour teams. And I wanted to see if Cannondale was really doing as pitifully as some have suggested. I was sorry to see Garmin Sharp's showing.

All that said, yeah, I like the idea of taking all the other pro races into acccount. I haven't looked into how CQ generates their numbers yet, but I'm assuming they have some kind of weighted scoring system for performances in WT vs. HC vs. other ranked races, right?

You can see how they rank things here.

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/pointsTablesM.asp