The 2019 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Hi all, and welcome to the 2019 CQ Ranking Manager Game! This is the ninth edition of the game. Please see below for some history, basics, and more specific rules related to dates, dopers, etc.

History

The game was launched on December 8th 2010 by cyclingnews forum poster Hugo Koblet. His idea was to have a game where you build a cycling team from the website cqranking.com and its comprehensive numerical rankings of riders. What was originally meant to be a 25-team max competition that Hugo reserved the right to cancel if there was lack of interest became the most successful game in cyclingnews forum history, and has expanded to velorooms forums as well.

Hugo successfully ran the game for 3 years, and it bred various offshoots, such as a youth game, seasonal games (classics and GTs), emerging riders and riders in decline games. I took over organizing the main game for 2014 when Hugo got too busy, and have done so for the past five years. See the second post in this thread for a roll of honour of yearly champions.


That is it for preamble. Let’s go through the more comprehensive set of rules:

Basics

The game is based on the point system developed by the website www.cqranking.com. Based on this system you will have to select a team of between 25 and 33 riders whose combined value doesn’t exceed 7500 points. 7500 points is a fair bit under the mean for the ProTour teams whose mean for 2018 is 8853. 7500 is closest to the amount of points Lotto Soudal made this season, the 14th ranked of the 18 WT teams.

Your aim then is to select a team of riders who will increase their 2018 score the most during the 2019 season. The winner of the game is the one who has selected the team with the highest combined value when the game ends.


1. How the game works

1.1. Start & Finish
The season starts when the first race giving CQ points is held (which is the Aussie National Road Championships on January 6th) and ends when the last major race (.1 or higher) is held. The winner will be crowned when the next update after the last major race is out.*

*An extension will be granted to the end of season if it is very close at the top. If any teams are within 100 points of the leader after the last major race, the season will be automatically extended until the final race of the year unless all teams within 100 points explicitly concede. As well, anyone in the top 10 can extend the season by PMing me a request to do so before the last major race starts.

(The reason for this rule is that although minor races go through December, it is rare to have a rider in the game participate in these races, so it is sensible to end the season when people are still generally watching cycling. But if it's a very close race, it's important to crown the person who picked the best team for the year.)

1.2 Updates
Each week we will publish an update with a top 10 and a list of the high scorers and high jumpers. This will sometimes be by me, and sometimes by others – I will be setting a tentative schedule based on volunteers.

2. On doping

2.1. On ex-dopers
All riders are available to choose, except for riders who are provisionally suspended by the UCI (as of their most recent list).

Riders who have been suspended for doping and had that affect their 2018 score will not be available simply for their 2018 score. Instead, a rider’s value will be equivalent to that of his last full season; or, if he has more recently had a (not full, due to suspension) season in which he has earned more points, that season represents his value. Riders who have been suspended by the UCI (ie. Not merely provisionally suspended) are on this list.

Therefore, you can pick any rider you like, but if you want to take Davide Appollonio, for example (his suspension ends in 2019), his positive result and suspension came from 2015, meaning his last 'full' season was 2014, in which he scored 237 points. He scored fewer points in his 'partial' 2015 season (102), so his cost is his last 'full' season. But if he had scored, say, 300 points in 2015, that would be his cost instead.

Hopefully the lists I've provided and the rules are clear enough, but if you make an error I will try to let you know if any of your submissions fall into this category.

2.2. Riders getting caught during the season
If you include a rider in your team who gets caught with his hands in the cookie jar, nothing happens right away. Your rider keeps his points unless the cqranking.com deletes his results before the end of the game.

Basically, the value of a rider on cqranking.com always stands.

3. Submitting your team

3.1. How do I?

You pick between 25 and 33 riders whose combined value doesn’t exceed 7500 points and send the list to me.

As I will manually have to include the teams into the Microsoft Excel file which keeps track of the scores, please be careful that you send your team to me based on the correct formula. I don’t take any responsibility for any error you might make. If I spot an error I will do my best to contact you but I can’t guarantee anything. Of course, if you have any questions feel free to ask either here in this thread or by sending a personal message.

The layout you need to use is this:

VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro
SAGAN Peter
Etc.

Nothing else. No point scores after the name. Also, be careful that there is no “space” after the name, because I will have to delete it manually, but can't always detect these things in time for the game. If there is an error that isn't discovered until after the game starts, and that error makes your team ineligible (eg. if it puts your team over the limit) the rider will simply be deleted from the team without replacement.

To make things easier for both you and me I will link to a file for you to download in which you can type in your team and it will automatically show you the value of each rider as well as the aggregated value of your team. Then you will just have to copy your team (names only) directly from this file and send it to me.

Hopefully this clears any misunderstandings of a rider’s value as well as reduces the number of errors made in a team sent to me.

3.2. When do I?
The first race of the season will start January 6, so I want to have your team in hand on January 4 at the latest.

There are two deadlines: a submission deadline and a revision/publication deadline, spaced 24 hours apart. This is to address the issue brought up in recent years about whether it is 'fair' to allow changes after teams have seen the teams of other players, and for 'late' submissions. I would like to make this a game that is accessible to as many people as possible, yet preserve that element of fairness. So, the submission deadline will be when I want to have received all the teams. The revision and publication deadline is to allow a 24-hour period for me to look over the teams and allow a chance to people to change their team in case of error, before having access to a list of riders that other teams picked. If you get mixed up with the time zone or unexpectedly don't have internet access around the submission deadline, I will accept teams up to the revision deadline at my discretion, but if allowed those teams will not have the chance to revise in case of error.

The submission deadline is 23:59 (CET) January 3rd, so early January 4th for Aussies and sometime earlier on January 3rd for North Americans. The revision and publication deadline is 24 hours later; I would ask that people refrain from posting the riders on their team until after that, so midnight CET on the start of January 5th.

Please note that even though it feels as though the season is over, it’s actually not. There are still a bit of racing to be done and CQ points to be handed out that could affect the value of a rider you have picked. It is always possible that an obscure rider may score points in a small race at the end of season, or that CQ will adjust points for an earlier season race for whatever reason (eg. readjusting points for suspended dopers) Be mindful of these changes.

cqranking.com usually uploads the final update of the season on December 31, and the values in this update are the ones we’re using. However, the changes are usually very small so there’s no reason why you can’t start selecting your team already today!

**Disclaimer: ensuring your team is full of eligible riders and is on budget is your responsibility. If I notice you are over budget or have an ineligible rider I will send you a message, but if you don't get back to me in time, or I don't catch it before the deadline, I will simply remove one rider to make your budget work. Obviously it is to your advantage to be able to choose all your riders, so please be diligent.**

Create Your Team

Hugo created a very helpful file in 2012, referred to above, that helps avoid any errors in calculation and helps ensure you are formatting your rider names correctly. I would encourage everyone to use this option, especially if you are not confident in your spreadsheet creating skills. Please use the file attached here to create your team, then copy and paste the rider names to send to me by PM once you have it correct. Thank you.

**note: the 'create your team' file has not yet been manually updated to include different scores for dopers as per rule 2.1, so it is currently wholly your responsibility to account for this.**

I think that about covers everything. If you have any questions or if I forgot to add or explain anything, please let me know.
 
This post is reserved to list submitted teams as they come in. If you have submitted a team recently and don't see it appear within 24 hours, please message me to see what is up. Teams on the list marked with an asterisk need a change, and I have messaged you with the details.

Here are the 60 submitted teams as of 8:00pm CET, January 2nd:

LaFlorecita
vladimir
comodoro
Akuryo*
Koronin
Martin
Salvarani
Jon_Ezeitza
Joelsim
Leadbelly
armchairclimber
NorthAmericanScum*
rote_laterne
drebelo
Hakkie2
Total Package
triley36
scrooll07
Carlo Algatrensig
Nicosix
Object
Lortnoc
Riverside
Tonton
bminchow
Vitapen
Shawnm4747
will10
search
Popchu
tobydawq
torcia_86
fauniera
DFA123
escartin
zlev11
PeterB
ChrisDK
Sneekes
Kazistuta
flashke
LosBrolin
Sestriere
del1962
Crevaison
Eric10
adamski101
Jpettersen
Falze
Nathanptz
Hugo Koblet
Kryvo
barmaher
Simurgh
Mayomaniac
Jancouver
oliveira
Josedin
GP Blanco
Armchair Cyclist

Also, here is the role of honour from previous years:

2011 – 87 participants
1. ingsve – 13897 points
2. Waterloo Sunrise – 13450
3. mc_mountain – 12670

2012 – 129 participants
1. skidmark – 19345 points
2. Kvinto – 18087
3. Nyssinator – 17761

2013 – 132 participants
1. SteelyDan – 13094 points
2. Geraint Too Fast – 13074
3. will10 – 12986

2014 – 150 participants
1. Pentacycle – 14367 points
2. Cykeltyven – 13693
3. Ruudz0r - 13609

2015 – 155 participants
1. Cykeltyven – 16209 points
2. skidmark - 15616
3. snccdcno - 15412

2016 – 144 participants
1. skidmark – 15392 points
2. jeroenk - 14707
3. abbulf – 14448

2017 – 131 participants
1. fauniera – 15867 points
2. the asian - 15698
3. GP Blanco - 15217

2018 – 129 participants
1. ruvu75 – 16513 points
2. Squire - 16099
3. trackstand - 15832
 
Let me be the first to say thank you for continuing my favourite game! After an abysmal 2018 I naturally started early with my team for 2019, so I expect to submit it already this afternoon. Estimated score for my team for 2019 is around 19500 points :surprised:
 
I had one of the worst teams in 2016 a decent one in 2017 and a top ten team in 2018. Next step: podium in 2019 :D
Can't wait, it has already become unimaginable to have a cycling season without this game. Thanks for hosting it again skidmark
 
You know it's almost Christmas when... ;)

It's so hard picking a team this year. Almost no super picks, and most of the 'obvious' ones have some uncertainty hanging over them. Not a lot of straightforward 'bad season due to collarbone fracture' or something like that. Quite a few viable expensive picks, though. Getting the right combination here will be crucial, and will depend on luck, mostly.

I don't necessarily expect to be fighting near the top this year. So many things can go wrong. I also expect low scores. Maybe the winner can strike very lucky, but I think 10th or 20th will score way lower than 10th or 20th this year. How you can get 19500 estimated points, vladimir, I really don't understand! :D
 
Last year was my first attempt at playing and finished mid pack. (Thank you Valverde, Trepstra, and Hoged specifically for that). Have a team which fits into the points, but am not completely happy with it. I want a sprinter that's not too expensive, but don't trust the two big names who struggled last year. My team will also be a bit more diverse (team wise) this year.
 
Re:

Squire said:
It's so hard picking a team this year. Almost no super picks, and most of the 'obvious' ones have some uncertainty hanging over them. Not a lot of straightforward 'bad season due to collarbone fracture' or something like that. Quite a few viable expensive picks, though. Getting the right combination here will be crucial, and will depend on luck, mostly.

I don't necessarily expect to be fighting near the top this year. So many things can go wrong. I also expect low scores.
Agree. It is extremely difficult this year. So many possible strategies.
 
My team is in

Had to make some amendments to my team which was ready since early November after CQ changed the San Juan results :mad:

My team might as well be my christmas card list and most of them have barely left kindergarten
 
May 31, 2011
84
2
8,685
3rd time I did it last season and I ended 22nd which is:

* good - my first 2 attempts ended below 100th and I had 19 picks in common with the winner
* bad - I was 12th with 2 weeks to go and despite having 19 picks in common with the winner I finished nearly 3,000 points behind him

I have a list of riders that caught my attention during the season as potential picks but I have done nothing with them. as everyone has says I can't really think of many must-have obvious riders yet.
 
Ok, team sent in. When you don't have much work in Dec you can have time to work on your team for the new season, even if it's not helping to pay bills. :lol: Unlike last year my team isn't Movistar and Quickstep heavy (too many QS riders just too expensive this year for me). For me there were a couple of must have riders on my team (but easily may not be on other teams) and there were a couple of no way I'm taking him because I just don't trust him (for different reasons).
 
LaFlorecita said:
My team is in

Had to make some amendments to my team which was ready since early November after CQ changed the San Juan results :mad:

My team might as well be my christmas card list and most of them have barely left kindergarten
LOL. As your team have barely left kindergarden, I had to check average age of my own team as I felt that I had picked mostly riders that have been around a long time. But in fact average age of my team is less than 26 years, so it's just that many of them started their professional career quite early. And I think this is the first year I don't have one single neo pro in my team.
 
As I read your comments, probably nobody will be 100% satisfieed with his team. I dont want to waste anymore time this Christmas, I submitted my 2nd draft, as I only once broke into top 20, and that was a year when I picked riders after only 2-3 hours decisions making.
Good luck to you all.
Now the most interesting part of the game comes: when I see your picks and read your thoughts why you've picked them:)
 
vladimir said:
LaFlorecita said:
My team is in

Had to make some amendments to my team which was ready since early November after CQ changed the San Juan results :mad:

My team might as well be my christmas card list and most of them have barely left kindergarten
LOL. As your team have barely left kindergarden, I had to check average age of my own team as I felt that I had picked mostly riders that have been around a long time. But in fact average age of my team is less than 26 years, so it's just that many of them started their professional career quite early. And I think this is the first year I don't have one single neo pro in my team.
My average age is 24.8 with 16 of them under 25. I do have a couple neos but in fact quite a few 2nd year pros. In terms of favorites I find myself leaning more and more to younger riders. There are only 3 riders in my team I am not entirely happy with because of the teams they are on (guess the teams!). 1 of them was a late swap-in after the San Juan results reshuffle got me over budget.
 
Re:

Koronin said:
Ok, team sent in. When you don't have much work in Dec you can have time to work on your team for the new season, even if it's not helping to pay bills. :lol: Unlike last year my team isn't Movistar and Quickstep heavy (too many QS riders just too expensive this year for me). For me there were a couple of must have riders on my team (but easily may not be on other teams) and there were a couple of no way I'm taking him because I just don't trust him (for different reasons).
Martin said:
As I read your comments, probably nobody will be 100% satisfieed with his team. I dont want to waste anymore time this Christmas, I submitted my 2nd draft, as I only once broke into top 20, and that was a year when I picked riders after only 2-3 hours decisions making.
Good luck to you all.
Now the most interesting part of the game comes: when I see your picks and read your thoughts why you've picked them:)
Salvarani said:
Team submitted :)
Shameless promotion: if you can't get enough of CQ browsing, the Youth CQ Ranking Game is also open for submissions :)
 
Jan 3, 2018
75
0
680
I have already sent my team :) .
Last year was my first year and I became a leader during the first weeks :surprised: . In the end, I finished quite behind :mad: .
This year I have radically changed my strategy and I present a youth team, with which I hope to be very high in the standings :D .
 
Okay, I've processed all the early entries over the last few days, and as of now we have 12 submissions, fairly in line with previous pre-xmas years. I also gave my provisional team to LaFlorecita (the first to send in a team).

This will be an interesting year! I can't wait to see the various strategies people have settled on. I always love that time in the new year when it's just time to analyze all the teams and wait for the first results to come in.

Keep the teams coming, all!
 
Jun 30, 2014
5,465
0
0
My team is pretty much 100% sure, I just need to fix a few minor things and submit it durning the next few days.
 
I went top heavy last year with 3 1k plus riders. This year trying a more even spread with none in that bracket. I think there are a few "must haves" that most people will have. Outside of that it's a fascinating year. Can't wait to see everyone's teams. And the TDU can't come soon enough.
 
Dec 27, 2016
93
0
1,680
I can't do this. It is too hard. I spent my whole christmas day trying to figure this out and I can't. It will be fun to see what people do with their line ups because there are so many ways to go this year. Do you guys submit your line ups and then completely change them before the first race? That's where I'm headed. I wish I had some favorite riders so I could just pick them but I don't even have a favorite team. It's hard being an American (for many reasons these days) but I feel like I'm missing the vibe you get in europe for cycling. Maybe it's time to pick a favorite rider. But if I did that it would be Sagan and that's not original. I know. I'll go heavy on the young americans, if there are any. Happy Boxing Day!
 
bminchow said:
I can't do this. It is too hard. I spent my whole christmas day trying to figure this out and I can't. It will be fun to see what people do with their line ups because there are so many ways to go this year. Do you guys submit your line ups and then completely change them before the first race? That's where I'm headed. I wish I had some favorite riders so I could just pick them but I don't even have a favorite team. It's hard being an American (for many reasons these days) but I feel like I'm missing the vibe you get in europe for cycling. Maybe it's time to pick a favorite rider. But if I did that it would be Sagan and that's not original. I know. I'll go heavy on the young americans, if there are any. Happy Boxing Day!
You can do it. I'm also American (know how you feel about it not being easy these days). One young American rider is worth looking at. No idea how good he can be, but he has some potential. Also EF Education First probably has the most American riders in their line up. From my profile picture (and many of my posts) I'm sure you can figure out that Valverde is my favorite rider. As an American having a favorite rider being a Spaniard whose English is not very good and doesn't do interviews in any language other than Spanish it can very difficult. (I have great friends, Spaniards, who are more than willing to give me summary translations.)
 
Mar 14, 2009
2,736
0
0
Koronin said:
bminchow said:
I can't do this. It is too hard. I spent my whole christmas day trying to figure this out and I can't. It will be fun to see what people do with their line ups because there are so many ways to go this year. Do you guys submit your line ups and then completely change them before the first race? That's where I'm headed. I wish I had some favorite riders so I could just pick them but I don't even have a favorite team. It's hard being an American (for many reasons these days) but I feel like I'm missing the vibe you get in europe for cycling. Maybe it's time to pick a favorite rider. But if I did that it would be Sagan and that's not original. I know. I'll go heavy on the young americans, if there are any. Happy Boxing Day!
You can do it. I'm also American (know how you feel about it not being easy these days). One young American rider to keep your eye on is .... No idea how good he can be, but he has some potential. Also EF Education First probably has the most American riders in their line up. Former US Champ ... will be with AG2R this year. From my profile picture (and many of my posts) I'm sure you can figure out that Valverde is my favorite rider. As an American having a favorite rider being a Spaniard whose English is not very good and doesn't do interviews in any language other than Spanish it can very difficult. (I have great friends, Spaniards, who are more than willing to give me summary translations.)
CQmanager game rule #1 ... No name dropping in this thread!

@bminchow
BTW here you do not pick and change your team on weekly basis but you have one team the entire season ... just in case you thought of this as some NFL fantasy BS
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts