• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2019 UAE Tour (24/02 - 02/03)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Red Rick said:
Wonders how Bahrein did so well in the TTT

Remembers Rohan Dennis joined Bahrein.

Anyway, good to see TTT gaps aren't too big

They also acquired Tratnik who has probably been the best pro continental time trialist the past couple of years.*

*I haven't thought this all the way through but I have noticed that time trials typically are very difficult for non-WT teams.

Re: Re:

sir fly said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
They ar second at only 7 seconds. I don't think they are too bothered.
Nothing worrisome, of course.
They were 7" in front at the halfway point. Maybe the break Dumoulin needed to asses his condition.
Jumbo rode an excellent trial, as far as my expectations reached, at least.

They were 2'' in front. You read too much into this. Sunweb simply didn't have as many good TTers as Jumbo and the few excellent TT guys (Dumoulin, Kelderman and to a lesser extent Arndt and Haga) had to / choose to tire themselves more in the first half.

As the result goes I wouldn't be too unhappy were I Dumoulin or Kelderman, Jumbo had excellent team for the TT but they have a good starting position as well.

Velolover2 said:
Blanco said:
Velolover2 said:
Bennett vs. Ewan on Hatta Dam? :D

I think it's too easy for Kwai and Valverde.

I think Valverde finished 3rd couple of years ago, so I think he has a shot there...
He finished 2nd behind Degenkolb.

As little as 300-400 m of hard gradients is enough to favor him and eliminate most sprinters. But Hatta Dam is only 200 m.

I'd go with a small, light sprinter like Ewan for that type of finish.

If there's just enough hard gradients (although more like 300 meters to 200 meters) it will favor Valverde as all he needs is to drop the pure sprinters as he doesn't appear to have lost much if any speed from when he first turned pro and at that time he was a 2nd tier sprinter or at least that's what many thought he was. Even the 200 m is enough to eliminate many of the pure sprinters. So it's likely he'll be in the mix, especially with bonus seconds on the line.

18 second time loss to Sunweb and less to everyone is about the best Movistar could hope for with the TTT. This also means Valverde is going to have to go after bonus seconds where he can find them.

The fact that it's 200 m of 11% and not 300 m of the same gradient makes a huge the difference for the fast guys. I don't think Hatta Dam is a puncheur climb. It's more of a power-sprinter bump.

Valverde will struggle to finish in top 3 with Ewan, Bennett and even Gaviria in the race.

Re:

tobydawq said:
It could be crazy cross-winds tomorrow.

Apparently 30kmh (19mph) winds @ about 4PM. They'll be travelling South-west on their way back to Abu Dhabi, the win coming from Noth-West so there could be crosswinds.
qj3yAWc.jpg

jaylew said:
Lequack said:
Tony Martin's first win in over 2 years (basically all his time in Katusha), excluding the national ITT. So it's definitely a good morale booster for him.

Post race win interview with Tony Martin:
https://twitter.com/aaronshanelee/status/1099691428525965312

7XwrKsB.png

Did Tony actually get dropped by the rest of the team? Looks like he finished a couple minutes down.

He did yes. If it was the plan I don't know, but he must've done a monster pull and then peeled off.

TRENDING THREADS