• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2020 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My memory is a bit blurry after a few beers, but if PM now is "starting conversation" I think I have submitted my team:cool:. I kinda like people giving some hints about their team so I start with something not too revealing:
Riders from 17 different nations. 5 Italians and also 5 from Denmark; and no rider over 700 points. As always I think my team looks great and will probably be very disappointed by how it performs...

Ok, sure why not. I have 3 riders who have over 800 points. Riders from 15 countries, 9 from Spain. Riders are from World Tour, Pro Conti and lower division teams. I think I have a nice mix of young riders and veteran riders. I like my team and it should be a fun team.

Last edited:
Good luck to everybody. I am hoping for one or two unique picks this year (they are always more fun to follow). I don't think there are as many obvious picks as in previous years (or I'm simply not seeing them) so we could see pretty diverse strategies this year. Can't wait for the reveal.

Ok, sure why not. I have 3 riders who have over 800 points. Riders from 15 countries, 9 from Spain. Riders are from World Tour, Pro Conti and lower division teams. I think I have a nice mix of young riders and veteran riders. I like my team and it should be a fun team.

Yeah why not also:
Riders from 15 countries also
5 Colombians, 4 Brits and 4 Nederlanders (and crap i just realized i have a brit i didn't want).
As usual i don't know any riders or teams in the lower levels so top 30 is about my ceiling.'

Hey all, so the last CQ update of the year came out! I've put it in the Create Your Team spreadsheet so download the latest version from the original post. I'm happy to report that none of the 27 teams that have already been submitted are put over by whatever changes may have been made, so you should be good if I confirmed with you earlier!
This might sound weird but do you maybe still have the old version too? The problem is that in the 2019 Results, in the two collums on the left you now have the current cq rank and the 2019 rank, which isn't really useful as they are currently all the same. However I think in the previous version these would have been the 2018 and 2019 results which I always found very useful as it was a fast way to see whether someones latest season was relatively good.
Especially when scrolling through the guys with few points, who I often don't know that much about, I always used this to find riders who had a big drop off and might get back to their previous points tally.

This might sound weird but do you maybe still have the old version too? The problem is that in the 2019 Results, in the two collums on the left you now have the current cq rank and the 2019 rank, which isn't really useful as they are currently all the same. However I think in the previous version these would have been the 2018 and 2019 results which I always found very useful as it was a fast way to see whether someones latest season was relatively good.
Especially when scrolling through the guys with few points, who I often don't know that much about, I always used this to find riders who had a big drop off and might get back to their previous points tally.

Do you mean the old version from last year? That is available through the CQ site if you want to search and download it. Or, you can go to their team rankings and if you go to the 2019 page for individual teams it'll have the comparable 2018 and 2019 scores. If you're talking about the 'old version' I just replaced, it was from November 24th, so it really wasn't any different than the current one, most of the rolling 365 day scores would be the same as the 2019 scores by that point.

At any rate, the purpose of the Create Your Team spreadsheet is to help you ensure your team is under budget, not to help you pick riders, so there are lots of options you can pursue if you want to help yourself pick riders.

I have almost no time on my hands this year, so I've quickly made a team now. My first attempt came in at 5674 points. Now I'm at 7492 points and actually quite happy with my team, although there are a few riders I just added mostly because I needed to fill in some blanks and that I'm very unsure about. I can certainly feel that I haven't followed cycling very closely the last few years. Especially when it comes to younger riders and who to expect a breakthrough from.

The 2018 value of my team is 19625. Let's just reach that number again :D

Reactions: Squire
My team came in with 25 riders scoring exactly 7,500 points. 1 Australian, 1 Austrian, 3 Belgians, 2 Colombians, 2 Danes, 3 Frenchmen, 2 Germans, 1 Brit, 1 Italian, 1 Mexican, 2 Dutch, 1 Norwegian, 1 Spaniard, and, either showing my home team prejudice or betraying my green status as far as this game goes, 4 Americans. (I make that 14 nations across 4 continents.)

All but two of them ride for WorldTour teams, with the odd men out being on Burgos-BH and Team Total Direct Energy.

Good luck to all of us!

Team sent. I had a much harder time than last year and I'm not sure i made the right decisions.
Sounds like me a year ago. This year, on the contrary, I have found it really, really easy to pick my team. 90% of it (and all of the major decisions) has pretty much been set in stone for a long time. Still juggling the last few picks, though, and I expect that to continue up until close to the deadline. Hopefully my last few changes won't have as much impact as changing Trentin and Keukeleire for Porte and Brøchner last year. o_O

Hopefully I'll be able to step up and fight you for the victory this year.

I'm also in again, 3 points under the budget limit. If my supposedly very unconventional most expensive pick delivers as I have a hunch that he'll do, I'll be whooping some asses :p
Delivers as in riding away solo in all hilly races instead of just half of them? ;)

This year, on the contrary, I have found it really, really easy to pick my team. 90% of it (and all of the major decisions) has pretty much been set in stone for a long time.

That's a good sign, i guess. Last year the big decisions (Bernal, van der Poel) were easy for me, only the "middle class" of the team (if that's a thing) was complicated. This year the expensive riders were a headache.

Team sent. I had a much harder time than last year and I'm not sure i made the right decisions.
Same as you! Too much young talent that can be stars or nobody and fallen veterans to choose from. Spent over a week trying to decide which riders will score more points and still don't know if i'm right. Middle class is really strong and wide this year. I've picked wrong expensive riders in my first two years, but i hope that this year will be better)