• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2020 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kwiatkowski not doing Tour Down Under is bad news for us florists. Don't know what's up there. Maybe just a team decision. I would have picked him anyway regardless of whether he was going to do the Tour Down Under, so it won't matter that much. Still, would have been nice to get some easy points. At least now there's no risk of him messing up his spring campaign. Kristoff has said that he felt weak for half a year after his only participation in the TDU.

I think he is going to Gran Canaria with Froome this next week or two so I don't think there's necessarily a problem, just a change in program.

The key IMO for Kwiatkowski is that even on that stacked Ineos roster, there's no-one else really to turn to for the Ardennes even if he's not in his very best shape, so although he will almost certainly fall into a team role in other races he still gets chances in April.

I'm also anticipating a different program (i.e no TdF) with the Olympics to go for.... I have just noticed however that his last "bad" season was 2016, with Olympics to aim for and no TdF.... :D

I Know, you've all been waiting for it. Well, here it is.

Armchairclimber CQ Team 2020

SARREAU Marc .... a unique pick, I think. I hope he'll be my 2020 Schachmann.
YATES Simon .... big upside
DUMOULIN Tom ... obvs
GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando ... big upside if stabilisers are allowed by UCI.
HIRSCHI Marc ... good for me last year and potential for more.
DUNBAR Eddie ... ditto
OOMEN Sam ... please be well Sam
KNOX James .... a hunch
AULAR SANABRIA Orluis Alberto ... another hunch
BARDET Romain ... love the guy and he's a cheap date again
KWIATKOWSKI Michal ... ditto
CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban ... love him too and he's even cheaper
FROOME Chris ... just cheap
SIMMONS Quinn .... I'm a Yorkshireman
SOLER GIMENEZ Marc .... big upside. Be selfish Marc.
CAVENDISH Mark ... last hoorah
STEIMLE Jannik ... get well soon x
BAGIOLI Andrea .... big upside
FOSS Tobias Svendsen .... hunch
KÄMNA Lennard ... impressive last summer
RIVERA VARGAS Brandon Smith ... wild hunch
ARDILA ORDOÑEZ Andres Camilo .... give his knees some drugs
ALBA BOLIVAR Juan Diego ... another hunch
ELOSEGUI MOMEÑE Iñigo .... not even a hunch
JACOBS Johan .... cheap and cheerful
JORGENSON Matteo .... ditto
SUTHERLAND Dylan ... points in the bag already for my late super-sub
DIBBEN Jonathan ... upside
THWAITES Scott ... he's from Yorkshire
ELISSONDE Kenny ... an obvious pick .... to me only
WILLIAMS Stephen ... scraping barrel
DONOVAN Mark ... ditto (they know what they're doing on that team ... right?)
KANTER Max ... will you all get off my bandwagon? Had him last year and the year before.

Haha, I finally figured it out :D

Anyway, I share 18 riders with Total Package.
17 riders I share with Northerner, TheArt and Wallenquist.

7 of those shared picks, between me and Wallenquist, came in the last 10 riders on our teams. I thought that was a "fun fact".

That riders in common thing is really cool. I have one team that has 19 in common, and four more that have 17-18 in common. I guess I have a very common roster. It looks like what it comes down to for me is to:
Get very lucky with Ciccone (unique pick), Van aert, and Hodeg and hope that guys like Pinot, Bardet and Moscon don't live up to expectations. That's asking a lot but at least now I know what to look for. Come on Wout!

That riders in common thing is really cool. I have one team that has 19 in common, and four more that have 17-18 in common. I guess I have a very common roster. It looks like what it comes down to for me is to:
Get very lucky with Ciccone (unique pick), Van aert, and Hodeg and hope that guys like Pinot, Bardet and Moscon don't live up to expectations. That's asking a lot but at least now I know what to look for. Come on Wout!
Do you want to say anything about the mathematical method you mentioned when submitting your team? Always interesting to hear different ways of approaching this game.

A major consideration in the selection of riders, for many of us, is whether last year was a (hopefully temporary) drop in performance from a rider's capability as demonstrated in previous years.

If our riders were to reproduce their 2018 points haul, then 15 teams would exceed 20000 in the game, headed by:
1​
del1962
22715​
2​
Crevaison
21551​
3​
MADRAZO
21411​
4​
jsem94
21031​
5​
Ferminal
20987​

And that is without accounting for young riders on these and other teams, who surely will do better than they did in 2018.

Maybe all previous records in the game are set to be thrashed in this edition, but more likely, we overestimate the return to form of our selection.

We'll see.

Reactions: postmanhat
A rider we have not been discussing (I think) but whom I think could be a good pick and am actually kicking myself for not going with is George Bennett.

He is likely to pick up a bunch of points already in the Tour Down Under and has quite surprisingly been given full captaincy in the Giro.

Further, he has had a surgery and it finally seems like his side stitch issue has been resolved. If that's the case and it enables him to increase his level, he could probably be a better pick than the similar-priced Urán whom I ended up going with instead.

It would probably be a little far-fetched to be claiming that he can win the Giro but the field is not stacked and a podium should not be out of the question if he really can step up.

I also quite like the guy. Now that I think about it I really don't know why I didn't pick him. It doesn't really seem like my reasoning there was particularly solid. It probably had something to do with the fact that I generally was a bit reluctant with Jumbo riders because their team is so stacked but looking at his schedule that doesn't really seem likely to be an issue...

I really wanted to pick Uran, but not long ago there was someone posting that his injury was far worse than first expected?
But I never followed up on it. Could be great if he did well at the olympics. Can't believe it's already 8 years ago this summer, that 'sprint' against Vino.

Jul 5, 2019
Visit site
I joined this game for the first time after few years of lurking here on this forum and I want to ask, is there any similar game for mtb cxo? I would really love that (especially if it would incorporate women mtb xco which is very unpredictible and very fun to watch)...

Perhaps, but is Urán back at full capacity yet? Or when will he be?
He was supposed to start his season at the Tour Colombia 2.1 at some point, but I haven't heard any more about it recently.

In other news, Froome better turn out to be a good pick. Luca Pacioni, who I swapped out for the Dawg last minute, has gotten off to a good start by winning the first stage of the Vuelta al Tachira. It's gonna annoy me no end seeing a big fat zero next to Froome's name for the next six months at least, while Pacioni racks up the points.

Reactions: Joelsim
That riders in common thing is really cool. I have one team that has 19 in common, and four more that have 17-18 in common. I guess I have a very common roster.
There are so many popular picks this year that your team actually has much less overlap than many other squads; your team is 36th in the popularity table. My team, for example (5th in the popularity table), shares 20 or more riders with 12 other teams (and 19 with a further 11).

TRENDING THREADS