• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2020 Olympic Time Trials (Men/Women) Race Thread

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will become the next Olympic time trial champions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe there should be a list of safe words to be used in inner team communication. Like Condor, Eagle, Bull, Goat, Mamba ... Hence if there is a leak to the public to not ride a camel back home. Pun intended.

P.S. I agree that making a monkey impersonations and throwing a banana on a football match is over the top. But that is a whole different level as there you intentionally direct such trash talk to some person. And yes there could be some racists involved. And that person should not have to put up with that. I am not defending that in any way. But note that at the same time i am not saying there should not be some trash talk on football matches. That would be extreme.

Last edited:
Reactions: the delgados
"Inner team communication" and "leak to the public" are just meaningless phrases. The comments were heard on German broadcast TV during the live broadcast and the commentator instantly understood the comments as inappropriate.

It's not complicated. You have basically 2 choices: 1) Don't say stupid things, or 2) If you insist on saying stupid things, then you should understand that you don't belong in a public role. And if you don't understand that being at the Olympics is by definition a public role, than tough luck.

Reactions: Sciatic
"Inner team communication" and "leak to the public" are just meaningless phrases. The comments were heard on German broadcast TV during the live broadcast and the commentator instantly understood the comments as inappropriate.

It's not complicated. You have basically 2 choices: 1) Don't say stupid things, or 2) If you insist on saying stupid things, then you should understand that you don't belong in a public role. And if you don't understand that being at the Olympics is by definition a public role, than tough luck.
Well put.

Would you say that Yank(ee) is a (potentially) racist remark?

EDIT: Okay, maybe a better example is calling a German Kraut. Clearly derogatory, but racist?
Well, it's immediately an issue of being discriminatory and xenophobic, but the separator here is not one of race, because it's something specific to that particular nation rather than a slur directed at a general ethnic group. "Camel herder" in this example was not used to specifically identify Lagab because he's specifically Algerian, it was to identify him because he's of a North African/Middle Eastern race in general, and I think that's an important distinction.

Well, it's immediately an issue of being discriminatory and xenophobic, but the separator here is not one of race, because it's something specific to that particular nation rather than a slur directed at a general ethnic group. "Camel herder" in this example was not used to specifically identify Lagab because he's specifically Algerian, it was to identify him because he's of a North African/Middle Eastern race in general, and I think that's an important distinction.

In that case the same treatment would apply if he would have identified Quintana and would have said follow the Condor?

@Kaptain Kool

Still, there is a rather substantial difference in saying stupid and saying racist things. And being accused of one or another.

As if there would be a ban on saying stupid things in public then likely a lot of coaches would loose their job the next day. Politics wouldn't exist anymore ...

No one but you are talking about such a ban, but when your stupid words either become outright racist or can be interpreted as being racist, then it's a different matter. If Moster had said "come on, catch those idiots!", then it wouldn't have been a particular nice thing to say, but he wouldn't have judged them solely on their nationality/ethnicity.

Also I don't think any of us think he should be punished in a "storming the Capitol" kind of way, like a mob showing up to his house with pitchforks, but there should be consequences.

Last edited:
But far from clear cut what categories count as races. Are Sami a race? Scandinavians? Turks? Kurds? Would no specific insult towards those groups count as racist?

In this case Kameltreiber means: the guys in front of you belong to a certain group (due to where they are from) that is good for camel herding, but not for cycling, they shouldn't even be here, they shouldn't be in front of you, you are superior because of where you are from, you are a real cyclist (because you are German/European/white), now show them the score.

If this ain't racism I don't know what is (in terms of words).

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS