• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2023 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
About 5k out, a decent points tally looked certain. Then they all decided to save themselves for another day instead.
Great ride from Goossens. And brave effort from Uijdtebroeks. The rest? MEH!

That array of talent managed a measley 16 points between them on a day that was up their street parcours wise.

Oh well, there's always San Juan, where more or less everyone should get a few points.

Last edited:
With two consecutive race days without a win Jason Tesson is now officially in the longest drought of his 2023 season :D

Nice result from Van Eetvelt in Mallorca to pick up the slack.
:mad: Very much regretting not being able to get past of all of his DNF's last year. And for not taking the plunge on Louis Barre who's looked very strong so far.

But a great start by Van Eetvelt and Lotto have a nice schedule for him to continue picking up points. Looking forward to seeing what Simmons and Vacek can do in San Juan this evening.

At this rate, Van Eetvelt might compensate for my stupid omission of Uijtdeberoeks:D ICW are incredible. Looks like they might have revived Calmejane's career, just as I ditched him after including him for the last two seasons. I wonder what they'll do with Rex, who I also had last year? Just Page and Mikhels for me from that team.

Cadel Evan's Race

Baroncini
Strong
Ewan
Page
Shachmann
Honore
Fisher-Black

Looks good, but I've never watched this race so no idea really.

At this rate, Van Eetvelt might compensate for my stupid omission of Uijtdeberoeks:D ICW are incredible. Looks like they might have revived Calmejane's career, just as I ditched him after including him for the last two seasons. I wonder what they'll do with Rex, who I also had last year? Just Page and Mikhels for me from that team.

Cadel Evan's Race

Baroncini
Strong
Ewan
Page
Shachmann
Honore
Fisher-Black

Looks good, but I've never watched this race so no idea really.
Page and Ewan should fight for the win at this edition. Not much climbing really

Reactions: postmanhat
And today?

Beaten up after yesterday's crash?

3 races in favourable terrain and his results are: 85th, DNF and DNF, I'm worried.
It's way too early to worry about Piccolo. Some riders just don't handle the cold weather very well. Some just take a while to get going. Piccolo might fall in those categories. Between Covid in 2020, being a trainee in 2021 and the whole Gazprom situation last year there's plenty of reasons why he has started slow in the past but also on the rare occasions he did get to race he was pretty terrible. In Valenciana last year for his first race of the season he finished behind Jakobsen and Viviani on GC. It's also worth noting that the earliest points he has ever scored were on June 26th. He's going to get those race days in. It's going to get warmer. He'll be fine.

As a reference point, Piccolo has scored as many points this season as last year's top 5 CQ scorers combined. Granted both those numbers are 0 but that shows how early in the season it still is.

Your points are sensible but there's a certain threshold of "badness" that gets me worried about a rider if exceeded, no matter how early in the season it is. Piccolo was very consistent last summer and autumn and I expected it to continue into 2023.
Someone made a comment in another thread that Piccolo was extra motivated to save his career in 2022 but now when his future is secure for the time being, they don't expect him to do that well. Not gonna lie,, it has seeded some doubt in me.

Reactions: EvansIsTheBest
It's way too early to worry about Piccolo. Some riders just don't handle the cold weather very well. Some just take a while to get going. Piccolo might fall in those categories. Between Covid in 2020, being a trainee in 2021 and the whole Gazprom situation last year there's plenty of reasons why he has started slow in the past but also on the rare occasions he did get to race he was pretty terrible. In Valenciana last year for his first race of the season he finished behind Jakobsen and Viviani on GC. It's also worth noting that the earliest points he has ever scored were on June 26th. He's going to get those race days in. It's going to get warmer. He'll be fine.

As a reference point, Piccolo has scored as many points this season as last year's top 5 CQ scorers combined. Granted both those numbers are 0 but that shows how early in the season it still is.

Yes, definitely way too early to be worried.

The season has barely started and Mallorca races are always hit or miss with riders. Many are not there for more than training. It was only about 10-15 riders wanting to risk it to win each day, with the terrible conditions this year.

Im glad Piccolo didnt risk anything and he is hopefully aiming higher than winning a Trofeo race.

He is on the startlist for Etoile de Bessenges and Im way more interested to see how he races there. It should potentially be a stage-race that suits him. Stage-races should be a potential upside with him this season, if he is gonna be a good pick.

He could also be a rider that needs a few races to get going, who knows. Either way he is racing and any points this spring are welcome. A head-start on what he scored last year, which would be good to get. Since we cant count on him scoring as many points in the fall this time.

I think if managers are already doubting certain picks they gonna have a tough time following cycling and the game this season. It will be frustrating, as it sometimes can be. We all make some bad picks and it has proven to be very difficult to have every rider on your team scoring a profit each year. Managers shouldnt beat themselves up.

Sometimes a positive mindset can make a difference, instead of speaking things into existence with a negative one. :)

Last edited:
I don't know how you can confuse being anxious about something with wishing someone badly. Surely I wouldn't express so many worries about that if it was something I wanted to happen.

I ensure you I have no desire to do badly at this game or to see a rider from my favourite team underperform just to make a point.

People been trying to provide some encouragement and you seem to shoot it down with more negative thoughts.

It is a long season. The best of luck to you and your team.

TRENDING THREADS