• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2023 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Only 20 points last week, thanks to Tarling and De Plus on sunday. Dropped out of the top 10 as expected.
Not a lot of riders active this coming week(end):

Muscat Classic & Tour of Oman:
SCHELLING Ide
UIJTDEBROEKS Cian

Some GC points from Uijtdebroeks probably and maybe a good result by Schelling in the muscat calssic

Vuelta Ciclista a la Región de Murcia Costa Cálida
VAN EETVELT Lennert
POLITT Nils
HERMANS Ben

I hope Van Eetvelt continues as he started in Mallorca, Politt looking good also. Not sure about Hermans, but he can surprise

Muscat and Oman

Ponomar
Walls
Salby
Schelling
Lutsenko

Walls looked like a someone who hadn't raced for 8 months in Mallorca, and the parcours/competition are probably too hard for Salby. Hoping Schelling can show some more signs of improvement, but mainly looking for a good start from Lutsenko in a race he's won twice before.

Muscat Classic and Oman - Schelling, Uijtdebroeks, Walls
Murcia and Almeria - L Hayter
Figueira - Asgreen, Van Wilder, Onley, Baroncini, M Vacek
Jaén - nothing (yet)

Well, Uijtdebroeks doesn’t need descending skills in Oman, so he should do well there and maybe Schelling can snag something in the one-day race. Otherwise I’m really just looking at Portugal for points, not too worried either way though because this is not an important week in the grand scheme of things and a weekly win seems impossible.

Congrats to DJsprtsch for having Busatto as a unique pick. Came so close to selecting him, but didn't know how many chances he'd get in ICW's devolopment team. Now I know :) Schelling was dropped on the final climb today, but came back to finish 8th. Even if, unfortunately, he doesn't come back to full form, he could still be a decent pick at this rate.

Spanish one-day races this weekend
Van Eetvelt
Fisher-Black
Hermans
And maybe Strong and Battistella when the listings are complete, as they're both riding Andalucia.

Figueira
Pedersen
Asgreen
Van Uden
Mikhels
Baroncini
Vacek

Reactions: DJ Sprtsch
Turner was one of my few really good picks last season and much better than anticipated, ridiculously strong. Ineos have Tarling and Swift now, which should mean him spending less time with his nose in the wind during the classics, so he could quite easily reach parity at least by the end of April. The problem, like last year, is where he scores points after that. But the Benelux tour should be back, and given Ineos's switch of focus to one-day riders, they might start entering races like Tro-Bro and Paris-Tours, which should be perfect for him given his CX background. I can't see him being a bad pick and probably wish I'd continued with him as he'll be a lot more fun to follow, and likely more profitable than some of the ones I've gone for (Yes I mean you, Soren Kragh).
Sometimes I hate being right.

De Bod got me some points, but although it's early I think it's becoming clear that my team is pretty much a disaster.

But surely your team's success depends largely on Roglic and Rodriguez? One of whom hasn't ridden yet, and the other had an understandably iffy start? That said, we don't share many riders, and you have some that I came close to choosing, so I hope you have a moderately decent season.

• Haha
Reactions: BR2
Another low score week, only 25 points. Congrats to all Turner, Pedersen and Moschetti teams!

A few riders starting their season this week: Jack Haig, Aurélien Paret-Peintre and David Gaudu

Jaén Paraiso Interior:
VAN EETVELT Lennert

Volta ao Algarve em Bicicleta:
KWIATKOWSKI Michal
ASGREEN Kasper
PADUN Mark
POLITT Nils
DE POOTER Dries

Vuelta a Andalucia Ruta Ciclista Del Sol:
BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley
HAIG Jack

Tour des Alpes Maritimes et du Var:
GAUDU David
PARET-PEINTRE Aurélien
VAN EETVELT Lennert

Tour Du Rwanda: none

Reactions: BR2
10th on the last update is solid. Like I have mentioned, I dont think my team will win many weeks but hopefully score consistently.

Busy end to the week with a few races coming up.

Muscat Classic
ALEOTTI Giovanni
UIJTDEBROEKS Cian
MARIT Arne
DEKKER David

Dont know if this is a hilly race or a sprinters race? Either way, someone might be able to score some points with a top 10. I will take what I can get.

Tour of Oman
ALEOTTI Giovanni
UIJTDEBROEKS Cian
MARIT Arne
DEKKER David

Exactly the same as above, of course. Aleotti and Uijtebroeks might be able to score some GC points here if all goes well. We will see. Not expecting much from Dekker and Marit on these stages. Anything would be a bonus.

Vuelta Ciclista a la Región de Murcia Costa Cálida
FISHER-BLACK Finn
DE GENDT Aimé
SIVAKOV Pavel
HAYTER Leo
HERMANS Ben

Could be hit or miss. I will take what I can get.

Figueira Champions Classic
ASGREEN Kasper
VAN WILDER Ilan
VAN UDEN Casper
MIHKELS Madis

Dont know if this a hilly race or sprinters race? I will take what I can get.

Clasica de Almeria
GARCÍA CORTINA Iván
MARTINEZ Lenny
SIVAKOV Pavel
HAYTER Leo

Startlist not completed. Maybe someone could be added. Lenny might ride now that Antalya was cancelled? It is not a race for him though. Garcia Cortina been 4th and 3rd in two sprint finishes, so maybe could get something here. He is my only unique pick, so I will definitely be cheering for him!

Edit: Martinez not riding Almeria, no surprise, but Sivakov and Hayter added. Best chance for them to score points should be in Murcia, on the day before.

Eh, no home-run in these races. Only some decent placings and minor points in the end. Tulett finishing 6th in Jaen was good to see, hope he develops further during the year. Uijtdebroeks is 9th on the GC atm in Tour of Oman, so maybe some more points will come in there.

More races coming up, which is always good after a quite mediocre week.

Volta ao Algarve em Bicicleta
PIDCOCK Thomas
MIHKELS Madis
ASGREEN Kasper
VAN WILDER Ilan
VAN UDEN Casper
FISHER-BLACK Finn

Looks okay. Should score some points from this line-up.

Vuelta a Andalucia Ruta Ciclista Del Sol
GARCÍA CORTINA Iván
DE GENDT Aimé
BERNAL Egan
SIVAKOV Pavel

Ouch... expectations are low for this race, when it comes to scoring points. I think it could be a fun race to watch though.

Edit: Shame with Bernal, but Sivakov in the line-up makes it more interesting for my team here.

Tour des Alpes Maritimes et du Var starts later this week, but missing a lot of names in the provisional startlist.

Dont think I will have anyone in Rwanda.

Last edited:
Not entirely unexpectedly, it was a fairly quiet week with two eighths and a thirteenth in the 1.1s. Looking for a bigger haul from this week’s stage races with the following riders:

Algarve - Pidcock, Asgreen, Van Wilder, Onley, Baroncini, Vacek, Fisher-Black
Van Wilder, Onley and Vacek all looked pretty good in Figueira, especially the former can hopefully do a GC here. Pidcock and Asgreen are not that important in this game (former could do a GC here as well and give me a leg up on a quarter of the field, though) and finally Baroncini and Fisher-Black can maybe get some form going here as they haven’t impressed so far

Ruta del Sol - Haig, Strong, Bernal
Mostly looking at how Haig starts his season here, hopefully it will be with a nice GC result. Will also be rooting for Bernal, although less from a CQ perspective. It should be too hard for Strong, maybe he can get stage points (final one should suit him) but this is not a race I’m particularly happy with him being sent to.

Nothing yet in the Var, and also nothing in Rwanda (like most of us).

So far this season feels very low-scoring compared to the previous two for me. Given that I’m inside the top-20 it must be that way for most of us, and I don’t see that changing radically this week. Of course, the likes of Roglic and Ayuso haven’t started their season yet, but right now I would be surprised if we get a massive winning score for the third year running.

Damn, it seems like Roglic will really only do Catalonia before the Giro. That was always a risk, I guess.
Yeah, it also seems that the Ayuso owners will not get any points from Ayuso in February, but I hope that he will ride more races then Roglic from march..

I have to say, that I am a bit annoyed on Ineos, that they don´t let Tulett ride more in February. He seems to be in real good form already, but in Besseges Ineos decided to ride for Sivakov GC wise and then they let him only ride in Jaén yesterday. Hope that he will get Bernal´s space in Andalucia or that he will ride UAE..

Yeah, it also seems that the Ayuso owners will not get any points from Ayuso in February, but I hope that he will ride more races then Roglic from march..

I have to say, that I am a bit annoyed on Ineos, that they don´t let Tulett ride more in February. He seems to be in real good form already, but in Besseges Ineos decided to ride for Sivakov GC wise and then they let him only ride in Jaén yesterday. Hope that he will get Bernal´s space in Andalucia or that he will ride UAE..
I think Ineos was riding for Tulett in Besseges (or at least they were joint leaders) but then he had a mechanical at the worst possible time in the 4th stage.

Algarve:
ASGREEN Kasper - i think a couple stages (the first two ) might work for him. If he is not here just to get some miles in.
JOHANNESSEN Tobias Halland - if you are going to show anything this year Tobias, now is the time. Please make me look smart.
MIHKELS Madis - Just getting some hill miles in and maybe take a shot at stage 3.
PEDERSEN Casper Phillip - Same as Madis except the way he is going, he could win that stage 3.
PIDCOCK Thomas - Prepping for the classics? Or here to make some noise. I say as long as you are here, go all in!
VAN UDEN Casper - Same as Madis
Van Wilder Ilan - Bora and Ineos really brought the roster this year, but the course suits Ilan.

Andalucia:
HAIG Jack - My one and only. Hoping Landa just wants some miles and Mohoric is for stages and not the GC.

Alpes:
VANDENABEELE Henri - Uh oh

Rwanda:
Nada que nada - Come on Froomy!

TRENDING THREADS