• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2024 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 57 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think I know who will be most popular pick in 2025...
I predict Van Aert (who I believe it is you are referring to) will be one of those very difficult choices. I bet he'll end the year at around 12-1400 points still so would be an expensive pick going into the year he turns 31 so theoretically he might start showing some natural decline so the question will be whether his potential is 2800 or if it's merely say 1500. I bet around half the teams will pick him and half will not depending on what alternatives there are and one of those groups will turn out to be right. Then again he might cost much more or much less and the decision will be even clearer.

I'm happy for him if his year recovers to the extent that he will cost 12-1400 next year, I fear that his scoring potential for the rest of this is very low.
Ya, I suppose the World Championships are suited better for other riders this year but the Olympics should still be within his range right? He typically scores at least 700 points after the Tour most seasons so wouldn't be surprised if he did the same now.

Ya, I suppose the World Championships are suited better for other riders this year but the Olympics should still be within his range right? He typically scores at least 700 points after the Tour most seasons so wouldn't be surprised if he did the same now.
I dont think Van Aert will make it for the Olympics or if Belgium can even select him given all their other options and his situation. Dont forget the team for Olympics is very small, it is not like Worlds.

I doubt he will be able to race the Tour, he wasnt in Visma plans this year to begin with.

Maybe he can get back to race Renewi Tour or Tour de Polonge. Maybe do the Vuelta or like do the Canadian races followed by the Italian ones.

Everything is pretty much up in the air. Recovery will just have to take its time. Not just thinking about the physical stuff. Mentally this will be very tough and will take time as well.

I think him scoring much or as much as other years in the second half of the seasons will be very hard to do. I would lower my expectations but hope for the best.

I dont think Van Aert will make it for the Olympics or if Belgium can even select him given all their other options and his situation. Dont forget the team for Olympics is very small, it is not like Worlds.
Other than Evenepoel, who would even be ahead of him in selection for the Olympics? Yes, ofc it assumes that he'll be fit before then. I only saw just now that he had fractured his sternum, from what I saw before it was only ribs and collarbone and that would only take a month so he would be back well before the Olympics. With the sternum it might take longer though so that might prevent him.

Other than Evenepoel, who would even be ahead of him in selection for the Olympics? Yes, ofc it assumes that he'll be fit before then. I only saw just now that he had fractured his sternum, from what I saw before it was only ribs and collarbone and that would only take a month so he would be back well before the Olympics. With the sternum it might take longer though so that might prevent him.
Not ahead but probably could be pickd if Van Aert is in doubt… Philipsen and De Lie on the top of my head.

They only four spots.

You have to have guys like Lampaert, Benoot, Styuven (now injured), Campenaerts as well. Who could sacriface themselves or be helpful for as long as they can.

I'm happy for him if his year recovers to the extent that he will cost 12-1400 next year, I fear that his scoring potential for the rest of this is very low.
Huh, I have a different view. Pogi aside, I can't think of a rider who has more of a chance to score points from every race he's in. I can see him clearing 2000 depending on how his recovery goes. Just looking quickly, he's really only 300 points behind where he was last year after Roubaix, and after Roubaix he didn't race until Suisse, and got 1200+ points after that alone, even in a Tour where he didn't win a stage.

Huh, I have a different view. Pogi aside, I can't think of a rider who has more of a chance to score points from every race he's in. I can see him clearing 2000 depending on how his recovery goes. Just looking quickly, he's really only 300 points behind where he was last year after Roubaix, and after Roubaix he didn't race until Suisse, and got 1200+ points after that alone, even in a Tour where he didn't win a stage.
Seen riders like Sagan and Ala fall off most recently. Not returning to former level.

Van Aert position as undisputed leader is also under serious threat for these races.

Visma don’t depend on him solely for results in one-day races and the cobbles. They have a plethora of riders that can win, has won and a guy like Hagenes on the team for example. Probably they will keep signing up guys like Jorgenson when they can and promote from their devo team.

Question is if Van Aert has many more +2000 seasons left in him. I wouldnt say it is a given, as of now. He has had four seasons at the very top and had a great run as one of the best, few can go on for much more though. He can still be relevant but maybe not at the same frequency.

Seen riders like Sagan and Ala fall off most recently. Not returning to former level.

Van Aert position as undisputed leader is also under serious threat for these races.

Visma don’t depend on him solely for results in one-day races and the cobbles. They have a plethora of riders that can win, has won and a guy like Hagenes on the team for example. Probably they will keep signing up guys like Jorgenson when they can and promote from their devo team.

Question is if Van Aert has many more +2000 seasons left in him. I wouldnt say it is a given, as of now. He has had four seasons at the very top and had a great run as one of the best, few can go on for much more though. He can still be relevant but maybe not at the same frequency.
Good points, WvA can be psychologically done and not able to be the leader mentally or ride anymore altogether