• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2024 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 65 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I meant for the overall win. He'll probably hang on to a lower end top 10 but that's nowhere near the same amount of points.
He is into profit after yesterday. I would be quite happy with him finishing between 5-10th on GC in the end here. Would yield another 120-70 points.

Lets see how deep he will go here though, because of the Giro starting very soon. The GC being so close can still shift things up.

with Ayuso, Lenny M, Mas, Arensman, Carapaz and Sosa along with Nys and Dainese, I hopeful that Romandie will turn out quite well.

edit: I just saw that Del Toro won by a minute in Spain yesterday, even better!

Last edited:
Website should now update every day at 19:15 CET (at least it should from tonight onwards!). Will also still run in the morning in case something happened overnight. Let's see how it goes, something might go wrong based on dates but proof will be in the pudding.

Process: Evening update is an intermediate update. It will get overwritten the next morning. So in essence a one day forward look compared to current situation.
I think the seven-day interval currently accidentally takes Sunday as the first day of the week.

Next week.

Eschborn-Frankfurt
HIGUITA Sergio
CAPIOT Amaury
BUSATTO Francesco
CHRISTEN Jan
RYAN Archie

Giro d'Italia
ARENSMAN Thymen
SHEFFIELD Magnus
MARTÍNEZ Daniel Felipe
GIRMAY Biniam
COLLEONI Kevin
MIHKELS Madis
PICKRELL Riley
QUINTANA Nairo
LAMPERTI Luke
PLAPP Luke
TIBERI Antonio
LEEMREIZE Gijs
PICCOLO Andrea

Hope that this can provide some points over the near future, we will see!

Last edited:
Rodriguez 292
Del Toro 157
Ayuso 149
Carapaz 147
Nys 82
Bernal 73
Sheehan 36
Sheffield 33
Morgado 24
Staune-Mittet 20
Rafferty 14
Vergallito 10
Arensman 9
Total 1046

Always nice to break 1k in a non GT week.
Think you could have won the week with that. I also finished near 1000 I think. But I don't have Ayuso and even the 3 wins of Lund Andresen (101 points) cannot compensate that..

Thanks, think I fixed it (I think). Just had to make a larger than sunday, rather than larger than or equal to. Just need to now see what happens on Monday's, as I think we might not actually get the full week overview then as it might then reset. As said, was a bit lazy to test it properly... (hence just an additional column, rather than replacing the 7d).
The timing is still off. It cleared the "Point change since Sunday" before many Sunday races had even finished.

The timing is still off. It cleared the "Point change since Sunday" before many Sunday races had even finished.
I'll have a look tomorrow. Think that might be because of intermediate update in evening. Which is saved with tomorrow's date (Monday) to keep it consistent with how it was set up originally, which was loading it in the morning with date of that day (rather than close of business date). Might need to rethink that but will check tomorrow, potentially there is an easier fix.

Think it's fixed! Thanks @ingsve At least currently last seven days and since last sunday are the same. Might read a bit odd but then on monday - like today - you effectively see last weeks points. Which is based on results from yesterday compared to Sunday before. Tomorrow it should then have only results of today (need to check tomorrow!)

Hello everybody,

looking forward to the weekly update. This had been an interesting week!

This week will be a bit more quiet, but the giro will go on its way in the next couple of days!

Since I have a bit more right now, I have made the effort to analyse the current giro startlist and its popularity in the current top20 of this game:

Based on this you can easily judge who you should cheer for at the Giro: The answer is not Quintana.. ;) and also Arensman and D. Martinez are quite popular in the top ranks. I think especially important will be the performances of Girmay, Plapp and Uijtdebroeks. If you have a rider starting at the giro which is not in that list, then cheer even more for him, because this one can make the difference for you!

Quintana
20​
Arensman
17​
D. Martinez
16​
Lamperti
15​
Girmay
12​
Plapp
12​
Uijtdebroeks
11​
Sheffield
6​
Vansevenant
5​
Foss
5​
Schachmann
4​

The week that just ended could have been worse for me, but I'll still be massively outscored by the Ayuso teams and the Rodriguez teams.

May will have to be a good month for me if I want to take advantage of Ayuso not racing.

Eschborn-Frankfurt (1.UWT)
BUSATTO Francesco
CHRISTEN Jan
RAFFERTY Darren
RYAN Archie
CAPIOT Amaury
LECERF William Junior

Not a ton of sprinters, but I guess double Feldberg is not too tempting for them. Maybe a result for Busatto, but I can see Laurance making me further regret not picking him.

Grand Prix du Morbihan (1.Pro)
SEGAERT Alec
VAN UDEN Casper

Tro-Bro Léon (1.Pro)
CAPIOT Amaury
(startlist incomplete)

Giro d'Italia (2.UWT)
ARENSMAN Thymen
FOSS Tobias
SHEFFIELD Magnus
MARTÍNEZ Daniel Felipe
OLDANI Stefano
QUINTANA Nairo
LAMPERTI Luke
PLAPP Luke
PIGANZOLI Davide
TIBERI Antonio

A few dark horses for a very good overall position here. Especially excited about Tiberi. Having watched Romandie, I'm a bit worried that my Ineos guys are just gonna ride in the train for Thomas. And just like with his previous team, Oldani keeps getting horrible racing schedules. WT stage races are not where his strengths lie.

And just like with his previous team, Oldani keeps getting horrible racing schedules. WT stage races are not where his strengths lie.
Oldani doing the Giro was kind of priced into the deal pre-season, though. The biggest problem for him is that he can't seem to find form after his crashes, the two reduced sprints in Romandie should have suited him well enough but he didn't make the cut either time.

Reactions: postmanhat
Oldani doing the Giro was kind of priced into the deal pre-season, though. The biggest problem for him is that he can't seem to find form after his crashes, the two reduced sprints in Romandie should have suited him well enough but he didn't make the cut either time.
his crash in Itzulia looked pretty bad, and it was the 3rd of that kind already this year. I guess Romandie was mainly to get the engine going again, not really for results.

Reactions: postmanhat
Update #15: Roro roars to Romandie win while shalgo makes CQ history

Carlos Rodriguez GC win led a group of popular picks making their mark in Romandie while the action in other races was rather more subdued from a CQ perspective.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank
Team
Points this week
1​
1051​
2​
981​
3​
959​
4​
942​
5​
918​

EITB wins the week as the only team to crack four digits. On top of Rodriguez, the team featured Del Toro and Ayuso (the UAE duo that keeps on scoring), Carapaz and Bernal (the south american duo that keeps on scoring), Sheffield and Sheehan (the american duo that doesn't score nearly as much as the other two) and Nys (returning to the road with a bang).

Anderis nabs second with pretty much the exact same group of riders (no Sheehan and a couple fewer small contributions down their roster). Earns1985 completes the podium swapping out Ayuso for Lund. Fivezzz is 4th (Geoghegan Hart and Arrieta being their top scorers not already mentioned) while skidmark takes 5th.

This Week's High Movers

Rank
Team
Up/Down
1​
(+14)​
2​
(+13)​
3​
(+12)​
4​
(+11)​
5​
(+11)​

Five teams manage a double digit jump led by Senderos (you'll be shocked to know that all those teams feature Rodriguez). Nbfc1962 uses big weeks from Vlasov and Mas to feature here too. Laarsland can continue to feel good about their Lenny Martinez pick.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank
Team
Total
1​
180​
2​
164​
3​
120​
4​
119​
5​
104​
5​
104​

Skidmark crashes the podium but Jakob can still feel fairly safe as only shalgo is within a weekly win of the top spot.

Top 10 Overall

Rank
Team
7579​
2​
6853​
3​
6579​
4​
6564​
5​
6534​
6​
6470​
7​
6439​
8​
6245​
9​
6218​
10​
6210​

Shalgo makes history by becoming the fastest team ever to break even*. However with "only" 670 points on the week, they did allow skidmark to cut more than 200 points off their lead. Also, adamski101 moves on to the podium and EITB in fourth meaning there are now three Rodriguez team right behind our leader. A monster second half by the Spaniard appears to be the most obvious (and maybe only) path to put shalgo's dominance in jeopardy before the end of the year. Anderis big week is just enough to nudge them into the top 10 at the expense of trackstand.

*Four teams also broke even (and three had higher totals than shalgo) in the post Romandie update in 2012 but that update came out on April 29th instead of April 28th like this year.

spreadsheet link

Frankfurt
Not a terrible line-up. Let's see what Nys can do here.
NYS Thibau
SHEEHAN Riley
BUSATTO Francesco
RAFFERTY Darren
RYAN Archie
MAGNIER Paul
BRUTTOMESSO Alberto
HERZOG Emil
BELOKI FERNANDEZ Markel

Giro

The worst thing you can have from a CQ perspective (outside of injury or illness of course) is a rider waste 21 race days doing a GT with no shot at real points. Fortunately most of riders here fall either in the GC hopeful (Uijtdebroeks, Tiberi, Arensman, Martinez and Quintana) or sprinter categories (Girmay and Lamperti) with only Sheffield falling into the dreaded Magnus Sheffield category.
UIJTDEBROEKS Cian
SHEFFIELD Magnus
GIRMAY HAILU Biniam
TIBERI Antonio
ARENSMAN Thymen
MARTINEZ POVEDA Daniel Felipe
LAMPERTI Luke
QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander

The worst thing you can have from a CQ perspective (outside of injury or illness of course) is a rider waste 21 race days doing a GT with no shot at real points. Fortunately most of riders here fall either in the GC hopeful (Uijtdebroeks, Tiberi, Arensman, Martinez and Quintana) or sprinter categories (Girmay and Lamperti) with only Sheffield falling into the dreaded Magnus Sheffield category.
Sheffield was always going to do his first GT this year anyway, so those 21 days of not much were to be expected. I would maybe have preferred him to do the Tour so he could have tried to finally win his home race in May and score some big and easy points there, but the Giro isn't too bad either. He can score more stage points than in the Tour, and a lot of riders come flying out of their first GT, so with the Giro he'll have half a season to potentially benefit from that effect.

Also, it's a nice way for you to be starting your CQ game updates tour of duty! :D

April hasn't been kind to my team. Hope it will change with the Giro, where I have 12 riders currently.
Five riders in Frankfurt, will be happy if one of them goes in the top ten. Sam Bennett won here just two years ago, but I have my strong doubts this year. And the same goes for Caleb Ewan.

Last edited: