• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2024 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 69 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Shalgo is going to be up by like 2k after the next update lol.
We should test shalgo for PEDs. This is extra-terrestrial domination.

Probably gonna be a mediocre week for me. Some decent GC points in the Giro, but none of the wannabe Hirchis from the smaller stage races. At least rare pick Van Uden looks to be gearing up well for what is hopefully gonna be a 1.1-filled summer after he has had a very meh year so far.

Damn, I'm the only player inside top25 overall who scored fewer than 1000 points last week...
Yeah, for me also five places down and now again outside of the Top10.
Not having Tiberi, Laurence and Cosnefroy main reason for that, while my hopeful rarer point scorer (Nys) only received 16 GC points from Norway in the end.

Btw: Pogacar end of May now already with 2594 points with the tour, Worlds and Olympics still to come...
If the best Pogacar team (googolplex) wouldn´t have missed del Toro, his team would be in the Top10 overall right now.

Last edited:
Update #19: Googolplex scores a googolplex of points

With the GC of the Giro and to a lesser extent the Tour of Norway, Tour of Estonia and the Boucles de la Mayenne, this update is traditionally one of the biggest of the year and it did not disappoint.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank
Team
1807​
2​
1798​
3​
1788​
4​
1633​
5​
1632​

Googolplex continues the ride the wave known as Tadej Pogacar. Having Martinez, Cosnefroy and Piganzoli as well pushed their team above the 1800 points mark. The asian nearly matches that output with a more spread out effort (Martinez, Arensman, Tiberi, Cosnefroy, Laurance, Watson, Quintana, Van Uden, Brenner...). Nakazar completes the podium with noteworthy results from Hirt (scoring more than three times his price in a single week) and Milan (with an absolute star ride on the last day of the Giro). Gotland and hfgon1 also crack the 1600 points barrier.

This Week's High Movers

Rank
Team
Up/down
1​
(+22)​
2​
(+20)​
3​
(+18)​
4​
(+13)​
5​
(+12)​

Googolplex and the asian repeat as the top 2 here with monster 20+ place jumps. Hfgon1, Gotland and Boris98 gain dougle digit places.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank
Team
Googolplex​
229​
2​
shalgo​
196​
3​
Jakob747​
180​
4​
skidmark​
120​
5​
Boris98​
119​
5​
Shakes​
119​

Googolplex stretches the lead with the weekly win but shalgo with 7th on the week stays within striking distance. Boris98 scores just enough to tie for 5th.

Top 10 Overall

Rank
Team
10031​
2​
8592​
3​
8569​
4​
8504​
5​
8487​
6​
8379​
7​
8278​
8​
8232​
9​
8223​
10​
8147​

Shalgo cracks 10k in the same week that the next best teams finally break even. With another 250 points padding their lead, there is a bigger gap between first and second than second and 40th ! In the competition between mere mortals, Nakazar, Total Package and Gotland rocket into the top 10. Salvarani, Anderis and Earns1985 all slip out but will have a chance to claw their way back with the Tour de France just around the corner.

spreadsheet link

So shalgo is killing everybody this year but how does it stack up historically with other seasons ? Improbably it actually looks even better. Despite what it might feel like, the other top teams are actually having good seasons compared to the average year. For instance, Blues in the Bottle was well clear of everyone else at that point last year but would only rank 6th this year with the same total.

Shalgo's post-Giro score: 10031
Previous record for most post-Giro score: 9410 (bminchow, 2020)
Previous record for most post-Giro score, non pandemic year: 9338 (TeoSheva, 2012)
Skidmark 2012 (best team ever) post-Giro score: 8976

In four instances (out of 13) the leading teams had a lower total after the Tour than shalgo after the Giro.

Shalgo already has more points than the 2020 winning team (obviously not a full season that year but still).

Just absurd.

So shalgo is killing everybody this year but how does it stack up historically with other seasons ? Improbably it actually looks even better. Despite what it might feel like, the other top teams are actually having good seasons compared to the average year. For instance, Blues in the Bottle was well clear of everyone else at that point last year but would only rank 6th this year with the same total.

Shalgo's post-Giro score: 10031
Previous record for most post-Giro score: 9410 (bminchow, 2020)
Previous record for most post-Giro score, non pandemic year: 9338 (TeoSheva, 2012)
Skidmark 2012 (best team ever) post-Giro score: 8976

In four instances (out of 13) the leading teams had a lower total after the Tour than shalgo after the Giro.

Shalgo already has more points than the 2020 winning team (obviously not a full season that year but still).

Just absurd.
I'm liking these semi-regular comparisons!

I see no reason for shalgo not to continue their domination. None of the competitors have a significant enough number of different picks that could pop off and help catch up. It's at least as likely that Cosnefroy, Bennett, Laurance, Girmay etc. continues to mop up easy points. And Ayuso probably continues to mop up difficult points.

As for highest score of all time, I'm not sure. From when I was compiling some numbers way back, I seem to remember that 2012 skidmark had some ridiculous late summer/early autumn weeks, with consecutive weekly wins with big scores. But the spring, with Boonen going nuts, was a big contribution for the 2012 numbers of course, and if shalgo is currently outscoring that by an insane margin, I guess it's possible.

I'm liking these semi-regular comparisons!

I see no reason for shalgo not to continue their domination. None of the competitors have a significant enough number of different picks that could pop off and help catch up. It's at least as likely that Cosnefroy, Bennett, Laurance, Girmay etc. continues to mop up easy points. And Ayuso probably continues to mop up difficult points.

As for highest score of all time, I'm not sure. From when I was compiling some numbers way back, I seem to remember that 2012 skidmark had some ridiculous late summer/early autumn weeks, with consecutive weekly wins with big scores. But the spring, with Boonen going nuts, was a big contribution for the 2012 numbers of course, and if shalgo is currently outscoring that by an insane margin, I guess it's possible.
Yeah there's nothing to suggest shalgo's team is going to slow down. In fact, if anything, their team is just gathering more momemtum (another 150+ points with Girmay, Riccitello and Ryan today). Still when the bar is matching the pace of the best team ever, the most likely outcome is that shalgo comes back to earth at some point.

I remember that late season run skidmark went on in 2012 with multiple weekly wins. I was actually leading the competition after the Tour and ended up more than 2000 points back by the time the Vuelta was over. That was super impressive.

Outside of the pandemic aided 2021 teams, nobody has been a real threat to skidmark 2012 until now. My 2022 team is the only non-2021 team to finish within 1700 points of skidmark 2012 and even then it wasn't even that close (700 points behind) and it was also fueled by a crazy late season Remco scoring binge so it was never like I was on pace to approach that milestone. It's pretty cool that we have an actual record chase to track no matter where shalgo's team ends up, even if being in second place, I would have prefered something slightly easier to chase down than arguably the greatest team ever.

• Love
Reactions: shalgo
"Thomas Gloag recovery has come to an end and he has already been training for a few weeks at full capacity. However, no one wants to force his return and risk further problems, so caution will dictate the precise timing to ensure that his return to racing is as safe and efficient as possible."

Initially his return was scheduled for Tour de Suisse, but his team changed that now. Let´s see, if he can still grab up some points this season..