• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Armstrong talking points

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I will swim in the Landis is not a criminal and warm bag of discharge defenders. Divide things before he was lance's biggest,most famous attacker. Still the same guy. Liar,cheat,national disgrace

fatandfast said:
I will swim in the Landis is not a criminal and warm bag of discharge defenders. Divide things before he was lance's biggest,most famous attacker. Still the same guy. Liar,cheat,national disgrace

Floyd Landis is a big fat liar who defrauded poor fools into giving him money. Nobody can dispute that. That's why it is such a good point for Armstrong's attorneys to make. Floyd's a tainted witness. Any lawyer (except Floyd's!) would acknowledge that.

Once upon a time a couple juveniles entered a college building and stole some stuff. Two grade school age girls witnessed the theft and the flight afterward. They stood around and waited until the police arrived. When the matter went to trial, it was the most amazing and wonderful thing you ever saw. When the little girls testified, it was like a direct conduit of truth transmitted straight from each girl to the judge.

Floyd's not like that. The judge or jury is going to need corroboration before they believe a word that comes out of his mouth. Floyd's value is also problematical because he is inherently biased as a consequence of his attempt to take Lance's money via lawsuit.

I really love this situation. If Floyd wins, Lance goes down and I'm really happy. If Lance wins, big fat liar Floyd doesn't get a darn thing. Either way it's a win! Such entertainment!

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
I am mildly entertained by the Armstrong political play to suppress the advancement of the investigation.

The argument that it is a waste of taxpayer money is an immense joke, as the FDA's criminal investigation group has a $41M/yr budget. This is a Contador-ian clenbuterol level of money as compared to the overwhelming amount of money in the USA budget (specifically tax revenues).

Another very key reason that the FDA criminal investigation group does not report to anyone is to prevent them from being subject to political influence, much like the DoJ, the IRS, and others that must maintain the appearance of objectivity and impartiality in doing their jobs.

I found this fascinating info-graphic, which puts into perspective just how much the USA spends on line items, departments and the like. For reference, the total budget of the FDA is about half that of the NIH's Indian Health Services Department.

Their argument is poor and intentionally misleading.

Take a look at the money:

http://img840.imageshack.us/i/taxesl.jpg/

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Not when you tell the whole story as Landis has.

It doesn't matter and he hasn't told the whole story, only the parts relevant to doping. Every time he does a long presser - of any sort - his value and the value of his future work increases as more people gain interest in his story.

This isn't advanced PR, doc.

JMBeaushrimp said:
Doctor Mas;

Please! For the love of all things holy! You have to stop allowing yourself to get baited!

I appreciate your opinion, and your big brain full of interesting tid-bits, but this has got to end.

I'd rather you pick up a hammer and start going at your own head (I'd recommend a ballpeen).

There is no convincing the ***. That's why they're called ***. They are ***.

I realize the season's ramping up, and the usual Clinic suspects aren't being as prolific as they tend to be, but please - no more trying to pick them (the trolls) apart.

Post a relevant link, hope that they're literate (might be a tall order), and then shut up. If they get after you again, post another link that makes your point.

Catering to these stumps only gives them a soap-box to effect weaker minds.

This is war, baby. War!

Reason with him to take PEDS but please don't talk him into ruining my entertainment.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Floyd Landis is a big fat liar who defrauded poor fools into giving him money. Nobody can dispute that. That's why it is such a good point for Armstrong's attorneys to make. Floyd's a tainted witness. Any lawyer (except Floyd's!) would acknowledge that.

Floyd's not fat. He is still pretty skinny. The vast majority of the funds game from rich donors who were fully aware of the truth, so don't fell too sorry for him

As for Floyd as a witness, the case has expanded far beyond Floyd. He will be only one of many

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Floyd's not fat. He is still pretty skinny. The vast majority of the funds game from rich donors who were fully aware of the truth, so don't fell too sorry for him

As for Floyd as a witness, the case has expanded far beyond Floyd. He will be only one of many

I would guess that Armstrongs' lawyers would shoot Floyd out of the water if Floyd testified against Armstrong.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
You're just sore because you were dumb enough to give him money.

I bought Floyds book. Not because I thought him innocent, but because he was simply playing on an even field. I actually believe his Tour victory was unfairly taken, obviously a French Conspiracy. I hate when that happens! I mean come on guy, who was that French guy (RV)who won the polka dot jersey a few years back? Who was that Italian guy (P)who won the polka dot jersey a few years back? Who was that frightening Noferatu looking Dane (CHIK)who won the polka dot jersey a few years back? Were they as clean as Floyd in the 06 tour? NOT!

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:
It doesn't matter and he hasn't told the whole story, only the parts relevant to doping. Every time he does a long presser - of any sort - his value and the value of his future work increases as more people gain interest in his story.

This isn't advanced PR, doc.
"Only the parts relevant to doping." - what other part is Floyd going to get PR (& ultimately payment) from? His thoughts on nuclear science, cooking, film reviewer?

So, after Floyd has now told his whole story, someone is now going to pay him to tell the same whole story again?

If you have a story to sell - you give snippets of it to generate interest, as you say its not advanced PR.

eleven said:
If this goes to trial, I'm fairly certain Floyd won't be asked to testify.
Are you 'certain' or just hopeful?
You do realize that others have now come forward and corroborated what Landis has said?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
"Only the parts relevant to doping." - what other part is Floyd going to get PR (& ultimately payment) from? His thoughts on nuclear science, cooking, film reviewer?

So, after Floyd has now told his whole story, someone is now going to pay him to tell the same whole story again?

If you have a story to sell - you give snippets of it to generate interest, as you say its not advanced PR.

You do realize that others have now come forward and corroborated what Landis has said?

Eleven is 12 short :D

Floyd's got baggage, BUT . . .

eleven said:
If this goes to trial, I'm fairly certain Floyd won't be asked to testify.

Floyd (the big fat liar) would almost have to be called as a witness. The judge/jury will expect him to testify. Furthermore, his testimony would be fantastic for putting all the other little pieces of evidence into context. He can explain everything. A very good fed case without Floyd becomes a great case with him.

Floyd is like a catalyst. He does nothing by himself, but with a complete array of evidence . . . Va-VOOM.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Floyd (the big fat liar) would almost have to be called as a witness. The judge/jury will expect him to testify. Furthermore, his testimony would be fantastic for putting all the other little pieces of evidence into context. He can explain everything. A very good fed case without Floyd becomes a great case with him.

Floyd is like a catalyst. He does nothing by himself, but with a complete array of evidence . . . Va-VOOM.

really?

if you have 4 other riders, multiple support staff, a business partner or two....you don't need Floyd

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

Yes! Most certainly. He has a whole life story to tell.

I said fairly certain - and yes, I'm fairly certain.

While no one outside the GJ knows if that's true, it would actually strengthen my belief that he won't testify. Why put him up there if you have other people who can take the stand without having their credibility as easily challenged?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Floyd (the big fat liar) would almost have to be called as a witness.

Huh? By who?

The judge/jury will expect him to testify.

The judge has no expectations as to who is expected to testify.

Furthermore, his testimony would be fantastic for putting all the other little pieces of evidence into context. He can explain everything. A very good fed case without Floyd becomes a great case with him.

Oh bejeebers. Really? The job of a defense attorney would never be made easier. That job would be to totally and completely discredit Landis - and it would give the defense an opportunity to distract from the trial by placing motive behind the claims they will claim are lies.

He would be raked over coals and fried.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
really?

if you have 4 other riders, multiple support staff, a business partner or two....you don't need Floyd

Exactly!

Of course, the defense could always call Floyd as a witness.

Dave.

Exactly, redux. Floyd is toxic to both sides and will be relegated to the sidelines. If he's vindicated, it won't be by his own actions in court but the actions of others.

eleven said:
Exactly!

D-Queued said:
Of course, the defense could always call Floyd as a witness.

:D

Dave.

Exactly, redux. Floyd is toxic to both sides and will be relegated to the sidelines. If he's vindicated, it won't be by his own actions in court but the actions of others.

Contested a traffic ticket once. Judge was very kind.

Upon asking the officer a question whose answer would surely have sealed my fate, the judge intervened before he answered.

"Are you sure you want to ask that question?" he asked me.

I didn't have a fancy lawyer, but took the hint and retracted my question.

If Lance, Fabiani and co are dumb enough to call Floyd as a witness, they deserve jail time.

Dave.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
eleven said:

While no one outside the GJ knows if that's true, it would actually strengthen my belief that he won't testify. Why put him up there if you have other people who can take the stand without having their credibility as easily challenged?[/QUOTE]

Good point and it's also likely that very few will be required to testify. If anyone; it will be a dull procession of accounting people indicating where the money went and who directed expenditures. Then LA will cop a plea and sell others out if the presented evidence portrays him as more than a Roger Clemenesque drug user. No one thinks this is about Lance's drug use alone, do they?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
eleven said:

While no one outside the GJ knows if that's true, it would actually strengthen my belief that he won't testify. Why put him up there if you have other people who can take the stand without having their credibility as easily challenged?[/QUOTE]

Good point and it's also likely that very few will be required to testify. If anyone; it will be a dull procession of accounting people indicating where the money went and who directed expenditures. Then LA will cop a plea and sell others out if the presented evidence portrays him as more than a Roger Clemenesque drug user. No one thinks this is about Lance's drug use alone, do they?

Here it is all about Lance. We here are all stuck on a rubber band ball of yellow plastic, sad.