• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Beatles

A

Anonymous

Okay, since politics and various topics are appropriate here, I thought I'd bring up one I hope will get people boiling with anger.

I cannot stand The Beatles. The only one with any talent was George Harrison, and that was minimal. Every year around Christmas I froth at the mouth when I hear that "Simply having a wonderful Christmas time" song by the most talentless of them, Sir Paul McCartney. John Lennon was self absorbed and not a very talented song writer. "Imagine" just isn't that great of a song. And Ringo? Please!

The White Album could be amusing when under the influence of certain substances, but all in all, I am just not a fan of their music. In fact, I listen most anything they wrote, and turn it off quickly. Especially anything done by Sir Paul McCartney. He is a real hack.

And you?

A

Anonymous

Whilst i respect your entitlement to have an opinion, I think youre opinion is tosh :D

greatest band in the world... well, except for the doors maybe..

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Okay, since politics and various topics are appropriate here, I thought I'd bring up one I hope will get people boiling with anger.

I cannot stand The Beatles. The only one with any talent was George Harrison, and that was minimal. Every year around Christmas I froth at the mouth when I hear that "Simply having a wonderful Christmas time" song by the most talentless of them, Sir Paul McCartney. John Lennon was self absorbed and not a very talented song writer. "Imagine" just isn't that great of a song. And Ringo? Please!

The White Album could be amusing when under the influence of certain substances, but all in all, I am just not a fan of their music. In fact, I listen most anything they wrote, and turn it off quickly. Especially anything done by Sir Paul McCartney. He is a real hack.

And you?

A self admitted Troll :D

I certainly do not see the Beatles to be at the level of popularity that they claimed 40 years ago. I have a number of their songs on the MP3 player and enjoy listening to their music but they are on a level somewhat lower than some other favorites in my opinion. I have to disagree on Ringo though, he has a fairly good handle on taxation :D:D:D

I still like them and think they had a magic like no other and wrote as many great songs as anyone in history.

Having said that, I think they are over-revered at times, over-praised at times, and some people that gush about them are past dwellers.

Many, many people feel as though Harrison was as gifted as Lenon-McCartney as a songwriter, but didn't get nearly as much respect, or songs recorded. Thus per the above comment, a lot of people haven't burnt out on his songs as much as the others. He was also a little more worldly than the others in the band perhaps, helping his music stand the test of time quite well.

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:

And you?

Yeah, I never have understood the hysteria over the Beatles. I don't have anything by them on my ipod, have never purchased an album or CD but I like Oasis... weird, huh?

Actually, if you're thinking of "Taxman" that's a Harrison song.

Remember the line "If 5% appears too small, be happy I don't take it all". Yes, back in the mid-60's the most wealthy in England paid a 95% tax rate! (And you thought taxes were too high in this country!)

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I have preface my comments with the fact that I am musically challenged; however, that being said, I am listening to Trans-Siberian Orchestra at the moment and believe that their covers of classical masterpieces ranks much higher on a scale of artistic talent in terms of composition and technical skill than most of the Beatles hits that I can remember.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
[quote=Thoughtforfood;126218 John Lennon was self absorbed and not a very talented song writer. "Imagine" just isn't that great of a song.

'...............'

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Actually, if you're thinking of "Taxman" that's a Harrison song.

Remember the line "If 5% appears too small, be happy I don't take it all". Yes, back in the mid-60's the most wealthy in England paid a 95% tax rate! (And you thought taxes were too high in this country!)

Then it is Harrison that deserves credit for a favorite every April 15th.

A

Anonymous

To me, they are just the first Boy Band to go global. The Jonas brothers are their offspring in musical genealogy.

Actually, while I dislike Sir Paul's songs, Lennon is the one I just don't get. Anyone who married Yoko Ono and thought she had talent is someone I question every fiber of.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
To me, they are just the first Boy Band to go global. The Jonas brothers are their offspring in musical genealogy.

Actually, while I dislike Sir Paul's songs, Lennon is the one I just don't get. Anyone who married Yoko Ono and thought she had talent is someone I question every fiber of.

You do not get the artistic talent of someone to put out a board, hammer and some nails?

A

Anonymous

All I am saying is that "She loves you, yea, yea, yea" is not what I would call Dylanesque.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Yeah, I never have understood the hysteria over the Beatles. I don't have anything by them on my ipod, have never purchased an album or CD but I like Oasis... weird, huh?

You had to be there at the time. The fact that many current acts like Oasis, Shins, Snow Patrol, Nirvana, etc; are derivative from the Beatles takes some perspective. The Beatles derived from Buddy Holley and Elvis who occurred because of American Delta Blues and Irish folks songs. Only until **** Dale started channeling Middle East rythms into surf music did anything "new" come along.
They are overhyped.But from a historical perspective it's difficult to accept the opinion of generations that embraced Kiss, White Snake, Britney Spears, Madonna or any other fabricated performance machines. You had to be there when nothing else was going on.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

Brian Wilson and Mike Love were really disappointed with that first statement, but cheered up considerably in light of your second one.

A

Anonymous

Oldman said:
You had to be there at the time. The fact that many current acts like Oasis, Shins, Snow Patrol, Nirvana, etc; are derivative from the Beatles takes some perspective. The Beatles derived from Buddy Holley and Elvis who occurred because of American Delta Blues and Irish folks songs. Only until **** Dale started channeling Middle East rythms into surf music did anything "new" come along.
They are overhyped.But from a historical perspective it's difficult to accept the opinion of generations that embraced Kiss, White Snake, Britney Spears, Madonna or any other fabricated performance machines. You had to be there when nothing else was going on.

Thats the thing, I didn't embrace any of the bands you list. I embraced The Replacements, and Iggy Pop, and The Dead Kennedys, and The Jesus Lizard, and dinosaur jr, and other bands that really didn't start out with 16 year old girls screaming their names only to discover that pot was fun to smoke and that people who were high would fall for things that sound deep.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Thats the thing, I didn't embrace any of the bands you list. I embraced The Replacements, and Iggy Pop, and The Dead Kennedys, and The Jesus Lizard, and dinosaur jr, and other bands that really didn't start out with 16 year old girls screaming their names only to discover that pot was fun to smoke and that people who were high would fall for things that sound deep.

And Iggy and the Dead Kennedys don't remind you of anyone from the Beatles' era? Mick and Keith would be so disappointed.

A

Anonymous

Oldman said:
And Iggy and the Dead Kennedys don't remind you of anyone from the Beatles' era? Mick and Keith would be so disappointed.

On to another band with little to no talent I see...

Mick and Keith did a lot of drugs and sang about "Brown Sugar" and such...bit whoop. Talk about a mainstream band masquerading as something deeper. No, Iggy and DK are genuine...The Rolling Stones just got f&^ked up a lot.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
actually, there was a better band than the beatles...

WINGS :D

I didn't weigh in on Sir Paul's contributions but you summed up the "zenith" of his talent. To be sure the Beatles were an historical opportunity of promotion and music that kind of happened. They were really lucky...then there was Wings. Some people don't know where to stop, I guess.

A

Anonymous

The Who, now there is a band I can say brought something with value to the table.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
The Who, now there is a band I can say brought something with value to the table.

They are the greatest band who ever performed live. Got to see them several times and they only reinforced that rock is talentXvelocityXattitude. Keith Moon was certifiable. Pearl Jam channels them very well.