• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Better Overall Rider: Evans or Contador

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Better overall rider

• Alberto Contador

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
You can say some bad things about Contador, no question about it.

But saying he's lazy? That's just ridiculous. Proving he's not lazy would mean that there might be some doubt about it.

Besides i'm too lazy to typ ;)

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
It was an opinion? I'm sorry, I thought he was stating it as a fact.
It is a manner a forum member is communicating in. One is entitled to have its own. You for instance can be easily accused of absence of your own opinion, but it almost always duplicates Contador's offical version. However, no one is bringing you up for that! :)

42x16ss said:
Contador may not be an all time great yet, but at 29 years old, it is only a matter of time. His stage race record is as good as any of the riders I mentioned and he is only the second rider to win all three GT's more than once, after Hinault (IF you count the 2011 Giro).

He is a work in progress but unlike most of those previous champions, he has never won the world's or won a classic and I disagree about the grand tours. He hasn't reached that level yet even though he is the best of his generation. He won't reach the level of Merckx or Hinault but may pass the grand tour careers of the others even though he lacks the versatility to win one day classics as well. His sprint lets him down but in certain hilly classics with the right tactics he could be hard to beat if he bothered attempting them.

movingtarget said:
He is a work in progress but unlike most of those previous champions, he has never won the world's or won a classic and I disagree about the grand tours. He hasn't reached that level yet even though he is the best of his generation. He won't reach the level of Merckx or Hinault but may pass the grand tour careers of the others even though he lacks the versatility to win one day classics as well. His sprint lets him down but in certain hilly classics with the right tactics he could be hard to beat if he bothered attempting them.

But he won't :D Next year no one day races for Berto :rolleyes:

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
It is very funny to read how a modest guy came into the thread to express his opinion and he was instantly attacked by one's fans. One poster even tries on the role of police of ethics and reports to mods as soon as someone tells about doping and Contador (NOT just doping!). LOL, guys you should work on your equanimity and self-esteem otherwise it will end up very bad for you. Your arguments will never stop critics towards Contador and will not do it less reasonable. The man has got delinquencies. So no drama. It is just Contador and cycling forum.

airstream said:
It is very funny to read how a modest guy came into the thread to express his opinion and he was instantly attacked by one's fans. .

so disagreeing with people who's (supposed) opinions one disagrees with is wrong.

One poster even tries on the role of police of ethics and reports to mods as soon as someone tells about doping and Contador.
But bringing up doping on a forum specifically designed for non doping discussions is perfectly ok?

Go create your own forum then, where disagreeing with people who don't like contador is not allowed but going on all day about contadors clenbuterol andhow he belongs in hell, is.

Until then play by the rules you agreed to when you signed up.

And i don't know who this wannabe policeman is ( or how you know what he reports) but i raise a glass to him and hope he continues to report you and your kind when you post your unwanted filth in the wrong forum.

The Hitch said:
so disagreeing with people who's (supposed) opinions one disagrees with is wrong.

But bringing up doping on a forum specifically designed for non doping discussions is perfectly ok?

Go create your own forum then, where disagreeing with people who don't like contador is not allowed but going on all day about contadors clenbuterol andhow he belongs in hell, is.

And i don't know who this wannabe policeman is ( or how you know what he reports) but i raise a glass to him and hope he continues to report you and your kind when you post your unwanted filth in the wrong forum.

+1000
DITTO what Hitch said!!!!!

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
It is called hounding. I know because I'm subjected to that since the first day on the forum. So I clearly understand this guy though he is apparently older and wiser than me and he could percieve your incursion quietly.

I consider Zubeldia a better than Contador rider too and what? :rolleyes:

airstream said:
It is called hounding. I know because I'm subjected to that since the first day on the forum. So I clearly understand this guy though he is apparently older and wiser than me and he could percieve your incursion quietly.

I consider Zubeldia a better than Contador rider too and what? :rolleyes:

And nothing. You are entitled to that opinion. And i am entitled to my response that that opinion is stupid.

airstream said:
It is called hounding. I know because I'm subjected to that since the first day on the forum.

Maybe because you refuse to follow the rules???? Did that ever occur to you, Accepting Personal Responsibility????

Go to the clinic and have fun, your drug related opinions are welcome there and you'll find plenty of folks that Agree with you!

The Hitch said:

The Hitch said:
And nothing. You are entitled to that opinion. And i am entitled to my response that that opinion is stupid.

this, +10000

Reporting to the mods is really ... cowardice. :eek:
And on top of that, it's done anonymously.

Shall I ever report to the mods when I see a post that I don't appreciate? Sir, no Sir. Freedom for Christ's sake.

I don't know what to call this. I'm staggered. I mean, I'm feeling like in the old schoolyard when we reported to the teachers (or perhaps in 1942...).

Sad, very sad. :(

And no I don't like this omerta rule about doping but I tend to respect it whenever possible. However sometimes, it's impossible. Otherwise it seems like false pleading to me.

Miburo said:
But saying he's lazy? That's just ridiculous. Proving he's not lazy would mean that there might be some doubt about it.

What do you call a rider who is on holiday from August to January? :confused:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Echoes said:
Reporting to the mods is really ... cowardice. :eek:
And on top of that, it's done anonymously.

Shall I ever report to the mods when I see a post that I don't appreciate? Sir, no Sir. Freedom for Christ's sake.

I don't know what to call this. I'm staggered. I mean, I'm feeling like in the old schoolyard when we reported to the teachers (or perhaps in 1942...).

Sad, very sad. :(

And no I don't like this omerta rule about doping but I tend to respect it whenever possible. However sometimes, it's impossible. Otherwise it seems like false pleading to me.

What do you call a rider who is on holiday from August to January? :confused:

He's won the Vuelta two times already. ;)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
A spring classics rider

2005 Madrid
Tom Boonen (BEL) Alejandro Valverde (ESP) Anthony Geslin (FRA)

2006 Salzburg
Paolo Bettini (ITA) Erik Zabel (GER) Alejandro Valverde (ESP)

2007 Stuttgart
Paolo Bettini (ITA) Alexandr Kolobnev (RUS) Stefan Schumacher (GER)

2008 Varese
Alessandro Ballan (ITA) Damiano Cunego (ITA) Matti Breschel (DEN)

2009 Mendrisio
Cadel Evans (AUS) Alexandr Kolobnev (RUS) Joaquim Rodríguez (ESP)

2010 Geelong
Thor Hushovd (NOR) Matti Breschel (DEN) Allan Davis (AUS)

2011 Copenhagen
Mark Cavendish (GBR) Matthew Goss (AUS) André Greipel (GER)

2012 Valkenburg
Philippe Gilbert (BEL) Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) Alejandro Valverde (ESP)

You sure about that? ;)

The Hitch said:
A spring classics rider- your favorite.

If you're talking about Fabian Cancellara who is not necessarily my favourite, I'll just remind you that he was not on holiday, he was laying on a hospital cot ...:rolleyes:

Angliru said:
A rider that you're apparently quite envious of. Teachers in the US get the summer's off. Are they lazy too?

I'm not envious of anybody. I'm just thinking of the future of my favourite sport, the most beautiful sport of the world. And with such riders, I see it very gloomy.

The second part of your quote is simply beyond the limits of indecency...

Carols said:
I call him a Dual Vuelta winner

Those Contadortards are really boring ... Always have to repeat myself. He's not interested in the Vuelta, he only races it when he's kept from Bore de France. If he's allowed to race Bore de France, he would never be interested in anything else.

And even when he's racing those other races, which are still only GT's, it's still not more than 68 days of racing overall, as has been shown earlier on this thread.

Always repeating oneself, boring ...

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Evans wouldn't have been interested in the Vuelta either if he won the Tour. The only reason he rode it was because he always failed in the Tour until 2011. Do you think Eddy Merckx gave a **** about the Vuelta? He didn't. Neither did Freddy Maertens who viewed it as a prep race for the Giro.

Contador is the only rider in the peloton to have won 2 GTs in a season and he did great in 2011 as well. And before you try and show off Evans starting in the Tour Down Under, remember that a victory in the Tour Down Under is what Contador considers his most beautiful victory. ;)

Contador is racing to win in every single one of those 68 days. I can't say the same about Evans.

7 GTs versus 1. Case closed.

TRENDING THREADS