• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The big winner in todays TT stage...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
without a doubt, IMO: AC.

Lance is who I'm pulling for but I do like Alberto and he took command in the TdF today. He showed HE is the MAN to beat, overall. It should be interesting to see how this whole magical event unfolds. I'm excited and really enjoying the various stories so far...could see something historic in this race.

If Lance has what it takes, I expect he will show it in the first Mt stage...he'll have to, otherwise, Alberto is gone and the race will be for second place.

Can't wait for the TTT, then the first Mt Stage. Should be interesting how each Astana GC contender takes a pull at the front in the TTT. That should indicate a lot about the team and individual dynamics.

A

Anonymous

Robert Merivel said:

Lance is who I'm pulling for but I do like Alberto and he took command in the TdF today. He showed HE is the MAN to beat, overall. It should be interesting to see how this whole magical event unfolds. I'm excited and really enjoying the various stories so far...could see something historic in this race.

If Lance has what it takes, I expect he will show it in the first Mt stage...he'll have to, otherwise, Alberto is gone and the race will be for second place.

Can't wait for the TTT, then the first Mt Stage. Should be interesting how each Astana GC contender takes a pull at the front in the TTT. That should indicate a lot about the team and individual dynamics.

Ah yes, the man who wanted to bet his wife on Lance winning. BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......<breathe><breathe><breathe> ........BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Robert Merivel said:

Lance should take on the role of super-domestique with pride. He doesn't have what it takes any more. Use his experience to help Contador get his second will be a more lasting boost to his legacy than finishing in the top 10 (unless he can somehow manage to do both).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Ah yes, the man who wanted to bet his wife on Lance winning. BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......<breathe><breathe><breathe>........BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Now, now Ms. TfF, your slip is showing again. If you could only contain yourself, you might not get dropped on the next climb. Besides, at least I am willing to put my "money where my mouth is." Whereas you choose to hide behind your "safety blanket" of denial.

Keep drinking your beer, eating your chips, and dreaming about loosing those "extra pounds." You know, if you lost 30 or 40 pounds, which could happen if you weren't so obsessed with spending all your time posting here and "thinking about food" all the time (name and form), you might be able to get on your bike, again, and experience the real world.

Touche!

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
Ah yes, the man who wanted to bet his wife on Lance winning. BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......<breathe><breathe><breathe> ........BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

He keeps saying he's married with kids but I can't imagine he's older than 12.

A

Anonymous

robert merivel said:
now, now ms. Tff, your slip is showing again. If you could only contain yourself, you might not get dropped on the next climb. Besides, at least i am willing to put my "money where my mouth is." whereas you choose to hide behind your "safety blanket" of denial.

Keep drinking your beer, eating your chips, and dreaming about loosing those "extra pounds." you know, if you lost 30 or 40 pounds, which could happen if you weren't so obsessed with spending all your time posting here and "thinking about food" all the time (name and form), you might be able to get on your bike, again, and experience the real world.

Touche!

bawhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha .............bawhahahahahahahahahahahahah

bawhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Ah, I've found the post-stage insult topic. :D

Guys c'mon, there are clearly no moderators to stop really silly **** from spoiling things, so we're gonna have to self-moderate >>breathe in, breathe out >>ignore >> carry on etc.

Of course AC looks like today's big winner, but it's worth remembering that the four Astanas are separated by only 22 seconds. But what's fascinating me is how Cancellara will do in the mountains. Could it be that his climbing has improved to such an extent that he might be a serious contender for the GC?

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:

Guys c'mon, there are clearly no moderators to stop really silly **** from spoiling things, so we're gonna have to self-moderate >>breathe in, breathe out >>ignore >> carry on etc.

Of course AC looks like today's big winner, but it's worth remembering that the four Astanas are separated by only 22 seconds. But what's fascinating me is how Cancellara will do in the mountains. Could it be that his climbing has improved to such an extent that he might be a serious contender for the GC?

I am wondering, but he is still heavy for the big stages. It will be interesting to see how he does as he knows exactly what he needs to do. However, once things get really steep, A. Schleck will clearly have to be protected. If Contador takes the lead after the TTT, it would be hard for Saxo to ride for Sparticus. He will be protected, but once it is down to that group of 15 on the climb, he will find it hard to keep up I think.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:

thanks for that. Ikeep having to scroll back to the top to remember what the thread is about.

Without a doubt ac and astana are the big winners today but i just don't see cancellara doing the mountain eagle thing. I mean the td swiss was hardly a true test this year with 30-40 riders contesting a 'mountain top' finish and he has yet to prove himself on a proper mountain stage

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
39*23t said:
Without a doubt ac and astana are the big winners today but i just don't see cancellara doing the mountain eagle thing. I mean the td swiss was hardly a true test this year with 30-40 riders contesting a 'mountain top' finish and he has yet to prove himself on a proper mountain stage

I don't buy it either, but that's also why I'm really looking forward to see how he does when the going gets tough. IF he were able to limit losses to very small margins, he'd be unbeatable. Just one of the many totally fascinating sub-plots that will be played out in this Tour.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
I don't buy it either, but that's also why I'm really looking forward to see how he does when the going gets tough. IF he were able to limit losses to very small margins, he'd be unbeatable. Just one of the many totally fascinating sub-plots that will be played out in this Tour.

have to say a top twenty would be an excellent ride for him

A

Anonymous

39*23t said:
thanks for that. Ikeep having to scroll back to the top to remember what the thread is about.

He did a great ride today but I have to say, at his size, if he hangs with the little guys in the mountains it's going to look like one of those too good to be true things. Did you see him and Contador in the same frame on TV? He's huge.

A

Anonymous

It does amuse me, after 15km of a 3000km race, how people are already deciding that some are dead certs to win, some should quit now based on a TT.. We seem to have acquired some additional minds around here over the last few days, the conversations are going downhill..

I think Levis comments where interesting, it wasnt the best I can do, im not 100%, but its a three week tour and i dont want to start at 100%

I dont think there where any big winners today in the grand scheme of things, I think Kreuziger, Martin and Nibali will be delighted with their performances, if youd offered those three guys 15-20 seconds off contador/evans etc this morning they would have bitten your hand off..

I do thought think there where some big losers...
v Contador...
Andy Schleck +42s
Frank Schleck +1m18s
Menchov +1m.13s

I think cancellara and voigt are going to have to drag the schlecks back into it somehow.. Menchov with rabo not being the strongest TT team, is looking at hitting the mountains at a fair disadvantage..

But the big winner, certainly not contador, hes right in the midst of Evans etc, but worst scenario for him, his three teammates are right on his tail and the dominance he wanted to established hasnt happened..

Big winners for me, Kreuziger and Nibali..

as for will ac attack in teh mountains blah blah blah.. im more interested if zabel has managed to teach cav how to win an intermediate sprint yet.. :D

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
fabian

come on people. Cancellara will not, in any way shape or form, contend when the mountains arrive. He's not planning on it, Saxo isn't planning on it, what so ever.
The swiss tour was an unfortunate joke. They didn't do a fraction of the climbing they usually do. That was a race sculpted for Fabian. Really.
Contador will be the man to beat. Managing Liquigas, Sastre, Schleck, and possibly, Gerdemann will be the challenge for Astana.
I'd like to see Astana secure the top spot, and perhaps 4 in the top 10. that would be domination, and a real possibility.
The big missing link, for me is no Basso, or valverde

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

Calm down Foody, don't skip taking your medicine this morning.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
It was an interesting stage.....

I was disappointed at how Lance rode but then again not too surprised. Contador definitely showed he was the one to watch. I am convinced Contador will be the one to beat....he looked good. Its a three week race still and the times here aren't really all that huge at this point. I think it definitely showed who is to watch:

Schelck, Andy
Contador, Alberto
Sastre, Carlos
LA
LL
Sorry Evans and Kloden don't fall into that category.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Good stuff..

Bertie did a great job... He did what he had to do.
Fabian also did fantastic...
This tour would have been even more interesting with the inclusion of Basso..
I think we have a lot to look forward to regardless.
I will enjoy July..:)

Robert Merivel said:
If Lance has what it takes, I expect he will show it in the first Mt stage....
Do people really believe he's going to drop Contador, Schleck, Sastre, etc. on Stage 7?

dimspace said:
I do think there where some big losers...
v Contador...
Andy Schleck +42s
Frank Schleck +1m18s
Menchov +1m.13s
I actually that time is decent for Schlekette. I'd put Sastre on that list before him. Also Gesink, LL Sanchez, Hushovd, and Periero as a bit disappointed.

But the big winner, certainly not contador, hes right in the midst of Evans etc, but worst scenario for him, his three teammates are right on his tail and the dominance he wanted to established hasnt happened..
It was only a 15km ITT!!! And the guy is a climber! Considering he got 2nd, and only that to the monster performance by Spartacus, I'd say he has to be pretty happy right about now. Just to finish ahead of Lance was all that was needed, and he did it by :22 sec. He'll also wear the KOM jersey tomorrow. If you're looking for domination, I'd be more likely to expect it on Stage 7. To me Astana's "winner" today was Contador, or Klodi. Not many are mentioning his excellent time.

I'd also say CVV was a winner today. Only 57 back, when people were writing him off.

BroDeal said:
FLandis should be there. With the descent he would have drilled that course.
Not the way he's riding this year. Otherwise, I do agree that the course would have suited him very well. Yes, it would have been interesting to see Basso, Valverde, and Floyd there. Alas, 'tis not to be.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Big loser was Menchov losing his customary minute early on. Looks like he's done a reverse and peaked too early for the Giro. This doesn't bode well for the rest of his tour. Expected a bit more from Gesink as well so not a great day for Rabo.

The eyecatching ride for me apart from the winner was Kreuziger. Looked super smooth.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Do people really believe he's going to drop Contador, Schleck, Sastre, etc. on Stage 7?

Yes. Yes, they do. It is all part of Bruyneel's master plan. It would not be good for Armstrong to get the jersey too early and tire the team out. He glass cranked the time trial so that Saxo would have to work the next few days. He is also ramping up his form to the last week. :rolleyes:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I'd also say CVV was a winner today. Only 57 back, when people were writing him off.

I do not think this bodes well for CVV. He seems like the type of rider who needs to do a great time trial and then hold on in the mountains. The Schlecklet was only three seconds slower than him.

I noticed that the "winner" of the 2006 TdF dropped a minute and a half.

A

Anonymous

Bagster said:
Calm down Foody, don't skip taking your medicine this morning.

Who is this person who speaks to me as though he is fit to carry my jock strap?

TRENDING THREADS