• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Book of HogWalsh

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Digger said:
Yet in another part of the book he says that comparing speeds and times is 'flimsy' when he has to somehow address AX3 and Ventoux.

adding to that:

DW: Why is it sad? They’re cheating. It’s sad that they cheat, but it’s good news when they get caught. What is sad is that the guy who’s wearing the yellow jersey now, Alberto Contador, is definitely cheating.

M: How can you tell he’s cheating?

DW: Michael Rasmussen went up the Gourette-Col d'Aubisque faster than Lance Armstrong ever went up it. Alberto Contador was alongside him the whole way. I’ve been at that race since the early 80s and I know what speeds they go up that mountain. The speeds the leaders go up at today are just illogical.

walsh2.jpg

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Can we please keep this thread to quotes from the book with chapter and page number references.

:)

If you want to comment on something here copy and paste it into your reply on the Walsh thread so this thread remains quotes only!

Hog posted this.

thehog said:

So for ventoux Walsh says that what is really important is that the stage was in his eyes easier than when lance did it. That excuses froomes performance.

Ok then well surely for ax 3 you have to in that case point out that the stage was quite a bit harder than when lance did it.

Apparently not. Walsh picks and chooses when variables like stage difficulty matter, and conveniently they always suit his preheld beliefs.

thehog said:
Like a jilted lover left at the alter...

erl5k8.jpg
Libertine Seguros said:
Funny, from the same team that gave us this:

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=834036&postcount=1368

(Taken from an interview with Norwegian TV after a stage in País Vasco where they didn't study the roadbook enough to notice that the uncategorised climb with a couple of kilometres to go was actually a kilometre at 10%, and so toasted their puncheurs trying to lead a sprint out). Sounds like the roadbook at THAT point was more like the Bible you find in your hotel room.

David Walsh makes a big deal above out of Sky focusing so much on every little detail leavbing nothing behind.

LS and Maltiv however give an example of where Sky, in fact, showed that their preperation can at times be pathetically weak.

One could also add the fact that Froome admited in an interview in May that he had never even been in a wind tunnel until very recently.

Which massively contradicts Walsh's portrayal of Sky as a team which leaves no stone unturned. Anyone remember the link for that interview?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Back at the Team Sky hotel in Embrun, Brailsford slept through most of the time trial, waking in time to watch the finish on television. ‘Chris has always been a good time-triallist,’ he said afterwards, ‘that’s where I first saw him, in Melbourne in the Commonwealth Games in 2006, first time I set eyes on him. Nathan O’Neill won that time trial, we had Steve Cummings and the usual suspects. I was there with Doug Dailey and Shane [Sutton]. Shane’s saying [in Brailsford’s best Australian twang], “You’re not going to believe this, some bloke’s turned up in sand shoes, jumped on his bike and look what he’s done. In a pair of ****ing sand shoes!” ‘We all looked and thought bloody hell that guy is impressive. He wasn’t up there, but it was impressive, you know, he caught the eye. And he was completely unknown. And then Doug, being Doug, said, “Ah, I might have a word with him, lads,” they got in touch, and the rest . . . was history really.'.

fYqjnua.png

DW: Why is it sad? They’re cheating. It’s sad that they cheat, but it’s good news when they get caught. What is sad is that the guy who’s wearing the yellow jersey now, Alberto Contador, is definitely cheating.

M: How can you tell he’s cheating?

DW: Michael Rasmussen went up the Gourette-Col d'Aubisque faster than Lance Armstrong ever went up it. Alberto Contador was alongside him the whole way. I’ve been at that race since the early 80s and I know what speeds they go up that mountain. The speeds the leaders go up at today are just illogical.

That's his smoking gun?:D:rolleyes:

the sceptic said:
----------------

The result is well known but I wonder how correct the anecdote is. Can't find any pics unfortunately. All I can see is that Kinjah had shoes in the RR.

Apparently they had to borrow bikes once they were in Melbourne, so Froome borrwed an MTB, TT and road bike but didn't bother getting a pair of kicks.

(Due to the infamous crash, we know he had full kit in Salzburg six months later).

May 26, 2009
Visit site
The idea that Sky personell start foaming at the mouth when they see pictures of dopers is just beyond ridiculous. If so they would be having epileptic fits every time they put their face outside their cozy bus as 95% of the TdF staff are ex-cyclists and yes... dopers.

Also, what happened when they learnt the shocking ever so secret truth of Sean Yates (along with the moto-man candids which did not do the rounds for months). Six staff members had to be hospitalized for slashing their wrist? Rod Eeling worth had to be restrained for trying to drive the Sky bus through Yates family-home?

TRENDING THREADS