• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Book of Lies

I think a list of all the lies Lance Armstrong has told during his career would stretch far longer than even the USADA report. But I suggest this thread for recording some of the biggest whoppers. I thought of this when RR linked to a 2006 NYT article that followed Frankie Andreu’s confession that he took EPO during his career. LA’s response at that time is just delicious in light of recent events:

In an interview with The New York Times on Wednesday, Armstrong said that former teammates confessing that they had doped — as well as other former teammates being caught for doping — should not taint his reputation or the reputation of the United States Postal Service team. Armstrong has repeatedly insisted he never took performing enhancing drugs. Three of Armstrong’s former lieutenants, including this year’s Tour winner, Floyd Landis, have tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs or methods after they left his team. Landis may be charged with an official doping violation as early as today.

“We’ve never had an athlete test positive,” Armstrong said of his former team’s 10 years in competition. “I think that is a strong statement.”

He claimed in a televised interview (it's in the video Briant Gumble posted above) that when he started racing in 1992 he started at the front.

His first professional road race (San Sebastian) he came in dead last.

When he came back from cancer, he dropped out of one of the early one week stage races because he couldn't hack the pace and went back to the US.

He then disappears into the mountains of North Carolina with (of all idiots) Bob Roll, and suddenly he comes back and wins the (I believe) Four Days of Dunkirk right off the bat, after spending what was 6-8 weeks not racing.

Then he has a miraculous stretch of form at the Vuelta and World Championships in later 1998, where his ex-wife was handing out M&M's like they were cortisone tablets.:D

A proper book of lies:

bible6.jpg

TRENDING THREADS