• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

the C I N E M A

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
I really want to see the Informant, but I heard an NPR special on it which was a major spoiler. Without having seen it, it has some really wild twists and turns, AND it is a true story to boot. Let me know what you think of the movie when you see it.
Very good film. However don't look for a linear story line. Go in with a lot of flexibility, otherwise you will be thrown off that bucking bronco, right quick pardner!:)

Saw Law Abiding Citizen. Average movie. Starts out great, then fizzles and gets absurd at the end. I'm a Jamie Foxx fan as he can really act in the right role (Ray, Collateral, I even liked him in Miami Vice), but here he just seemed a bit out of place. Then again, I'm growing weary of big Hollywood films.

Brothers looks like a good sleeper film coming up, the opposite of big Hollywood spectacle. Great trailer.

As far as documentaries go, I can't wait for Crude, and The End of Poverty. Those look very powerful.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Race Across the Sky, anyone???

If you're a LA fan, you'll be in Heaven:) But, all in all, it's a good piece of work and splendid exposure for the Leadville 100, a Great Adventure romp, and for a beautiful area of America. A very enjoyable couple of hrs. at the movies.

Couldn't quite bring myself to see it. Did love seeing this poster in the crowd though:

Dave-vs-Lance.jpg

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I saw Sherlock Holmes. I rather enjoyed it, but I see Holmsian purists thought it dumbed down the brand too much. I'd probably agree.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
We went and saw Avatar 3d today; it's not sci-fi really, more of a love story- the 3d was very cool, the kids all went "wow" when we put on our glasses for the 3d commercials before the feature flick. I give it a 9 out of 10.

Ironically, District 9 rates a 10 in my book. saw it in the summer and again on dvd, blew me away each time; especially the acting of the Wikus character, which I think is oscar worthy.

usedtobefast said:
i like robert downey,jr. he ain't no basil rathbone. i heard it was as bad as the remake of 'wild.wild west'...

That bad, huh?

I'll probably see it this week. I am a little leery about it. It looks like a very Holywoodized, CGI laden take on Holmes. Hopefully Guy Ritchy has an interesting take on the subject, but I was not that thrilled with Rocknrolla.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
If you go into the movie with low expectations, it is pretty good. If you have read all the books and seen every movie, you are gonna be disappointed.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I saw the Holmes movie as well. Although I liked the Victorian setting - a dark, grim and industrial looking London was very well represented - the plot is rather predictable. A law & order or CSI episode are more 'Holmesian' than this movie. The last thing that bothered me was that you - as an audience - - are never really involved in the resolution of events/mysteries/crimes.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Laszlo said:
We went and saw Avatar 3d today; it's not sci-fi really, more of a love story- the 3d was very cool, the kids all went "wow" when we put on our glasses for the 3d commercials before the feature flick. I give it a 9 out of 10.

Ironically, District 9 rates a 10 in my book. saw it in the summer and again on dvd, blew me away each time; especially the acting of the Wikus character, which I think is oscar worthy.

Went to Avatar with my son, a very visually stunning movie. However I felt it had too much of a cowboy versus Indian feel toward the storyline.

Laszlo said:

Cool. I have to wait until New Year's Day to see Avatar as it was the first day that we could book tickets to see it in 3D and get decent seats. Most screenings are fully booked or only had crap seats available until then.

I bought District 9 on Blu-Ray just the other day. Really looking forward to watching it again.

Gotta disagree with Mr Tibbs on Zombieland though... I thought it was a great movie, funny as all hell which any zombie movie should be.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
last film i saw, was god, high fidelity...

concentration threshold of 23 seconds and the smoking ban makes cinemas my idea of hell..

Good film, but after reading the book, one of my favorites, it is hard to think of it being set in Chicago.

Just saw Avatar. Got motionsickness - if 3D videos come out for use on rollers there is NO way I will buy one. Movie was fun, nice effects, but dialog written by an 8th grade girl and plot by an 8th grade boy.

Last good cycling film I saw was Road to Hell (I think that was it) about the T-mobile TdF team.

TheDude said:
Last good cycling film I saw was Road to Hell (I think that was it) about the T-mobile TdF team.

Hell on Wheels is the name you're looking for unless it was released under a different name where you are.

Check out Overcoming if you haven't already seen it. It's a documentary film on the CSC team about the same time as Hell on Wheels. I've found that it's stood up to repeat viewings much better than HoW though.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Tugboat said:
Hell on Wheels is the name you're looking for unless it was released under a different name where you are.

Check out Overcoming if you haven't already seen it. It's a documentary film on the CSC team about the same time as Hell on Wheels. I've found that it's stood up to repeat viewings much better than HoW though.

I find Overcoming gets boring after a while. Although seeing Jens Voigt rant and rave in English is quite funny. Top bloke our Jens.

Just saw Avatar in 3D this afternoon, I didn't find the 3D to be a problem at all. Actually I found it to be a good laugh at times.

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
A little tardy, but, "Up in the Air" is brilliantly written and delivered. A stinging comment on life in our times. It will make you laugh, it will make you smile. It will make you ponder what is going on around us, and what keeps us going through good times and bad. A very good film, in deed. It's worth the watch.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
cheap wedding dresses,wedding dresses,wedding dress,simple wedding dresses,classy wedding dresses,beautiful wedding dresses,weddingdress
wedding dresses
cheap wedding dresses
Evening dresses
With more 1000 Designer dresses,we supply Evening Dresses,Custom Dresses,formal gowns,cocktail dresses with wholesale price
prom dresses
Dresses, evening, cocktail, prom dresses, formal gowns from dresseslife. Homecoming dresses and bridesmaid
Graduation Dresses

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
cheap wedding dresses,wedding dresses,wedding dress,simple wedding dresses,classy wedding dresses,beautiful wedding dresses,weddingdress
wedding dresses
cheap wedding dresses
Evening dresses
With more 1000 Designer dresses,we supply Evening Dresses,Custom Dresses,formal gowns,cocktail dresses with wholesale price
prom dresses
Dresses, evening, cocktail, prom dresses, formal gowns from dresseslife. Homecoming dresses and bridesmaid
Graduation Dresses