• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Caleb Ewan Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

TMP402 said:
Have Ewan and Matthews ever been at the same sprint finish together, and if so, who led out whom? It seems to me Orica will lose one of them over the coming years to focus on the other. And if Gerrans was the same generation, it would be a further long-term selection dilemma.

Wow, perhaps they haven't ever ridden together. I tried using procyclingstats head to head comparison, and it says they haven't. I don't see why they would need to split. They are both very different riders. Matthews climbs very well and won't really compete against the likes of Griepel and Kittel. Ewan is more of a pure sprinter. The only think I could see being a problem is if Matthews wanted to go for the green jersey. He would need to compete in the flat stages even though he'd only place in the top 5.

Re: Re:

Jspear said:
TMP402 said:
Have Ewan and Matthews ever been at the same sprint finish together, and if so, who led out whom? It seems to me Orica will lose one of them over the coming years to focus on the other. And if Gerrans was the same generation, it would be a further long-term selection dilemma.

Wow, perhaps they haven't ever ridden together. I tried using procyclingstats head to head comparison, and it says they haven't. I don't see why they would need to split. They are both very different riders. Matthews climbs very well and won't really compete against the likes of Griepel and Kittel. Ewan is more of a pure sprinter. The only think I could see being a problem is if Matthews wanted to go for the green jersey. He would need to compete in the flat stages even though he'd only place in the top 5.

That's one scenario but there's the even more practical consideration of whether Orica try to control a race to make it harder for Matthews or calm things down for Ewan.

Re:

TMP402 said:

Not seeing that being an issue or at least over the next couple of years. Matthews goes off contract at the end of this year and he'll be either no1 or no2 priority when it comes to re-signing depending on whether the Yates have already decided to take the UK Postal bait. Gerrans goes off contract at the end of 2017 where he may indeed decide to hang up the bike.

Matthews and Ewan are two quite different riders. Putting aside any issues of top end speed, Matthews doesn't particularly like the biff n barge of the full bunch sprints. He's looking to be more a one-day classics rider (MSR, Amstel & Laurentian races) with his GT targets more the selective days where the pure sprinters are out the back.

At this point, Ewan is looking a "one trick pony" for full bunch kicks ... albeit its unknown how he will handle the biff n barge against the real big boys rather than the supporting cast. At this point, he's some years away from having the endurance for major one day races.

Over the next few years, its likely they'd send them to different GTs in any case . Given that OGE is looking to be more GC oriented (especially if they can retain one or both Yates), their GT line-ups will tend to mirror that with probably only 1-2 potential support for sprinters. It may get come down to who is the more "high maintenance" in that regard when it comes to selection

I am more worried about Matthews leaving. He continues his rate of progress and wins a classic he will be demand from other teams. As it stands know OGE is strong in the classics with Gerrans/Matthews and Cort could make the grade. OGE is focusing more on GC with Chavez and the Yates twins - We will know more about the Yates boys in the next two years but expect OGE to keep at least one if not both. OGE is Ok in the sprints with Ewan and Mezgec can do well in second level sprints.

OGE have adopted an interesting strategy for 2016. Had the ten or so riders who completed the Australian season today, but the remaining 15 riders are yet to race and will make their debut either on february 27 or 28. It will be interesting to see how this strategy works in 2016.

Re:

yaco said:
I am more worried about Matthews leaving. He continues his rate of progress and wins a classic he will be demand from other teams. As it stands know OGE is strong in the classics with Gerrans/Matthews and Cort could make the grade. OGE is focusing more on GC with Chavez and the Yates twins - We will know more about the Yates boys in the next two years but expect OGE to keep at least one if not both. OGE is Ok in the sprints with Ewan and Mezgec can do well in second level sprints.

OGE have adopted an interesting strategy for 2016. Had the ten or so riders who completed the Australian season today, but the remaining 15 riders are yet to race and will make their debut either on february 27 or 28. It will be interesting to see how this strategy works in 2016.

I think OGE will make keeping Matthews a major priority and if that involves a significant pay-rise then so be it. He's found an ideal home at OGE and what other Anglosphere team is likely to give him better support/priority ?

Gerrans contract runs out at the end of 2017 and retirement may be on the cards. The only major race where there is potential cross-over is Amstel and it may be a case that Matthews is prioritised for that race whilst Gerrans targets LBL. There may be some cross-over at TdF but as yet we don't know their exact schedules.

Cort is being looked on as a cobbled classics man so he's not really a "competitor" for Matthews and may indeed be used in other races as a lead-out for him. Whilst Mezgec could bring in 2nd tier results, he's far more likely to be in a complimentary role in major races.

Whilst OGE is moving more towards GC ambitions, I doubt that they will be going "all out" just yet in most GTs. They may throw a major effort behind Chaves at the Vuelta but the other two are more likely to be looking for stage wins.

Ewan at this point is far more "high maintenance" with regards to lead-out requirements; is far less capable of holding on to a high pace peleton ; going up-hill when the pace is laid down let alone making it to a selective finish. Whilst both are capable of good short prologues, Matthews has far greater staying power in this discipline and is a far greater asset in TTT format.

Whilst OGE will clearly keep on investing in Ewan, Matthews is currently one of the team's prime assets and delivers on far more fronts and at far higher levels. They won't be letting him go easily.

Absolutely correct Dirk you keep Matthews at all costs - OGE is aiming for a top 5 for Chavez at the Giro and the Vuelta - He'll enough support in Plaza Molina, Tzurruka, Keukeliere, Impey, Meier, Howson and Albasini. And expect OGE to target stage wins at the TDF after the disasters of 2015.

Ewan is ok as long as he continues to build his endurance - Can win a sprint on a good day as evidenced in the Vuelta - And sprinters often only race half for two thirds of a GT.

Re:

yaco said:
Absolutely correct Dirk you keep Matthews at all costs - OGE is aiming for a top 5 for Chavez at the Giro and the Vuelta - He'll enough support in Plaza Molina, Tzurruka, Keukeliere, Impey, Meier, Howson and Albasini. And expect OGE to target stage wins at the TDF after the disasters of 2015.

Ewan is ok as long as he continues to build his endurance - Can win a sprint on a good day as evidenced in the Vuelta - And sprinters often only race half for two thirds of a GT.

I'd doubt Ewan would go any longer than stage 7-8; why even put him through the 40km ITT when he's probably already struggling with the terrain ? He's years away from ever being any use in a one-day classic; if he couldn't handle Cuddles Race then ......

Some of the guys you listed as support for Chaves could also have dual utility as lead-out for any sprinter they took along. Not sure whether they will really pursue GC at Giro given the amount of ITT whereas the Vuelta looks far "friendlier" for Chaves.

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

I'd doubt Ewan would go any longer than stage 7-8; why even put him through the 40km ITT when he's probably already struggling with the terrain ? He's years away from ever being any use in a one-day classic; if he couldn't handle Cuddles Race then ......

Some of the guys you listed as support for Chaves could also have dual utility as lead-out for any sprinter they took along. Not sure whether they will really pursue GC at Giro given the amount of ITT whereas the Vuelta looks far "friendlier" for Chaves.

Dirk - I thought that OGE would target Chavez at the TDF - I worry about Chavez at the Giro with three ITT's - He is better suited to the Vuelta - Thought it was a good opportunity to split the Yates boys between Giro and Vuelta. OGE has set Chavez a target of top 5 in the Giro.

Ewan will have his hands full with Kittel at the Giro as well as the other Italian sprinters - The profile of the Giro best suits Ewan - there are definitely 6 stages in the first 15 which suit sprinters.

yaco said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Dirk - I thought that OGE would target Chavez at the TDF - I worry about Chavez at the Giro with three ITT's - He is better suited to the Vuelta - Thought it was a good opportunity to split the Yates boys between Giro and Vuelta. OGE has set Chavez a target of top 5 in the Giro.

Ewan will have his hands full with Kittel at the Giro as well as the other Italian sprinters - The profile of the Giro best suits Ewan - there are definitely 6 stages in the first 15 which suit sprinters.

the Yates had a 2 year contract (2014-2015) in spring last year they agreed for a Tour ride in 2015 AND 2016 and added 1 year contract (2016)
I think they were receiving many offers already. so the Orica deal was <you re-up 1 year and you make the Tour squad>

pastronef said:
yaco said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

the Yates had a 2 year contract (2014-2015) in spring last year they agreed for a Tour ride in 2015 AND 2016 and added 1 year contract (2016)
I think they were receiving many offers already. so the Orica deal was <you re-up 1 year and you make the Tour squad>

Is there any difference between riding the TDF or Giro or Vuelta early in your career - Reckon a it would be more achievable for the yates boys to win a stage at the Giro or Vuelta - This would increase their value to other teams.

Anyway we'll see what happens in 2016.

Yaco, OGE announced back in November that Chaves' GT program will be Giro then Vuelta with his other main objective being Olympic RR selection for COL. I would agree that the Vuelta is likely to be the one where there is the major GC push. It remains to be seen whether either or both Yates may ride any other GT beyond TdF; there is certainly a case to be made for that proposition just as one can be made for not doing so.

The odds of Ewan going beyond the 2nd rest day (after stage 9) are unlikely. He would have already had the majority of his chances and he will have already been heavily "knocked about' with 3 medium mountain stages. Whilst there may be 3 more flat stages left, his chances of surviving to actually ride them can be summarised as "*** all"

yaco said:
42x16ss said:
del1962 said:
Watching him today in Tour of Poland, he has a lot to learn, finds himself with two teamates on the frront with far too far to go, so finishes nowhere
His positioning needs work, that's for sure.

Lotto-Soudal should make a move if Greipel's speed continues to fade though

I'll be surprised if Ewan is not at Lotto Soudal in 2019.

One factor COULD mitigate against that. Given Keukeleire has now signed with L-S; might it not be the case that, if asked, he gives a full and frank review of Ewan's capacities AND limitations .... which may cool their ardour somewhat

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
42x16ss said:
del1962 said:
Watching him today in Tour of Poland, he has a lot to learn, finds himself with two teamates on the frront with far too far to go, so finishes nowhere

One factor COULD mitigate against that. Given Keukeleire has now signed with L-S; might it not be the case that, if asked, he gives a full and frank review of Ewan's capacities AND limitations .... which may cool their ardour somewhat

Actually it should be of benefit for Ewan - Let's face it LS is a classics and sprinter team - Ewan will be well suited in this tem.

yaco said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:
42x16ss said:
del1962 said:

Actually it should be of benefit for Ewan - Let's face it LS is a classics and sprinter team - Ewan will be well suited in this tem.

That they are .... but he's hardly going to strengthen their classics line-up is he ?? They only soft-pedal the Cipressa and Poggio as meekly as 2017 maybe once in a decade .... so he's got a long wait between drinks at MSR !! Other than Euro-Eyes, what other one dayers ..... lets face it, watching him on cobbles this year was like watching an old Benny Hill skit !

Maybe he CAN replace Greipel .... but not sure they're not getting a down-grade as regards likely returns for labour/resources that will be expended .... but that's their call to make

TRENDING THREADS