• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Chicken says his "future is at the Tour de France"

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ClassicomanoLuigi said:
Interview with Michael Rasumussen

http://www.wradio.com.co/noticias/deportes/rasmussen-quotsi-contador-hubiera-sido-danesquot/20160718/nota/3191445.aspx

Agencia EFE : ¿No podía vivir sin el Tour?

Rasmussen: Mi lugar está aquí. En el futuro me gustaría trabajar en el ciclismo, como director. Esto es un paso importante, para que la gente se habitúe a verme en el grupo.

Agencia EFE : "Would it be impossible to live without the Tour de France? "

Rasmussen: "My future place is here. In the future I intend to work in cycling as a directeur. This is an important step, so that everyone will become accustomed to seeing me back in the group."

LOL !

Not sure why LOL?

What did Rasmussen do that is different from Vaughters? Madiot? Vino? etc etc

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
ClassicomanoLuigi said:

http://www.wradio.com.co/noticias/deportes/rasmussen-quotsi-contador-hubiera-sido-danesquot/20160718/nota/3191445.aspx

Rasmussen: Mi lugar está aquí. En el futuro me gustaría trabajar en el ciclismo, como director. Esto es un paso importante, para que la gente se habitúe a verme en el grupo.

Rasmussen: "My future place is here. In the future I intend to work in cycling as a directeur. This is an important step, so that everyone will become accustomed to seeing me back in the group."

LOL !

Not sure why LOL?

Exactly right. If Vaughters etc are allowed to be involved then the Chicken should be too.

I like Chicken. Tells it like it is and is clearly not an idiot when it comes to cycling. Can't single him out for doping considering the state of affairs when he was riding.

Either you allow him to come back into the whole circus or you have to kick out 80% of professional teams' staff, and it doesn't look like anyone is willing make the latter happen.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
if he returns to procycling i hope he burns the place down from the inside.

for the record, i don't understand the thread title.
surely when he says "my place is here" he means procycling in general, not just the TdF?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:

surely when he says "my place is here" he means procycling in general, not just the TdF?

Nah Rasmussen wont.

Only reason he is coming back is for money.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
Benotti69 said:
ClassicomanoLuigi said:

LOL !

Not sure why LOL?

Exactly right. If Vaughters etc are allowed to be involved then the Chicken should be too.
100% right on. Vaughters / Vino etc. Why the free pass to some but others someone will "LOL".

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
His twitter is amazing and he was one of my idols growing up, I like me some Rasmussen
He's the reason why I disliked Contador for years, I was still butthurt about the 2007 TdF.
I have to agree, he isn't worse than all the other former dopers and all the guys who have a long history of being a ds for shady teams and dopers a probably even worse.

Re: Re:

DirtyWorks said:
spalco said:
I like him, but Rasmussen embarrassed the sport of cycling, the UCI and ASO far more than any of the other names mentioned. It would be more like letting Landis or Ricco come back as directeur.

The UCI would welcome Armstrong back in a minute if it weren't for all those pesky facts.

Considering that the UCI help cover up Armstrong positives, receiving 'gifts' along the way, then McQuaid playing stupid when it was time to face the music, I think the UCI would welcome Rupert Murdoch. It really isn't that far fetched. No facts needed.

The Manichean viewpoint in full bloom. No, it's not if you doped, as if it was a minor legal matter in someone's CV. Nor is it some UCI conspiracy. He got kicked out of the Tour kicking and screaming. In the yellow jersey. That makes it really bad, PR wise, for nearly any sponsor. And cycling is a sponsor driven sport.

Vino is just nowhere near as associated with doping, outside hardcore cycling fans. He also found sponsors who can craft a good PR narrative around him to their main stakeholders. He might still have some trouble having a major role going forward if Kazakhstan funding is pulled. Yes, Rasmussen's an entertaining twitter follow. But I doubt that will make him an enticing name that brands will invest in. I don't think associating themselves with him will a value-adding proposition for them.

So yeah, as harsh or unfair as it may seem, it's a bit perplexing that he remains confident that he will ever get to play a major role in the Tour again.

Re:

carton said:
The Manichean viewpoint in full bloom. No, it's not if you doped, as if it was a minor legal matter in someone's CV. Nor is it some UCI conspiracy. He got kicked out of the Tour kicking and screaming. In the yellow jersey. That makes it really bad, PR wise, for nearly any sponsor. And cycling is a sponsor driven sport.

Vino is just nowhere near as associated with doping, outside hardcore cycling fans. He also found sponsors who can craft a good PR narrative around him to their main stakeholders. He might still have some trouble having a major role going forward if Kazakhstan funding is pulled. Yes, Rasmussen's an entertaining twitter follow. But I doubt that will make him an enticing name that brands will invest in. I don't think associating themselves with him will a value-adding proposition for them.

So yeah, as harsh or unfair as it may seem, it's a bit perplexing that he remains confident that he will ever get to play a major role in the Tour again.

Would Contador be welcomed as a director of a team after his racing career is over? He wasn't booted out of the race while in yellow, but like Landis, for example, had a positive doping test, which was officially revealed two months after the race finished, but he did have that tour victory stripped and was suspended afterwards.

Re: Re:

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
sniper said:

Well, in the article, the Chicken is being interviewed by a Spanish media outlet, on the subject of doping, on location at the Tour de France, where Rasmussen has been hanging out and pretending to be a journo.

"Trabajé durante 25 años para ganar el Tour. Tendrán que pasar otros 25 para que eso se me vaya de la cabeza. Pero cada año mejoro."

"I worked for 25 years to win the Tour de France. And it will take another twenty-five years to get it out of my head. But each year, I'm getting better"

So Rasmussen does mean, specifically, he intends to return to Tour de France (as directeur sportif for a future UCI WorldTour team) and he is kinda obsessed with this concept. Not just some role, in some level of pro cycling, somewhere. The Tour.

No, it means he still thinks about what happened after he had already won the race in 2007.

TRENDING THREADS