• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

the christmas thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
07-12-13_christmas-poem2.jpg

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Well it's November 1. The official start of the Christmas season according to North American retailers. I like Christmas but believe that we should be able to dispatch people who mention Christmas before December. They should sells licences and tags valid throughout November.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
For the US newbie, is there anything I need to know about US Christmas traditions? For example:

-Do you have special dishes - brussel sprouts etc - like they have in the UK?
-Do you have traditional activities - getting wasted - like in the UK?
-Do you have compelling arguments in favor or against certain Christmas Tree ornaments?
-Do you have favorite Christmas Classics either music/movies?

_21477BP~Looney-Tunes-Wile-E-Coyote-Posters2.jpg

Bala Verde said:
For the US newbie, is there anything I need to know about US Christmas traditions? For example:

-Do you have special dishes - brussel sprouts etc - like they have in the UK?
-Do you have traditional activities - getting wasted - like in the UK?
-Do you have compelling arguments in favor or against certain Christmas Tree ornaments?
-Do you have favorite Christmas Classics either music/movies?

_21477BP~Looney-Tunes-Wile-E-Coyote-Posters2.jpg

yes to all questions. mostly getting wasted while listening Jingle Bell Rock
and eating brussel sprouts.
all are required to watch "white christmas" "christmas story" and that one with Jimmy Stewart...
lots of cheese and chocolate.
the tree, anything goes. and have fun.
"god bless us everyone"

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
HL2037 said:
Raw eggs in a drink for christmas? That is hardcore!

Edit: But it might be a great recovery drink!

Hey, you're in Denmark... I thought eggnog was Danish. Anyway it's a bit heavy for recovery. Unless you wish to recover from anorexia. Check out the egg/booze/cream/sugar combo:

Eggnog - Æggekop

Serves 4

6 eggs -- separated
6 tablespoons sugar
9 ounces whiskey
2 cups milk
3 ounces rum -- or brandy
1 pint whipping cream
Beat egg yolks and sugar together until light and fluffy. Slowly add the whiskey and mix gently. Add the milk, then the rum (or brandy). Mix lightly. Do not beat or stir.

Whip the cream and fold into mixture.

Beat the egg whites very stiff and fold in. Chill for at least 3 hours. Better still, refrigerate overnight.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
Hey, you're in Denmark... I thought eggnog was Danish. Anyway it's a bit heavy for recovery. Unless you wish to recover from anorexia. Check out the egg/booze/cream/sugar combo:

Eggnog - Æggekop

Serves 4

6 eggs -- separated
6 tablespoons sugar
9 ounces whiskey
2 cups milk
3 ounces rum -- or brandy
1 pint whipping cream
Beat egg yolks and sugar together until light and fluffy. Slowly add the whiskey and mix gently. Add the milk, then the rum (or brandy). Mix lightly. Do not beat or stir.

Whip the cream and fold into mixture.

Beat the egg whites very stiff and fold in. Chill for at least 3 hours. Better still, refrigerate overnight.

Nope, eggnog is not part of Danish christmas traditions. But since it is made up of everything that is fattening and bad for you, I can imagine it tastes good :D

Glögg on the other hand is very common in DK, can't go anywhere in december without being offered glögg and cookies. It's warmed up red wine with raisins and almonds in it.

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
Not sure about the eggnog - just make some custard to pour over some spotted ****, and drink the booze instead :D

I love Christmas, really love it, but I won't start doing anything other than a bit of internet shopping until at least the 15th. Some people start putting up lights and decorations by the end of November, and I just don't get that. Have to have a real tree too, or it just won't smell like Christmas.

As for music, has to be the Phil Spector Christmas album.