• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Climb (Froome's first autobiography)

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I think this deserves its own thread, so it can be easy to follow along without having to keep up with the respective megathreads.

The Climb by Chris Froome - the inspirational memoir from the British winner of the 100th edition of the Tour de France

The Climb tells the extraordinary story of Chris Froome's journey from a young boy in Kenya, riding through townships and past wild animals, and with few opportunities for an aspiring cyclist, to his unforgettable yellow jersey victory in the 2013 Tour de France.

A journey unlike any other in the history of cycling, Froome has crossed continents, overcome the death of his mother and conquered debilitating illness to follow his dreams and represent Team GB and Team Sky. He has experienced soaring triumphs, humbling defeats, a public rivalry with Bradley Wiggins and, most recently, the pressures of Lance Armstrong's legacy.

Extraordinary, revealing and life-affirming, The Climb is a story of determination, hardship and unimaginable success.

Review
I think it's brilliant that we'll go to a Tour de France starting in our home country with the reigning champion . . . The key to (Chris's) success is his mental resilience. He might look like an unlikely strong man at first glance, but I wouldn't let that fool you. Beneath the surface there is a real fighter. He's a tough guy (Sir Dave Brailsford)

Chris Froome is an absolutely phenominal athlete. It blows my mind how incredible his performances have been (Victoria Pendleton)

Even though we don't see each other so much anymore he has lived in my dreams. He (was) wearing the yellow jersey every day and I almost felt I was wearing it myself (David Kinjah, Chris Froome's former cycling mentor and coach, Safari Simbaz)

Just a few years ago we did not have anyone who could podium, but now we have two cyclists who can win the Tour in consecutive years. It is a phenomenal achievement and what Chris has done is phenomenal (Sir Chris Hoy)

sounds great! I hope Hog is ready to sacrifice himself and read this book too, so we can get all the funny quotes.

The Hitch said:
Funny how all the reviews you posted praise not the book, but froome himself.

And then Walsh boasts about how his froome books get positive reactions.

It was beyond my wildest expectations. When I first met him and he could barely ride in a straight line uphill! But after following my instructions he was riding faster than Armstrong! He deserves all the success he achieves. - Geert Leinders.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Funny how all the reviews you posted praise not the book, but froome himself.

And then Walsh boasts about how his froome books get positive reactions.

Hitch, have you even read the book?

Maybe it will be great, and answer all your questions about Froome.

Or maybe not...

thehog said:
It was beyond my wildest expectations. When I first met him and he could barely ride in a straight line uphill! But after following my instructions he was riding faster than Armstrong! He deserves all the success he achieves. - Geert Leinders.

And that is how you do not make a compliment. :eek:

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
Allegedly there's a page in it with Brailsford's famous graph of age vs potential titled "I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles, Dave"

I hope youre serious.. This is the kind of stuff I want to read. Maybe we can also get an in depth interview with Henderson.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
There is going to be a movie made based on the book. Hollywood insiders have said Tom Cruise is being considered for the Froome role due to Cruise's past movies as an example(Thanks to Rich Hall for the material)

Top Gun: Cruise's character is fighter pilot, a pretty good fighter pilot until he has a crisis of confidence and isn't a good fighter pilot until he meets a woman who persuades him he can be a better fighter pilot.

Days of Thunder: Cruise's character is a race car driver, a pretty good race car driver until he has a crisis of confidence and isn't a good race car driver until he meets a woman who persuades him he can be a better race car driver.

and so on and so on..........

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Jerry Maguire: Tom Cruise's character is an athlete agent, a pretty good athlete agent until he has a crisis of confidence and isn't a good athlete agent until he meets a woman (and her young son) who persuades him he can be a better athlete agent. :D

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Great news for this forum, how long did it take for the Gospel of Saint David to be quoted here?

I don't care. I'm buying it. Will be the funniest read in years. I will be posting a live broadcast from my tablet upon its download to my ipad! :rolleyes:

I really hope Walsh can take it further this time around. He has to push himself to new levels or ridiculousness.

If Contador is Barabbarse, Wiggins is Judus?

sgivpw.jpg

13z1uuf.jpg

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
the sceptic said:
I hope youre serious.. This is the kind of stuff I want to read. Maybe we can also get an in depth interview with Henderson.

I don't think this book will be done in that format. If Walsh was doing his own biography and was doing his own research, it would be done that way but this will be your typical ghost writing job through Froome's eyes.

I'm in two mind about reading this while he's still in the middle of his career. I read Cav's first one and Nico Roche's a few years back and I didn't really think they were anything special. I never read Wiggo's and wouldn't but maybe with the exception of David Millar's last one, cycling autobiographies like these aren't exactly ones that appeal to me.

Either way, I don't think it matters one bit what's in the book, people in general around here have made their minds up. I don't think what's in it will have any impact on changing people's opinions.

What the **** is up with all those athletes writing autobiographies before their career is even halfway done, it's ****ing stupid, just making money from dumb fans looking for some inspirational story which is probably only half-true and making yourself look stupid for people who doubted you anyway

TRENDING THREADS