• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Convicts of the Road

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I pasted this piece from this fascinating, longer article at this site
<http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Doping_(sport)>
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Doping_(sport)

The Convicts of the Road

In 1924 the journalist Albert Londres followed the Tour de France for the French newspaper, Le Petit Parisien. At Coutances he heard that the previous year's winner, Henri Pélissier, his brother Francis and a third rider, Maurice Ville, had pulled out after a row with the organiser, Henri Desgrange. Henri explained the problem - whether or not he had the right to take off a jersey - and went on to talk of drugs, reported in Londres' race diary, in which he coined the phrase Les Forçats de la Route (The Convicts of the Road):

"You have no idea what the Tour de France is," Henri said. "It's a Calvary. Worse than that, because the road to the Cross has only 14 stations and ours has 15. We suffer from the start to the end. You want to know how we keep going? Here..." He pulled a phial from his bag. "That's cocaine, for our eyes. This is chloroform, for our gums."

"This," Ville said, emptying his shoulder bag "is liniment to put warmth back into our knees."

"And pills. Do you want to see pills? Have a look, here are the pills." Each pulled out three boxes.

"The truth is," Francis said, "that we keep going on dynamite."

Henri spoke of being as white as shrouds once the dirt of the day had been washed off, then of their bodies being drained by diarrhoea, before continuing:

"At night, in our rooms, we can't sleep. We twitch and dance and jig about as though we were doing St Vitus's Dance..."

"There's less flesh on our bodies than on a skeleton," Francis said.

Francis Pélissier said much later: "Londres was a famous reporter but he didn't know about cycling. We kidded him a bit with our cocaine and our pills. Even so, the Tour de France in 1924 was no picnic.

The acceptance of drug-taking in the Tour de France was so complete by 1930, when the race changed to national teams that were to be paid for by the organisers, that the rule book distributed to riders by the organiser, Henri Desgrange, reminded them that drugs were not among items with which they would be provided.

Up to speed with Benzedrine

Benzedrine is a trade name for amphetamine. The Council of Europe says it first appeared in sport at the Berlin Olympics in 1936. It was produced in 1887 and the derivative, Benzedrine, was isolated in the USA in 1934. Its perceived effects gave it the street name "speed". British troops used 72 million amphetamine tablets in the Second World War and the RAF got through so many that "Methedrine won the Battle of Britain" according to one report. The problem was that amphetamine leads to a lack of judgement and a willingness to take risks, which in sport could lead to better performances but in fighters and bombers led to more crash landings than the RAF could tolerate. The drug was withdrawn but large stocks remained on the black market. Amphetamine was also used legally as an aid to slimming.

Everton have long been one of the top clubs in the English association football league. The club were champions of the 1962-63 season. And it was done, according to a national newspaper investigation, with the help of Benzedrine. Word spread after Everton's win that the drug had been involved. The newspaper investigated, cited where the reporter believed it had come from, and quoted the goalkeeper, Albert Dunlop, as saying:

I cannot remember how they first came to be offered to us. But they were distributed in the dressing rooms. We didn't have to take them but most of the players did. The tablets were mostly white but once or twice they were yellow. They were used through the 1961-62 season and the championship season which followed it. Drug-taking had previously been virtually unnamed in the club. But once it had started we could have as many tablets as we liked. On match days they were handed out to most players as a matter of course. Soon some of the players could not do without the drugs. Now in Professional sports only 34% of the Athletes use Performance enhancing drugs.

The club agreed that drugs had been used but that they "could not possibly have had any harmful effect." Dunlop, however, said he had become an addict.

Benzedrine and its sister drugs were irresistible in other sports. In November 1942, the Italian cyclist Fausto Coppi took "seven packets of amphetamine" to beat the world hour record on the track. In 1960, the Danish rider Knud Enemark Jensen collapsed during the 100km team time trial at the Olympic Games in Rome and died later in hospital. The autopsy showed he had taken amphetamine and another drug, Ronicol, which dilates the blood vessels. The chairman of the Dutch cycling federation, Piet van Dijk, said of Rome that "dope - whole cartloads -[were] used in such royal quantities."

The British professional Jock Andrews used to joke: "You need never go off-course chasing the peloton in a big race - just follow the trail of empty syringes and dope wrappers."

The Dutch cycling team manager Kees Pellenaars told of a rider in his care:

I took him along to a training camp in Spain. The boy changed then into a sort of lion. He raced around as though he was powered by rockets. I went to talk to him. He was really happy he was riding well and he told me to look out for him. I asked if he wasn't perhaps "using something" and he jumped straight up, climbed on a chair and from deep inside a cupboard he pulled out a plastic bag full of pills. I felt my heart skip a beat. I had never seen so many fireworks together. With a soigner we counted the pills: there were 5,000 of them, excluding hormone preparations and sleeping pills. I took them away, to his own relief. I let him keep the hormones and the sleeping pills.

Later he seemed to have taken too many at once and he slept for a couple of days on end. We couldn't wake him up. We took him to hospital and they pumped out his stomach. They tied him to his bed to prevent anything going wrong again. But one way or another he had some stimulant and fancied taking a walk. A nurse came across him in the corridor, walking along with the bed strapped to his back.

Great post. What a culture of drug use. It will take some time to bring it down to a very low level. The mentality of using to 'survive' and not to 'win' will also take a long time to remedy. There will always be cheats but they must remain in the minority. I can not wait to see how the other sports deal with their dirty laundry. Their time will come just as it did to cycling.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
It's worth remembering that the Tour was ridiculously long in its early days, so it was entirely plausible to use something to keep you going, to survive - for example, the 15 stages of the 1924 TdF covered 5,425 kms with no rest day. Compare to the TdF 2008 which covered 3,500 kms in 21 stages with 2 rest days.

I think there has been a culture shift in doping - from doping to survive what was a brutal physical test to doping to win the biggest prize in the sport. After all, 100 metre sprinters use EPO. Of course cyclists have always doped but there's little equivalence between the ad hoc use of this that and the other to keep your eyes open and your legs working and a carefully planned, season long series of blood withdrawls and deposits designed to induce peaks for a limited number of races.

Most of the early days of cycling was often ridden on cobbled, or dirt roads as well. Could you imagine riding 400km for 16 hours over pavé and dirt? And then getting up the next day and doing it again? No wonder guys were drunk part of the time!

Dirt cols were the norm actually through the 1950's. We've all seen the photos and videos of Coppi and Bartoli going over all the dirt passes. The Gavia wasn't actually fully paved until I believe about 1990. Though maybe someone from Italy can verify that. I do know when the group went over it in the 1988 snow storm the narrow 16% section on the front side was dirt where Hampsten attacked.

Found a photo of that section of the Gavia from 1976:

i_gavia_robertson.jpg

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Found a photo of that section of the Gavia from 1976:

i_gavia_robertson.jpg

How many "degrees" would 16% be? Any mathematicians out there? Also, is 16% mean 16 feet rise in 100 feet? What's the difference between percent and grade? How steep can a hill be, theoretically speaking, that a highly skilled hill climbing cyclist scale?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Grade is measured as a percentage and hence it is the same as percent. Mt. Washington gets as steep as 22%. I forget which stage of the Giro it was (I think 2007, but maybe 2008), they were meant to race over a section at 24% on unpaved roads. I remember Simoni scouting this stage on his mountain bike seriously wondering whether he would need a triple to get over the top without walking. However, I think they cancelled this part of the stage due to inclement weather so they never actually raced it. I am no climber, but any 10-12% grades over more than 1 km are quite difficult for me.

Grade is measured in %. A road grade of 100% is 45 degrees and 200% would be 90 degrees or vertical (even Contador would suffer up this grade). That is to say that grade is slope or rise over run. The % grade is calculated by dividing the rise over the run then multiplying by 100. The angle of the 16% grade (0.16 slope) is 9.09 degrees.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Robert Merivel said:
How many "degrees" would 16% be? Any mathematicians out there? Also, is 16% mean 16 feet rise in 100 feet? What's the difference between percent and grade? How steep can a hill be, theoretically speaking, that a highly skilled hill climbing cyclist scale?

Yes, it means 16 feet of climbing in 100 feet. Knowing that a flat road is 0 degrees while a vertical wall in front of you would be 90 degrees, the formula is pretty simply deduced from there.

Can't say for sure what the theoretical limits are.... practically speaking, you rarely see a PT race with 25% plus. Climbs like the Koppenberg, Mt. Washington, etc. all have 22%-plus pitches. I think there's some famous HC in the UK that gets close to 30%. (I think you would call that a "1-in-3", if I'm not mistaken. :) )

TRENDING THREADS