• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Cookson legacy

Letting off Impey then gaining election support from South Africa
Letting off Rogers, gaining supper from Australia for the election
Stripping Menvhov of unimportant race results whilst keeping more important results
Failing to deal with cortisone abuse even when it was highlighted in the CIRC report later to be revealed Sky were abusing cortisone
Ignoring the CIRC report full stop because it spoke to the “skinniness” of riders - Sky mainly
Letting off Wiggins for using TUEs for race performance enhancement
Burying British Cycling bullying, sexism and misappropriated of funds
Supporting Shane Sutton during sexism case, not supporting female cyclists
Refusing to support Jessica Varnish
Ignoring his duties then forcing a small women’s team to change uniform
Letting Froome off with a single person issued TUE
Letting his son preside of the Henao biopassport / altitude natives study, of which a report was never issued
Shut down the Swiss laboratory testing into motor doping, awarded contract (without tender process) to a small startup of four people from Birmingham
Refusing to deal with racism because it was Sky, required journalist to follow up
Refusing to deal with the needle usage at Sky by young riders
Failure to protect young riders at Sky using tramadol and needles
Failing to know when key members of the UCI left their jobs - finance director
Banning a small Italian team for 3 months whilst being too frightened to address Sky drug usage
Awarded World Tour status and extended the Tour de Yorkshire where he has property (whilst living rent free in Switzerland)
Failing to speak and be a leader when it really mattered
One million selfies

Sep 3, 2017
Visit site
is it right that lapparient wants to ban cortiosone , i hope because that drug is the one Froome abuse to become so thin and to train so hard , making your pain disappear

Re:

telencefalus said:
is it right that lapparient wants to ban cortiosone , i hope because that drug is the one Froome abuse to become so thin and to train so hard , making your pain disappear

He does, Cookson had his chance after the CIRC report by he is a weak touch when it comes to Sky and I couldn't see Cookson implementing a rule that Brailsford would then beat him up on. Cookson is scared of Brailsford.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
The Cookson legacy

pharoahcookson.jpg

His legacy will be linked to the crushing dominance of the sky era. Weak leader and poor communicator who missed an opportunity to reform after the CIRC report. He was already compromised from other relationships he had built up prior to his election as president most notably hsi relationship with Brailsford and his son's employment with Team Sky.

If even the chair for culture, media and sport in his own UK parliament is publicly stating that he is unfit for re-election, then that's enough for me. Nobody can be sure of Lappartient's credentials but at this stage anything is better than Cookson and he at least has been visible and communicated his vision to the media which is a lot more than can be said for Cookson whose sole form of communication in moment's of importance appear's to be either complete silence or a pre prepared written press release.

Echoes said:
Am I surprised that killing 1.1 races is not mentioned here?

On the other hand, the Moscon case is mentioned while nobody can know for sure it's a racist issue.

The Moscan case we are all unsure of because the UCI just let investigations drop with no communicator whilst issuing press releases others. The Mencov case being buried in a PDF file being a classic example.

The dropping of 1.1 races should be added, agreed.

thehog said:
Letting off Impey then gaining election support from South Africa
Letting off Rogers, gaining supper from Australia for the election
Stripping Menvhov of unimportant race results whilst keeping more important results
Failing to deal with cortisone abuse even when it was highlighted in the CIRC report later to be revealed Sky were abusing cortisone
Ignoring the CIRC report full stop because it spoke to the “skinniness” of riders - Sky mainly
Letting off Wiggins for using TUEs for race performance enhancement
Burying British Cycling bullying, sexism and misappropriated of funds
Supporting Shane Sutton during sexism case, not supporting female cyclists
Refusing to support Jessica Varnish
Ignoring his duties then forcing a small women’s team to change uniform
Letting Froome off with a single person issued TUE
Letting his son preside of the Henao biopassport / altitude natives study, of which a report was never issued
Shut down the Swiss laboratory testing into motor doping, awarded contract (without tender process) to a small startup of four people from Birmingham
Refusing to deal with racism because it was Sky, required journalist to follow up
Refusing to deal with the needle usage at Sky by young riders
Failure to protect young riders at Sky using tramadol and needles
Failing to know when key members of the UCI left their jobs - finance director
Banning a small Italian team for 3 months whilst being too frightened to address Sky drug usage
Awarded World Tour status and extended the Tour de Yorkshire where he has property (whilst living rent free in Switzerland)
Failing to speak and be a leader when it really mattered
One million selfies
So basically the ideal manifesto for re-election as UCI prez

Re:

heart_attack_man said:
The Qatar debacle?

Edit: World Champs I meant... Though, there's probably some questions for the UCI around whether the rich cycling history of Qatar means that the Tour couldn't pull sponsors... :rolleyes:

True, Cookson kept ignoring the heat issue even when riders were collapsing on the road. Plus the race was dead boring.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brian-cookson-i-dont-want-lance-armstrongs-endorsement/
One source told Cyclingnews that Lappartient and not Cookson will secure the 15 UEC votes and so lay down a corner stone to any successful bid. The UEC federation representatives are expected to mandate their delegates during an exceptional general assembly just as they did in 2013, when they voted 27-10 to back Cookson instead of McQuaid. In March, the UEC voted to choose its 15 delegates. None from Britain were selected, perhaps as a way for the European Federations to protect against any rogue votes in the secret elections in September.

Looking at Cookson's website, he's got pledges from Asian, Pan American. African and Oceania federation members so this election is a real fight.

Re:

markene2 said:
I would rather have McQuaid, even if he did shady **** at least he would at least act as a leader, same with Verbruggen if he was alive.

Have to agree. I didn't like McQuaid a lot but at least he gave an opinion and got involved with matters. Cookson is invisible except for his selfies that pop up when he is jauntiness around the world on the UCIs expense account.

Re:

veganrob said:
I'll bet that if Lappartient is elected the demise of Team Sky fill soon follow.

Couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately, as much as I would like to see Lappartient elected (or much more to the point, Cookson NOT re-elected), I don't see it happening. There are too many people that will lose too much money. The fix is in.

I don't use Twitter any more, so haven't seen Cookson's interactions, but if he's confident, then he would be confident for a reason.

Re: Re:

heart_attack_man said:
veganrob said:
I'll bet that if Lappartient is elected the demise of Team Sky fill soon follow.

Couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately, as much as I would like to see Lappartient elected (or much more to the point, Cookson NOT re-elected), I don't see it happening. There are too many people that will lose too much money. The fix is in.

I don't use Twitter any more, so haven't seen Cookson's interactions, but if he's confident, then he would be confident for a reason.

Cookson is all over Twitter whoring votes of small cycling nations. Selfies and mismatching shoes and tie colours chocies are order of the day.

thehog said:
heart_attack_man said:
veganrob said:

Couldn't agree more.

Cookson is all over Twitter whoring votes of small cycling nations. Selfies and mismatching shoes and tie colours chocies are order of the day.

Welp... He knows - to successfully win you just need votes - there's no pre-requisite which country those votes come from.

plus ça change - This was McQuaid's approach before Cookson rolled around. Cookson took more than McQuaid's laptop after the change - he also took the same approach. Hopefully the same outcome will roll around.

I believe that cycling's trajectory was, in some ways, slightly improving prior to Cookson. I definitely don't believe that now.

What a goose. In the words of Lance - ABC (Anybody but Cookson). [You know things are bad when you can quote that dingleberry and agree with it...]

heart_attack_man said:
thehog said:
heart_attack_man said:
veganrob said:

Couldn't agree more.

Welp... He knows - to successfully win you just need votes - there's no pre-requisite which country those votes come from.

plus ça change - This was McQuaid's approach before Cookson rolled around. Cookson took more than McQuaid's laptop after the change - he also took the same approach. Hopefully the same outcome will roll around.

I believe that cycling's trajectory was, in some ways, slightly improving prior to Cookson. I definitely don't believe that now.

What a goose. In the words of Lance - ABC (Anybody but Cookson). [You know things are bad when you can quote that dingleberry and agree with it...]

Sadly you are right, as the cycling public doesn’t vote, the sitting President can travel the world on the UCI budget and secure votes by investing in small cycling centers.

We can hope for a French Revolution but it’s unkikely.

https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20170310/sport/bajada-elected-for-key-role-in-uec.641988
Malta Cycling Federation secretary Joe Bajada has been elected into a 15-member group which holds the right to vote and represent all 50 Union Européenne de Cyclisme (UEC) member associations at the world cycling federation annual general meeting in Bergen, Norway, in September.

The nomination came during the European governing body for the sport’s congress in Brussels. The meeting was also attended by Malta Cycling Federation president John Zammit.

There were 30 European delegates nominated for the election. Bajada was elected with the ninth-best count of 37 votes, only five less than the candidate topping the ballot.

The others were Daniela Isetti (Italy), Thierry Marechal (Belgium), Umberto Langellotti (Monaco), Alejandro Garcia (Spain), Peter Privara (Slovakia), Slavomir Svaboda (Czech Rep.), Michel Callot (France), Delmino Pereira (Portugal), Romualdas Bakutis (Lithuania), Victoria Lesnikova (Russia), Farhad Aliyev (Azerbaijan), Vladimiros Petsas (Greece), Eduard C. Novak (Romania) and Vitali Zhmako (Belarus).

http://www.cac-africa.com/news/view.php?nid=109
Africa Voting Delegates for UCI Congress in 2017
9 Voting Delegates
1. Mr. Hesham ZIDAN Egypt
2. Mr. Mohammed SAHNOON Ghana
3. Mr. Julius MWANGI Kenya
4. Mr. Yao ALLAH-KOUAME Cote d'Ivoire
5. Mr. Gilchrist ADOLFO Angola
6. Mr. Amadou Hamidou SALLEY Niger
7. Mr. Lahcen BOUTIYEB Morocco
8. Mr. Naoufel MERCHAOUI Tunisia
9. Mr. Michel THIOUB Senegal
5 Substitutes
10. General/ Khalid Bashir KHALID Sudan
11. Mr. Hassan SAMIREH Djibouti
12. Mr. Massari GIANDOMENICO Nigeria
13. Mr. Yasnemanegre SAWADOGO Burkina Faso
14. Mr. Abderrahmane ETHMANE Mauritania
15. Mr. Gebremedin Nigusse GEBRE Ethiopia

http://www.copaci.org/en/content/results-elections-copaci-congress
Congress of the Pan American Cycling Confederation (COPACI)
DELEGATES TO THE CONGRESS OF THE UCI:
1. Jorge Blas Díaz (Dominican Republic)
2. Edgardo Hernández Chagoya (Mexico)
3. Gabriel Ovidio Curuchet (Argentina)
4. Jose Luis Vasconcellos (Brazil)
5. José Manuel Zabala (Venezuela)
6. Derek Bouchard-Hall (United States)
7. Cyril Mangal (Saint Lucia)
8. Horace Burrowes (Guyana)
9. Peter Dunne (Bermuda)

TRENDING THREADS