• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Cookson legacy

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Norwegian to oversee election process.
http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/uci...s-constitution-limits-number-terms-president/
For elective Congresses, an external notary/lawyer, located in the country where the Congress takes place, shall oversee the election process. If this external notary/lawyer observes an irregularity regarding the election, it shall report to the three-member panel of the Ethics Commission present at the UCI Congress who shall determine whether the election shall be cancelled and re-held.

thehog said:
Letting off Impey then gaining election support from South Africa
Letting off Rogers, gaining supper from Australia for the election
Stripping Menvhov of unimportant race results whilst keeping more important results
Failing to deal with cortisone abuse even when it was highlighted in the CIRC report later to be revealed Sky were abusing cortisone
Ignoring the CIRC report full stop because it spoke to the “skinniness” of riders - Sky mainly
Letting off Wiggins for using TUEs for race performance enhancement
Burying British Cycling bullying, sexism and misappropriated of funds
Supporting Shane Sutton during sexism case, not supporting female cyclists
Refusing to support Jessica Varnish
Ignoring his duties then forcing a small women’s team to change uniform
Letting Froome off with a single person issued TUE
Letting his son preside of the Henao biopassport / altitude natives study, of which a report was never issued
Shut down the Swiss laboratory testing into motor doping, awarded contract (without tender process) to a small startup of four people from Birmingham
Refusing to deal with racism because it was Sky, required journalist to follow up
Refusing to deal with the needle usage at Sky by young riders
Failure to protect young riders at Sky using tramadol and needles
Failing to know when key members of the UCI left their jobs - finance director
Banning a small Italian team for 3 months whilst being too frightened to address Sky drug usage
Awarded World Tour status and extended the Tour de Yorkshire where he has property (whilst living rent free in Switzerland)
Failing to speak and be a leader when it really mattered
One million selfies

Don't forget about Nibali and his "overlooking" of his doping and him handing his team another license to race.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Spit in the soup‏ @Spitinthesoup 1:00 PM - 9 Sep 2017

Remember when we thought pro cycling hit rock bottom 4 years ago, after we had to endure McQuaid, Wiggins, Froome and Horner?

Spit in the soup‏ @Spitinthesoup 11m11 minutes ago

How naive we were…

Remember what happened after the Festina affair?
NOTHING

Remember what happened after the Operación Puerto?
NOTHING

Remember what happened after the Armstong scandal?
NOTHING

Remember what happened after the CIRC report?
NOTHING

So why would we believe it’s “much cleaner now”?

While riders produce more watts and climb much faster than in the ‘EPO era’

Watch ICARUS and you know anti-doping tests and the bio passport don’t work.
So why wouldn’t a rider dope?

The UCI explained this week that motors are allowed, but only the new undetectable ones.
So why wouldn’t a rider use a motor?

The Cookson era is the darkest in cycling history.

Pro cycling is rotten to the core.

Some nail on the head tweets from @Spitinthesoup

Pro cycling is rotten to the core.

http://sportmacro.com/2017/07/20/uci-heats-up-as-david-lappartient-attacks-brian-cookson/
July 20, 2017 - Speaking to reporters in London, Lappartient said he had withdrawn his bid to be elected to the French Senate in September and was now focusing all his efforts on the UCI.

The 44-year-old, president of the European cycling confederation and the UCI’s vice-president, said he had been persuaded to run by several national federations who share his frustration with Cookson’s management style.

Having led British Cycling for 17 years, Cookson’s reputation has been dented by months of negative headlines about the Manchester-based governing body and Britain’s most famous cycling outfit, Team Sky.

When asked if Cookson’s domestic difficulties had influenced his decision, Lappartient said no, as he had already seen enough at the UCI to believe a change is needed and had told Cookson he would run last October.

So Lappartient waits until the last minute to announce he's running, despite telling " Cookson he would run last October." And the "several national federations" must have made some promises to get him to run.

Re:

Robert5091 said:
Norwegian to oversee election process.
http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/uci...s-constitution-limits-number-terms-president/
For elective Congresses, an external notary/lawyer, located in the country where the Congress takes place, shall oversee the election process. If this external notary/lawyer observes an irregularity regarding the election, it shall report to the three-member panel of the Ethics Commission present at the UCI Congress who shall determine whether the election shall be cancelled and re-held.

This makes sense of the purging of the Ethics Commission -
https://www.supersport.com/cycling/international/news/140715/UCI_boss_Cookson_under_fire_again
Sources told Reuters that Barth, who left his job in April, felt the independence of the Ethics Commission could not be guaranteed anymore.

Excerpts from the new 2017 edition of Marc Madiot's book "Parlons vélo" ("Let's talk about cycling"). Best book I've ever read from a French former rider, way better than Fignon's.

It's an interview with Mathieu Coureau.

------------------------------

Coureau: If Cookson gets reelected?

Half the French calendar will disappear in the three years to come. For example: late July, the London Surrey Classic is held at the same time as San Sebastian and the Tour of Poland. The bigger teams will go to London. We, in France, have the Polynormande. How do we do? That's it. We are all gonna die. So will the teams because there is no room for anybody.

Coureau: There are no remedies? Have you written to Brian Cookson? Have you initiated proceedings?

We have never had any responses to our requests for an interview about this World Tour calendar reform. We wanted to expose our difficulties. We wanted them to revise their plans. Sponsors like Cofidis, AG2R or La Française des Jeux have injected money into cycling for 20 years or more. I consider they are major actors. They have never been asked their opinion, they have never even been listened to. Nothing. Not even a dialogue. The French problems regard France.

So we attacked them at a legal level, yes, at the League. We wanted meeting minutes. Then actually you noticed that there was no trace. They are deciding with a few of them, according to their own interests. Whether we are losing or winning before the CAS is after all not really a problem. What I want is to get till the end in order for them to understand that it is not because they are the UCI that they may do whatever they want. At least daring to lead an action against them while nobody believed in it, settles things. I am sorry but I have lived more things in cycling than Cookson has. I have brought a budget to a cycling team for 20 years. What has he brought?
He has disappointed me. He is rather friendly and I have nothing against the man but what he is undertaking makes no sense.

I have sixty people to feed at the end of every month. Cookson is not the one to come and tell them "I am sorry but I have no more job for you". I am the one. Some of the guys have a wife, kids and need to work in order to eat. So I am fighting. I might be virulent and aggressive but I am going to keep on. I will not give him any presents. A matter of principles. We are here, we exist and you are going to cope with us even if we are small. I am not completely work, it is not possible.

Coureau: It seems that you are at the same wrath level as after Manolo Saiz' "sh*t Frenchies" in 1998?

Something of the sort, only now I notice that on the international scene, they seem to look at me in a different way. My foreign colleagues are saying "He has got a big mouth but he acts. He dares to. Not us."

Coureau: Some French credibility has been established with the help of your results?

Yes you may say what you want about French cycling but it is standing. Exactly.

Coureau: Cookson is cristallising your disappointment but more globally, you are targeting the Anglo-Saxon model, aren't you?

Yes he and all the guys around him. They are still ruling on the team reform which the "Université des Science et du sport" of Lausanne wanted. That stuff has been prepared for three years and they are still discussing issues such as "Can a doctor also be a trainer?" I raised my voice in meetings with them and said: "Wait a minute, do you want to turn back the clock with doctors such as Ferrari or Conconi? I was there in 1998. All over again?" They are wide off the mark. [...]

Coureau: You only believe in David Lappartient?

I feel like believing in him, yes. First because he is Latin and thereby has a solid culture of this sport, knowledge of its base. He knows what a village race is ["course de village", just another phrase in French as equivalent to the Belgian kermess, like "course de clocher" ("Churchtower Races")], he knows how race organisations work. He is a politician but I think he feels like defending this cycling DNA and if he gets elected in Bergen in September 2017, he will not have any other choice than trying to do something and move the lines. Otherwise I fail to see how we are going to overcome.

Coureau: Has worry gained grounds?

Yes and then 80% of race organisations are the works of associations and voluntary workers. If you do not bear that in mind, you are massively wrong. You are dead. David Lappartient knows about that. The voluntary workers are also ageing.

Coureau: You may be a young President of the Boucles de la Mayenne like Pierrick Guesné and be fed up sometimes ...

Yes it is also an all-French affair. Whatever the sporting event you organise you have an administrative overload. You really need to be motivated to organise, feel like having responsabilities... If there is a crash on your race you have the handcuffs in detention. It is troublesome. Also in this respect people's lives can be made easier.

Coureau: the gap has increased between those voluntary workers like Guy and Jocelyne Leriget in the Mayenne, real mainstay of the same Boucles de la Mayenne and the authorities?

The UCI's disdain is complete. These are rednecks who were unable to evolve, that is what they are going to tell you up there if ever you are telling them about those admirable voluntary workers. It is a bit like in the world of labour, this cult of companies against the craftsmen's world. I am sorry but we need craftsmen. The little ones have a right to live. The problem is that there will always be people like Patrick Lefevere to tell you in a meeting:
Marc, in cycling just like in life, the big ones are made to eat the small ones
Cookson is on the same track. He's planting flags on sand and I am not talking about geography, in places where people have money and who are pleased to see a bike race at a given moment. It cannot persist in time. It is a bad start. The day they have no more races, half as many teams and riders, what will they do? They will invent a new policy in order to restart the machine? Probably. The old farmer in me is still present: the land of the farm is handed over from father to son and I hope I can raise my son enough in order for him not to get rid of it. For what it's worth cycling is like a land that you hand over. I reached the final part of my career and I need to hand something over. If I am not fighting for it I am neither honest towards myself nor towards the people who had worked before me. People like Colonel Richard Marillier or Cyrille Guimard [Marillier was the French national coach from 1969 to 1981, a former resistant during WWII, he was a major influence to Madiot before the latter turned pro. He passed away in January this year] and many more. Towards all those who have built up this story with its positive and negative aspects, the wounds, the plagues, all. I am not alone. I am sure that Jean-René Bernaudeau is on the same track even if we have never talked about it, so is Vincent Lavenu, David Lappartient, Christian Prudhomme... We have a common DNA.

Oooh! Not many shopping days left to Christmas! :D

http://www.uci.ch/news/article/the-uci-online-store-embrace-the-rainbow/

183696_8-LG-HD.jpg

Election will be held at he Bergan World Championships on 21st September 2017.

Lappartient should secure the European vote, I'm not sure he'll get Africa and Asia or Oceania. Could be four more years of the limp President in Cookson.

Article 4 of the UCI's Constitution sets out who the UCI's members are, and it is not any of the individual cyclists whose interests the UCI claims to represent: “The members of the UCI shall be the national federations accepted by the Congress as being the representative organisation for the sport of cycling in general in the country of that national federation.”

Rather than simply giving each of those national federations votes based on the size of their membership, the UCI uses an electoral college system in which the interests of the 185 member federations are represented by five continental confederations.

Those five continental confederations, and the number of votes they can cast, are as follows:

Union Européenne de Cyclisme, currently headed by David Lappartient, has 15 votes (up from 14 at the last election)
Confederation Africaine de Cyclisme, currently headed by Mohamed Wagih Azzam, has nine votes (up from seven votes four years ago)
Asian Cycling Confederation, currently headed by Hee Wook Cho, has nine votes (the same as 2013)
Confederacion Panamericana de Ciclismo, currently headed by José Manuel Pelaez, has nine votes (the same as 2013)
Oceanian Cycling Confederation, currently headed by Tracey Gaudry, has three votes (the same as 2013)
How many votes does it take to win?

A majority of the votes cast – more than 50 per cent – wins the election. If all of the available 45 votes are cast, that's 23 votes. If there's more than two candidates and no one secures the necessary number of votes in the first round of voting then the top two go into a second round. If that ends up tied then “the decision will be made by toss of a coin.”

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Depends if Lappartient has backing of ASO and 'gifts' promised to federations that beat Cookson's.

Going to be hard to out Cookson, but not impossible.

David Lappartient has said that he will implement a corticosteroid and tramadol ban if appointed as President of the International Cycling Union (UCI) when its electoral congress takes place on 21 September in Bergen, Norway. Lappartient would also implement Article 9 of the Movement for a Credible Cycling’s (MPCC) Regulations, which require teams to suspend cyclists with low cortisol levels for a minimum eight day period, into UCI Regulations.

And Sky we are looking at you;

All glucocorticoids are prohibited under section S9 of WADA’s Prohibited List ‘when administered by oral, intravenous, intramuscular, or rectal routes’. However, they are permitted in competition (IC) via other routes of administration, and out of competition (OOC). “The hope was that the detection method for routes of administration would be developed”, WADA’s Director General Olivier Niggli told the Tackling Doping in Sport conference in March. “That hasn’t happened. Only those who are being honest about what they have been doing get caught. Otherwise you always say it was a cream, and you get away with it.”

http://www.sportsintegrityinitiative.com/uci-presidential-candidate-calls-corticosteroid-tramadol-ban/

One would think that Oceania would look seriously at a change. Look at the way the Australians and to a less extent the Kiwis beat the Brits for three years then get thumped by them at every Olympics. Both countries have to be suspicious of Cookson playing his part in this such as the lack of serious checking for motors.

People here may say it's only track I speak of but Australia and NZ live by track cycling. Track brings all of their funding from their govts and both have had pay cuts after the Rio Olympics.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Craigee said:
One would think that Oceania would look seriously at a change. Look at the way the Australians and to a less extent the Kiwis beat the Brits for three years then get thumped by them at every Olympics. Both countries have to be suspicious of Cookson playing his part in this such as the lack of serious checking for motors.

People here may say it's only track I speak of but Australia and NZ live by track cycling. Track brings all of their funding from their govts and both have had pay cuts after the Rio Olympics.

People are selfish and greedy. Those that cast the votes get 'persuaded' to vote for whoever has the biggest gifts.

Re:

Craigee said:

Yeah - The funding cuts Jones has passed onto the road and women's part of the program, and possibly MTB and BMX - Track is fairly much untouched.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
yaco said:
Robert5091 said:

Ultimately it's WADA and their band of scientific experts who decide what substances make the prohibited list - Sporting associations lobby but only have a certain amount of influence.

What, UCI cant pick subtances to ban and have to wait for WADA? Dont think so.

It is called passing the blame.

It's WADA who sets the parameters for the anti-doping code and agencies then administer the code - Stakeholders lobby WADA who may or may not listen - Sporting bodies can go over and above the code to prohibit substances or even methods of administration such as needles - You can continue defending WADA who are one of the most useless organisations in existence

TRENDING THREADS