• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Cookson legacy

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Election is hotting up....

In an email sent by McQuaid on September 6 and obtained by CyclingTips, the former UCI president wrote, “Having been president for eight years I know what is involved and how a president should act and lead his sport. Unfortunately I haven’t seen any of this from Brian this past four years, indeed he has abdicated his responsibilities to his GM Martin Gibbs. They have a big communications machine behind them which gives the impression that everything is rosy but I am aware behind the scenes it is not. Brian hasn’t made it to any Board such as IOC [International Olympic Committee], ASOIF [Association of Summer Olympic International Federations], SportAccord, or even WADA [World Anti-Doping Agency], and so UCI has little clout in the larger international sporting world. It’s the same with cycling stakeholders — teams, riders, organisers, etc — they have no respect for UCI under Brian, which is why they made no progress on the UCI WorldTour. I could give many more examples but I won’t bore you with them. Suffice to say that I do think David Lappartient could do a much better job and be a real leader of UCI.”

McQuaid confirmed he’d sent the email, but denied that he’d done so for an honorary president position.

“My opinion on this presidential election is no secret,” McQuaid told CyclingTips. “I’ve given several interviews critical of Brian Cookson and his presidency. But to say that I was promised a senior position is absolute rubbish. I’ve received no assurances from David, and he doesn’t need me to win the UCI election. He’s well capable of winning on his own.”

May 26, 2010
Visit site
yaco said:
Benotti69 said:
yaco said:
Robert5091 said:

Ultimately it's WADA and their band of scientific experts who decide what substances make the prohibited list - Sporting associations lobby but only have a certain amount of influence.

What, UCI cant pick subtances to ban and have to wait for WADA? Dont think so.

It is called passing the blame.

It's WADA who sets the parameters for the anti-doping code and agencies then administer the code - Stakeholders lobby WADA who may or may not listen - Sporting bodies can go over and above the code to prohibit substances or even methods of administration such as needles - You can continue defending WADA who are one of the most useless organisations in existence

I dont defend WADA.

WADA are mere PR and nothing more. A smokescreen and not a very good one at that.

WADA set parameters by banning PEDs many years behind the current PEDs.

"Sporting bodies can go over and above the code to prohibit substances or even methods of administration such as needles"

UCI can ban tramadol without WADA.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
McQuaid has called Cookson "a fraud", and has publicly backed Lappartient.

You know cycling's future is still *** if Cookson gets re-elected or Lappartient who has McQuaids backing!!!

Re:

Benotti69 said:

You know cycling's future is still **** if Cookson gets re-elected or Lappartient who has McQuaids backing!!!
So if McQuaid wanted to nix Lappartient and get Cookson re-elected, for you all he would need to do would be to publicly support Lappartient?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

fmk_RoI said:
Benotti69 said:

You know cycling's future is still **** if Cookson gets re-elected or Lappartient who has McQuaids backing!!!
So if McQuaid wanted to nix Lappartient and get Cookson re-elected, for you all he would need to do would be to publicly support Lappartient?

If only McQuaid had that level of intelligence....... :D

Let the mud throwing begin! :D

BC using the old "fear tactic" of a vote for my opponent means back to the bad old days. Interesting that BC is the one going out to the media. Is this David Alexander at Calacus "genius" idea? McQuaid said back in July that he backs David Lappartient.

Re:

Benotti69 said:

Even if Lappartient is elected (which I highly doubt...), countdown to a French-backed national team in 3...2...1... It's what the cool kids do.

heart_attack_man said:
Benotti69 said:

Even if Lappartient is elected (which I highly doubt...), countdown to a French-backed national team in 3...2...1... It's what the cool kids do.

Unknown Frenchman who used to zig zag up hills to become the next ITT hero and climber? Who will it be :eek:

thehog said:
heart_attack_man said:
Benotti69 said:

Unknown Frenchman who used to zig zag up hills to become the next ITT hero and climber? Who will it be :eek:

He will have grown up in Algeria, Morocco, Mali or one of the former French colonies to French parents.

thehog said:
heart_attack_man said:
Benotti69 said:

Pierre-Luc Perichon.

https://twitter.com/LeTour/status/886608956302479360

ruamruam said:
thehog said:
heart_attack_man said:
Benotti69 said:

He will have grown up in Algeria, Morocco, Mali or one of the former French colonies to French parents.

Add in 'will be asthmatic & have intermittent thyroid issues, & an undiagnosed chronic illness' & you've got your next French GT winner

keeponrollin said:
ruamruam said:
thehog said:
heart_attack_man said:
Benotti69 said:

Add in 'will be asthmatic & have intermittent thyroid issues, & an undiagnosed chronic illness' & you've got your next French GT winner

i wonder would David Walsh be interested in writing a book about him?

Bronstein said:
thehog said:
heart_attack_man said:
Benotti69 said:

Pierre-Luc Perichon.

https://twitter.com/LeTour/status/886608956302479360

I think we have a winner! Soon to be 4-times Tour de France winner!

And one final selfie from Brian to add to the 456,234 other ones... look forward to four more years of selfies :lol:

25u38uq.jpg

yaco said:
Craigee said:
One would think that Oceania would look seriously at a change. Look at the way the Australians and to a less extent the Kiwis beat the Brits for three years then get thumped by them at every Olympics. Both countries have to be suspicious of Cookson playing his part in this such as the lack of serious checking for motors.

People here may say it's only track I speak of but Australia and NZ live by track cycling. Track brings all of their funding from their govts and both have had pay cuts after the Rio Olympics.

Yeah - The funding cuts Jones has passed onto the road and women's part of the program, and possibly MTB and BMX - Track is fairly much untouched.

Peter King did something similar with BC, focus the funding where the most medals are. The road only came into it when the academy started and Cav turned out to be the best sprinter of all time, Sky came on board after Beijing and the rest is history.

MatParker117 said:
yaco said:
Craigee said:
One would think that Oceania would look seriously at a change. Look at the way the Australians and to a less extent the Kiwis beat the Brits for three years then get thumped by them at every Olympics. Both countries have to be suspicious of Cookson playing his part in this such as the lack of serious checking for motors.

People here may say it's only track I speak of but Australia and NZ live by track cycling. Track brings all of their funding from their govts and both have had pay cuts after the Rio Olympics.

Yeah - The funding cuts Jones has passed onto the road and women's part of the program, and possibly MTB and BMX - Track is fairly much untouched.

Peter King did something similar with BC, focus the funding where the most medals are. The road only came into it when the academy started and Cav turned out to be the best sprinter of all time, Sky came on board after Beijing and the rest is history.

NZ cycling was cut $500,000 per year after Rio. They haven't divulged where they would spend less but then again it's normal for NZ cycling to not divulge their spending.

Still had GB not dominated like they did in Rio the two main Oceania countries could've had funding increases or stay the same.

thehog said:
Craigee said:
What is the reasoning for that selfie? Wow

Does here need to be a reason for for Cookie? :confused:

Cookie is clearly cocky. I remember being told by riders during the tracks worlds in Paris two years ago that they lost out on track warm up time on one of the days so that Cookson could ride the track all by himself. They said he loved the attention.

Craigee said:
MatParker117 said:
yaco said:
Craigee said:

NZ cycling was cut $500,000 per year after Rio. They haven't divulged where they would spend less but then again it's normal for NZ cycling to not divulge their spending.

Still had GB not dominated like they did in Rio the two main Oceania countries could've had funding increases or stay the same.

The bigger picture is Cycling Australia should govern for all kinds of cyclists from professional to amateur and recreational cyclists - The new head honcho Jones wants to devote more resources to track cycling which means less resources to the other disciplines - You only had to look back to the RR at the 2016 Olympic Games, when CA filled the last spot with a MTB who doubled up and rode all of 20kms, so they could have an extra rider for the track - CA has cut their small for funding for the Orica women's team and the Mitchelton Scott men's CT squad, forcing Gerry Ryan to cover the funding shortfall - And the women's development squad which races for periods in Europe may lose their funding for 2018 - Under Jones' watch track is number one, two and three.

Cookson caught lying again.... :cool:

Lappartient, also at the IOC Session as part of the Paris 2024 delegation, claimed the emails from McQuaid were a personal act on his part.

"From information I gathered, it has been reported that Mr McQuaid has sent an email to a couple of delegates, whom he knows, by telling them his personal opinion about Brian Cookson and therefore calling on them to support my candidature,” he told the BBC.

"This was a personal act of McQuaid and not on my demand.

"By saying ‘only they know if…’ seems to me, once again, Brian Cookson is certain of nothing.

"Making false comments like these is unsportsmanlike behaviour.

"To set the records straight, during the Elite European Road Championships in France last year Brian Cookson is referring to, McQuaid called and asked if he could stop by since he was nearby.

"I immediately informed Brian Cookson, then McQuaid was of course given access to see the race as he asked to."

According to CyclingTips, McQuaid has claimed suggestions of such a deal was "absolute rubbish" but admitted he had sent an email to UCI voting delegates in support of Lappartient.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/coo...ning-uci-presidential-election/#disqus_thread
In 2013 when Cookson defeated Pat McQuaid after a continuous election campaign, he had the backing of all the European delegates, who were mandated to vote for him. This time the European Cycling Union member Federations will only finalise their vote at special meeting in Bergen before Thursday election. It seems they are divided on their preferred candidate. Lappartient is the president of the UEC.

So this is why Cookson is confident of winning the vote. Sounds like 30 delegates have made promises of their vote. What Cookson has promised though in return ...and what good the promises are, we will see on 21st.

Edit - Cookson's accusations about McQuaid, seem to be a response/distraction to Lappartient going out two days earlier about banning corticosteroids and tramadol in line with MPCC's suggestions.

yaco said:
Craigee said:
MatParker117 said:
yaco said:
Craigee said:

The bigger picture is Cycling Australia should govern for all kinds of cyclists from professional to amateur and recreational cyclists - The new head honcho Jones wants to devote more resources to track cycling which means less resources to the other disciplines - You only had to look back to the RR at the 2016 Olympic Games, when CA filled the last spot with a MTB who doubled up and rode all of 20kms, so they could have an extra rider for the track - CA has cut their small for funding for the Orica women's team and the Mitchelton Scott men's CT squad, forcing Gerry Ryan to cover the funding shortfall - And the women's development squad which races for periods in Europe may lose their funding for 2018 - Under Jones' watch track is number one, two and three.

NZ put a track sprinter in the road race for a few kms which is even more of a farce to get an extra track rider in.