• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The day you removed your yellow bracelet

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
cineteq said:
The cost of burying your head in the sand.

"He came with his dreams, his trepidation and a yellow wristband, for he had been part of the Livestrong development team set up by Lance Armstrong. At the introductory meeting, Bradley Wiggins spoke candidly. 'You can start by taking that fukcing thing off.' Dombrowski removed the wristband. For ever."

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto...e?shareToken=ccea51abc589211e28ad23ea10f8b076

Either an interesting insight to BW's true feelings, or a beautifully concocted PR piece for Wiggo.

YMMV

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Never understood the yellow bracelet. You have to wear one the be anti - cancer? Strange world. Why not give it away then, that piece of crap costprice is 2 cents.

Hey, I never really understood what 'cancer awareness' was anyway, to be honest. We're pretty f***ing aware of what cancer is, most of us. Ir's usually killed a few of our loved ones, frankly. It's beating the ****** by research that interests me.

Awareness of rare or underreported diseases, or underreported cures, sure. But "hey, dyou know there's this thing called cancer?"

Still, I suppose that's my foible.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I prefer O'Grady's message over that of Liestrong:

HTFU.jpg

If only Jens would make one that says "SHUT UP LEGS!". :D

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Yeah, I hear Bernie Madoff was big in the charity scene also. Cannot fault him for that. :rolleyes:

The opposite of charity is justice......

I've been waiting for you to point out the irony from Atlas Shrugged. never-mind a main character is named Taggart

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
David Suro said:
Lance may have done a lot of things wrong, but that doesn't matter much right now. He has retired and his fate is in the hands of a federal prosecutor. He is probably already guilty in the court of public opinion. We will see what the legal system decides.

That said:

Even if he has profitted greatly from his foundation, he has still given more money to cancer research than I ever will. I find it hard to fault a person who gives more to a charity than I do.

The way he has been branded as a living folk hero was brilliant. He and his PR team did a great job of making LiveStrong a household word. Like it or not, their plan worked.

Having spoken with many cancer survivors in my practice, they almost always mention the inspiration of Armstrong. I have cycling posters on the wall, so that probably sparks their memory. Any person who gives hope and inspiration to many other people is doing something positive, even if there are negative aspects to how he achieved his fame and fortune.

I am neither a hater nor a fan. Frankly, I enjoy the Tour more without him, since the outcome is not so predictable. But, the guy deserves some amount of credit, even if it only for his ability to market himself effectively.

And, I never had a bracelet, never wore a yellow AIDS ribbon, never rode the MS 150, never did the Walk for Life, andnever wore a pink breast cancer ribbon.

Have you ever considered the carefully labeled subtitle of the foundation? "Cancer awareness" is not necessarily cancer research

Never needed a yellow band to let others know cancer was bad