• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Devil

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
53X11 mentioned on another thread that he had his picture taken with Didi the Devil at the world's in 2003. I did too and it was one of countless highlights from that week(I have almost no sense of smell). There is a great story about his arrival that week at Toronto airport that maybe some of you didnt hear, I only saw it in the Hamilton newspaper. I had always assumed because he's at races all over the world that he was pretty wealthy, but that isnt the case. The logo on his outfit is from a german travel agency who pay for his plane tickets but thats it, he's pretty much broke otherwise. So he shows up at customs in Toronto wearing his devil costume and carrying his trident. He had a carry-on bag containing a cheap pup tent and a bucket of red paint. As an english friend of mine would say, the customs guys were absolutely gobsmacked! They just didnt know what they had on there hands. Remember, this was only a few months after the Iraq war kicked off, but I guess they figured Osama isnt going to travel in a smelly devil outfit. Anyway, some US team officials were on the same flight and vouched for him so he got through. Once he got to Hamilton, having only 125 euros to his name, he managed to find some German expats living in Hamilton who let him pitch his tent in their backyard. I'm assuming they didnt offer him the use of their shower. As for that smell, I remember a rider once was asked about the "essence of Didi" and replied "why do you think the riders all swing over to the other side of the road when we see him?"

A

Anonymous

hmm.. i used to like the devil but im starting to get a bit suspicious...

nearly 60 now, running up a mountain quicker than ever.. we rewatched yesterdays giro stage and he managed 50yards in just over 8 seconds, thats a full 2 seconds quicker than he managed a section of ventoux in 1994 when he was in his early fourties that had a similar gradient..

then compare these two photos...
2008>
didi_senft_10sfw.jpg

2006>
4rrgih.jpg

a clear difference in his jumping height of about 17%...

now i dont wanna jump to assumptions, but nearly a 20% climbing improvement, and a 17% spring increase, all at nearly 60 years old.. something strange is going on.. ?

think about it.. he is well known so probably has access to some of the teams, the main race organisers are keen to have him around as he brings much needed publicity to there events.. does lots of charity work, has a beautiful wife.. when was the last time the french knocked on his door and requested a sample of hair from his beard.. eh.... well... ?

have you all forgotten "thecyclemaker" on fuentes code list. .

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Marinoni - glad you were able to see him as well. I tend to miss him when I'm in Europe as I believe he has a philosophy of staying on the penultimate climb of a stage rather than the final (at least in past years he has). Thus I have been unable to catch his "essence" except in Hamilton.

I have the pic on my hard drive - how the hell do I get it pasted in here??

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
hmm.. i used to like the devil but im starting to get a bit suspicious...

nearly 60 now, running up a mountain quicker than ever.. we rewatched yesterdays giro stage and he managed 50yards in just over 8 seconds, thats a full 2 seconds quicker than he managed a section of ventoux in 1994 when he was in his early fourties that had a similar gradient..

then compare these two photos...
2008>
didi_senft_10sfw.jpg

2006>
4rrgih.jpg

a clear difference in his jumping height of about 17%...

now i dont wanna jump to assumptions, but nearly a 20% climbing improvement, and a 17% spring increase, all at nearly 60 years old.. something strange is going on.. ?

think about it.. he is well known so probably has access to some of the teams, the main race organisers are keen to have him around as he brings much needed publicity to there events.. does lots of charity work, has a beautiful wife.. when was the last time the french knocked on his door and requested a sample of hair from his beard.. eh.... well... ?

have you all forgotten "thecyclemaker" on fuentes code list. .

No doubt he is on the gear!

I love the bloke, early on he would always appear on THE hardest climb, right where the pain was at its peak. One of sports original characters and known by hundreds of millions of people the world over.

I like him even more because he hasnt cashed in on his fame to my knowledge. Maybe if he had of been an "Angel" appearing over the shoulder of a rider on a hard climb, he might have been more marketable?

Great story Marinoni! great video, hadnt seen that before, the Devil was rapt and Cuapio is now in my top ten riders of all time who can take a joke.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:
Reminds me of this one too. Flecha steals the American flag from the antler guy in the Vuelta, gives the announcers a good laugh.
http://fragg.me/video/tour-spain-juan-antonio-flecha-american-flag

That is a great clip! Score one for Flecha for taking the "reigns" from that yahoo with the horns. I'd like to see this more often. The guy's reaction to having his flag stolen is priceless . . . absolutely priceless!

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I met the Devil outside Supermacs on O'Connell street in Dublin before the first stage of the 1998 Tour. He was really quiet but let us take a few pics with him. Legend. He only goes mad when the wheels start turning.

TRENDING THREADS