• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The effect of reduced teams on the Giro

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
rlntlssly said:
wwabbit said:
Anyone know when was the last tine a GT was won by a GC man in a sprinter-centric team?

It didn't come off in the end, but Dumoulin came pretty close at the 2015 Vuelta with a team designed for Degenkolb.

I'd completely forgotten Degenkolb even did the 2015 Vuelta... :lol:
Remember the teams moment of ecstacy when Degenkolb won the final stage.

After the Tour: 9 men teams definitely need to return imo.

- Sky as strong as ever. No difference at all.
- GC is most important so teams will just more likely choose a domestique over a sprinter (Ewan) or stage hunter.
- Break aways at an all-time low in the first week. Not saying it's a clear consequence of reduced teams, but it sure doesn't help. Less riders means less tendency to 'waste' energy in a (doomed) break.
- Sprinters going out early. One dom less to help them.

What do you guys think?

Re:

Flamin said:
After the Tour: 9 men teams definitely need to return imo.

- Sky as strong as ever. No difference at all.
- GC is most important so teams will just more likely choose a domestique over a sprinter (Ewan) or stage hunter.
- Break aways at an all-time low in the first week. Not saying it's a clear consequence of reduced teams, but it sure doesn't help. Less riders means less tendency to 'waste' energy in a (doomed) break.
- Sprinters going out early. One dom less to help them.

What do you guys think?
I think we are at a point where people just claim everything is due to reduced team sizes. Personally I didn't have the feeling it had an effect on anything. Movistar decided to have a team with 3 leaders despite 8 men team and with Lotto NL a team with one of the strongest sprinters also had two gc leaders. The whole Ewan story that you used as an example was an effect of what people expected from 8 men teams not what really were the consequences of the new rule. Sky was pretty much as dominant as last year but last year sky was riding without their best domestique pretty much from the first mountain stage onwards.

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
As for the GC is concerned, honestly I don't think it matters. 9 man teams, 8 man teams, 2 man teams, the strongest rider wins. I do however think that smaller teamsizes do help the breakaway.

I feel like we would have a lot more breakaway success in GTs though. Towards the end of the race smaller teams should help the breakaway. I feel like LLS, Casar, Voeckler, Fedrigo, and Chavenel would have won a lot more stages with 8 man teams though.