• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The fascination with young riders

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey Gang

Is it just me or is there an absolute fascination with young riders, youth teams, junior development teams etc. Why? I accept that it is a good way to encourage younger riders into the sport. But what happens after that?

I see so many good older riders that have toiled away for many years fighting for sponsorship. Wouldn't older riders be a more prudent investment than some impetuous flash in the pan? So when you hit your late 30's are you simply meant to disappear? Are you no longer deemed fit & healthy?

I'm alone in thinking this?

WN

A

Anonymous

Possibly because the old guard are linked with doping, the omerta, and being self obsessed and self serving, while some hold a vain hope that cyclings bright young stars may offer something different..

however misguided that hope may be, we all live in hope..

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey DS

Possibly because the old guard are linked with doping, the omerta, and being self obsessed and self serving, while some hold a vain hope that cyclings bright young stars may offer something different..

I have often thought this too. I think riders now weight up winning with means by which they achieve it. Being labeled a drug cheat basically destroys a career.

I still think older riders still have lots to offer. Look at all the Australian riders that falling into that bracket.

O'Grady
Robbie
Roberts
Wlison
Cooke

I have been really inspired by the domestic circuit in Melbourne. Teams like O2 Networks, Specialized , 2XU/Aussie Crate seem to have found a balance between older experience riders & younger riders. It is all important to the mix.

WhiteNite1971 said:
So when you hit your late 30's are you simply meant to disappear? Are you no longer deemed fit & healthy?

No, you just go ride for Radioshack.

--

WhiteNite1971 said:
Is it just me or is there an absolute fascination with young riders...?

I've never had 'an absolute fascination' with young men in spandex and I do find that rather odd. If I was their parents, I would be concerned.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Possibly the same reason we support NCAA/college sports or get excited each year by the impending draft or why Senior teams have feeder and junior programs.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Junior development is a farm where seeds are planted. Most farmers anticipate the prospects of the harvest. Ever say to yourself "If I knew then what I know now?" By imparting professional knowledge and experiences to the juniors is how our sport progresses and improves.
It will suck if 15 years down the line we still have the omerta mentality. Keep the kids clean!

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

Couldn't possibly agree more.
Having dispensed alcoholic beverages for a number of years obviously didn't mean that you were hooked up to the tap permanently. Your perception is razor sharp as ever.