• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The final piece of the puzzle

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
This is extraordinary news. I'm feeling so depressed and queasy about it, I think I'll just have to keep posting.

Keeping up the good fight.

Not sure there's a future for cycling, after all.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
ASO is not the only big continental player believed to be interested in the Tour of Britain, as Italian rival RCS Sport is another option: its marquee race, the Giro d'Italia, is also visiting the UK next year with the three-week race starting in Belfast.
So will RCS also cover up tests? In fact are we saying that anyone that considers buying the TOB is going to do something suspect?

And the Tour of Britain being sold by British Cycling. Who were you expecting, German Cycling?

I do feel sorry for SweetSpot who have taken an unfashionable race and slowly made it into a race that can attract big names. And this is how they get repaid.

Don't be late Pedro said:
I do feel sorry for SweetSpot who have taken an unfashionable race and slowly made it into a race that can attract big names. And this is how they get repaid.

Obviously they did it wrong. They need to get with the times. The proper way to run a stage race is to have a chosen team present its riders' blood values in a meeting before the race.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Obviously they did it wrong. They need to get with the times. The proper way to run a stage race is to have a chosen team present its riders blood values in a meeting before the race.
How do you know they are not doing that already?

So will RCS also cover up tests?

Done aaaaand done. Zomnegan promised testing samples for CERA some years ago now. Mysteriously, they never got done.

In fact are we saying that anyone that considers buying the TOB is going to do something suspect?

Well, yes they are. Hein and Pat are "growing" cycling. Like they grew cycling by picking a British TdF winner, then gold medal performances at the London(!) games in 2012. ASO always gets their cut.

Absolutely. I thought World Cycling Productions would win the bid, but ASO is logical. It's either ASO or RCS producing races in the "new" Pro cycling. You might want to review Makarov's recent revelation he had to pay a private company for the use of the title "Tour of Russia." Hein at least is very likely behind the un-named private company.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
DirtyWorks said:
Absolutely. I thought World Cycling Productions would win the bid, but ASO is logical. It's either ASO or RCS producing races in the "new" Pro cycling.

To be honest I was of the exact same opinion - WCP to get the gig.

ASO bidding for the race for me is out of left field. It the UK market really that big? Who else is going to watch that race?

Dear Wiggo said:

ASO bidding for the race for me is out of left field. It the UK market really that big? Who else is going to watch that race?

It's not about the UK market. ASO gets paid for their broadcast/production services and probably can get it into international Eurosport programming easily given the quality of the broadcast production is known as excellent. No one needs to be by the roadside. As long as they tune in. That's all. Viewers and more viewers is "growing" cycling to Pat and Hein.

Tour of California was an ASO-produced event.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:

its a little cleaner than two riders in the final climb deciding who wins and who pays whom.

this way, we have the winner before the race starts.
7 times, in a row peoples

TRENDING THREADS