• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Gianni Moscon Bandwagon Jumping Thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
I don't know honestly. If you have an issue in a critical part of the race, sometimes it could be allowed to be towed by the car for a couple of meters, like if you get a little push. That clearly happened in part covered by the footage of today.

At least I have difficulties calling this type of stuff "cheating!" immediately.

I don't care if the peloton tolerates motorpacing and sticky bottles after a crash or whatever. It shouldn't be allowed at all, if you ask me.

But regardless, this wasn't a standard sticky bottle incident, this was too egregious to ignore, and Moscon should have been DQ'ed right there when it happened.

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Gigs_98 said:
Ruby United said:
Moscon had crashed. In these situations the Jury should be more lenient.
Cavendish writes that these type of things are accepted by the peleton in crashing or similar circumstances.
So you think Nibali also shouldn't have been penalized for his sticky bottle in the vuelta 2015?
Exactly. Both are ridiculous

Billie said:
Ruby United said:
Cavendish writes that these type of things are accepted by the peleton in crashing or similar circumstances.

Henao was involved in the same crash. They were chasing together.

Suddenly Moscon flies away... :eek:

Sky riders should have exemptions from these tedious rules, don't you all understand?!

Moscon: "The video is pretty clear, I can’t deny it. But I don’t think it changes my ability as a rider and I’ll prove it in the future,”

He's right it doesn't change a bit his ability as a rider, although it does change it as a blatant cheater :cool:

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Ruby United said:
The problem with this idea is it creates the possibility for rider abuse. Would we see riders fake a "crash" and then get a free tow back to the peloton? Maybe.

Comms allowing teams to help riders get back on after a crash was much more accepted in the past, but seems to be being clamped down more and more by UCI. Generally, you're only disadvantaged by having a crash in terms of having to ultimately expend more energy to get back to the same race position in the bunch you were in at the time of the crash anyway. I can't think of any times riders crashed on purpose from near the front of the peloton thinking it would gain an advantage. At the speeds those guys were going at the time, even with the tow, you've still got to fight through 50 riders again on your own, just to get to the front which is hardly an advantage, when you were already near the front anyway when you crashed? 7 seconds pull is still offset greatly by the extra energy to get back to where you were. I guess you could argue, it reduced the amount of extra effort required simply slipstreaming the convoy bumper to bumper, but an advantage? I don't think there was advantage to crashing and taking a new bike.

Re:

hrotha said:
I don't care if the peloton tolerates motorpacing and sticky bottles after a crash or whatever. It shouldn't be allowed at all, if you ask me.

But regardless, this wasn't a standard sticky bottle incident, this was too egregious to ignore, and Moscon should have been DQ'ed right there when it happened.

DQ was correct, however unless the commissionaires are present when it happens then you can't give an immediate DQ, you have to weigh up the TV evidence which takes time

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
The guy comes across as an absolute ****heel. Besides the racism, this cheater is pretty low in my estimation (yeah, yeah, I know he won't lose any sleep over that). I used to be somewhat of a Nibali fan until that Vuelta "sticky", and will never cheer him on again. Some cycling fans remember these things, while others will give it a pass with 'but everyone does it, soooooo...'.

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
He comes across as one of the best anti-heroes cycling could possibly wish for ;) There's definitely some charm in that, I think.

Aside from ability, he seems to be morally vacant which I (and maybe others) find a bit repulsive. At least Vino had the wherewithal to be evil in a creative way, whereas Moscon just comes across as an unintelligent bigoted thug. And I'm not trying to demean Vino with the comparison.

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
cineteq said:
Moscon: "The video is pretty clear, I can’t deny it. But I don’t think it changes my ability as a rider and I’ll prove it in the future,”

He's right it doesn't change a bit his ability as a rider, although it does change it as a blatant cheater :cool:

Too bad there was no such video of Demare's Cipressa ascent at San Remo last year.

Re: Re:

GraftPunk said:
Netserk said:
He comes across as one of the best anti-heroes cycling could possibly wish for ;) There's definitely some charm in that, I think.

Aside from ability, he seems to be morally vacant which I (and maybe others) find a bit repulsive. At least Vino had the wherewithal to be evil in a creative way, whereas Moscon just comes across as an unintelligent bigoted thug. And I'm not trying to demean Vino with the comparison.
So admirable.

Re: Re:

GraftPunk said:
Netserk said:

He's got a lot of growing up to do, but he's still young and naive. I have hope that he will eventually learn to grow up and have the attitude to go with his incredible potential.

trucido said:
cineteq said:

Too bad there was no such video of Demare's Cipressa ascent at San Remo last year.

agree, it would be fun to compare the two sticky bottles

TRENDING THREADS