• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

the giant has returned!!

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
The usual Ryo sauce of exaggeration kind of ruins the whole positive message. I know this guy almost died and it's really great to see him back, but more talent than Thomas Dekker and Gesink combined? Seriously.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
boomcie said:
The usual Ryo sauce of exaggeration kind of ruins the whole positive message. I know this guy almost died and it's really great to see him back, but more talent than Thomas Dekker and Gesink combined? Seriously.

Reus has always been a bit special.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
boomcie said:

he had better results than both of them not to mention he started cycling at age 17 so yes he is more talented. we will see what happens now

@parullo he's an allrounder, used to be very good timetrialers, good climber and fast. also explosive guy, the total package

Parrulo said:
what kind of rider is he?
ardennes type, who on good days can also climb a fair bit and tt a fair bit. But mostly ardennes type.

Won about everything hilly as u23, but his pro career has been cursed with illness, near-death and finally mono (pfeiffer) which made him decide to quit for a year... You would say one of the most unlucky (nothing to do with skill) u23 to become pro since a long time. Although we've been reminded lately it can always turn worse...
He's still only 26, I hope he can rebuild his career with no pressure. Find the fun back and then grow. Shame of all the 'waisted' years, but definately not over for him yet

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
he had better results than both of them not to mention he started cycling at age 17 so yes he is more talented. we will see what happens now

@parullo he's an allrounder, used to be very good timetrialers, good climber and fast. also explosive guy, the total package

better results =/= more talented, especially at espoirs level. Otherwise TJVG would be consider more talented than Contador...

Dekker_Tifosi said:
ardennes type, who on good days can also climb a fair bit and tt a fair bit. But mostly ardennes type.

Won about everything hilly as u23, but his pro career has been cursed with illness, near-death and finally mono (pfeiffer) which made him decide to quit for a year... You would say one of the most unlucky (nothing to do with skill) u23 to become pro since a long time. Although we've been reminded lately it can always turn worse...
He's still only 26, I hope he can rebuild his career with no pressure. Find the fun back and then grow. Shame of all the 'waisted' years, but definately not over for him yet

ty D_T. i hope he does well. the peloton needs more guys like that. :)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not calling Sep Vanmarcke the fusion of Tom Boonen and Gilbert like you guys always do with young Dutch talents though. If there's one thing that annoys me it's cyclists who have yet to proof them self getting overhyped. It's not just with Dutch cyclists though, it also annoyed me with Taylor Phinney.

Thank god you guys are not Spanish or we wouldn't stop hearing of all these young talents that will overtake the cycling world. If Yaroslav Popovych Merckx has taught us anything it's not to overhype U23 results so much.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
@pickle

Suggesting we cant use u23 results as a ref. point is stupid. Sure it doesn't always work out, but it is still an indication of talent.

----

Reus was such a talent, shame what has happend the past few years.

Hopefully he can get his carrer back on track.

Is he riding the roads also?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
@pickle

Suggesting we cant use u23 results as a ref. point is stupid. Sure it doesn't always work out, but it is still an indication of talent.

----

Reus was such a talent, shame what has happend the past few years.

Hopefully he can get his carrer back on track.

Is he riding the roads also?

Go ahead and use it but calling him bigger than 2 proven talents is too much for me. I'm going to take the bait then. It rarely works out with big boys in the U23 rank by the way. People like Cancellara, Eisel and Pozzato for example just skipped the u23 category.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I'm not calling Sep Vanmarcke the fusion of Tom Boonen and Gilbert like you guys always do with young Dutch talents though. If there's one thing that annoys me it's cyclists who have yet to proof them self getting overhyped. It's not just with Dutch cyclists though, it also annoyed me with Taylor Phinney.

Thank god you guys are not Spanish or we wouldn't stop hearing of all these young talents that will overtake the cycling world. If Yaroslav Popovych Merckx has taught us anything it's not to overhype U23 results so much.

oh look it's the:
party-pooper-745697.jpg

calimero.jpg

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Go ahead and use it but calling him bigger than 2 proven talents is too much for me. I'm going to take the bait then. It rarely works out with big boys in the U23 rank by the way. People like Cancellara, Eisel and Pozzato for example just skipped the u23 category.

what lies :lolcry: they all rode in mapei u23. they didn;'t turn pro until around 22/21

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
what lies :lolcry: they all rode in mapei u23. they didn;'t turn pro until around 22/21

Quote Johan Museeuw: "When Pozzato came to mapei we both rode the Tour of Luxemburg, Pozzato told me he'd never done a race longer than 80 km's before this year." ToL is a prorace...

Ryo Hazuki said:
yeah but they rode in an u23 team. are you saying the rabo ct guys are pro's because they ride in pro races like volta algarve?
But I think technically they were part of the Mapei pro team, which had like a gazillion riders. Back then the separation between pro and u23 was much clearer, you didn't have 20-year-olds in conti teams riding 2.2 and 2.1 races. In a way, Mapei pioneered that approach.