• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Golf Thread

2017 Masters (golf)

I expect this will be CN's quietest thread ever - not because nobody watches golf (though, that is a distinct possibility), but because, well, it's golf.

Think nowadays the most controversy can be caused by fans who send in videos of potentially illegal plays that the officials had missed, and then the player is penalized well after the fact. (Something like that happened in the LPGA recently - fan sends in video, player is penalized four strokes in the final round the following day. Not sure how I feel about that... what if the tournament had already been finished? Would she had been penalized and potentially stripped of a title if she had won the tournament? It looked like she was on her way, and then bam! Sorry about that, but you get a pretty heavy penalty from yesterday's round. So there goes your title.)

Anyhoo, don't think Jordan Spieth can repeat and win the ugly green jacket again, but I like the kid, so I'll be rooting for him.

And now shhhhhh... I must practice my golf clap.

Usually used to have a bit of money on 2/3 guys just to keep an interest. Have got into the game a lot more over the past couple of years, started playing last year and now joined a club.

Hope Rory can win this, I think Fowler and Rose could go well too at bigger prices, some bookies here are paying 8 places for each-way bets.

Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Pricey_sky said:
Usually used to have a bit of money on 2/3 guys just to keep an interest. Have got into the game a lot more over the past couple of years, started playing last year and now joined a club.

Hope Rory can win this...
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... you had just jinxed your boy Rory! (He'll probably shank it on the 14th.)

Wouldn't rule it out, if both Rory and Speith can have meltdowns in recent years it can happen to anyone.

Pricey_sky said:
Wouldn't rule it out, if both Rory and Speith can have meltdowns in recent years it can happen to anyone.
Absolutely. I don't usually pay too much attention until the cut, sometimes a lot of the big names get to go home after just two days.

And now a most bizarre turn of events - evidently this year's tournament favorite Dustin Johnson has tumbled down some stairs at his house (or somebody's house) and hurt his back. Apparently he'll still play, his tee time is at 11:03am.

That's just really odd... he probably won't be 100%.

Guess the wind really messed some players up yesterday and maybe Hoffman only got lucky. (Spieth really mucked it up in the first round, today's he's looking a bit better. Well, so far.)

Fred Couples is making a respectable showing, so there's that.

Anyone know if a player gets a new jacket for each of his Masters' wins? Or do they just recycle his first one? Moreover, does he get a bigger locker if he wins more than one jacket? (It's my understanding the fugly green jacket is not to leave Augusta's premises, so the winners get their own locker to keep their jackets in. Or something like that.)

Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Guess the wind really messed some players up yesterday and maybe Hoffman only got lucky. (Spieth really mucked it up in the first round, today's he's looking a bit better. Well, so far.)

Fred Couples is making a respectable showing, so there's that.

Anyone know if a player gets a new jacket for each of his Masters' wins? Or do they just recycle his first one? Moreover, does he get a bigger locker if he wins more than one jacket? (It's my understanding the fugly green jacket is not to leave Augusta's premises, so the winners get their own locker to keep their jackets in. Or something like that.)

even golfers gain and drops fat so I guess they deliver a new jacket each time....

Not sure about the locker.

Dazed and Confused said:
even golfers gain and drops fat so I guess they deliver a new jacket each time....

Not sure about the locker.
The suspense was just killing me, so I wiki'd it, it says...

The tournament has a number of traditions. Since 1949, a green jacket has been awarded to the champion, who must return it to the clubhouse one year after his victory, although it remains his personal property and is stored with other champions' jackets in a specially designated cloakroom. In most instances, only a first-time and currently reigning champion may remove his jacket from the club grounds. A golfer who wins the event multiple times uses the same green jacket awarded upon his initial win (unless he needs to be re-fitted with a new jacket).

Hmmm, cloakroom... that sounds kind of mysterious. Makes me think of some kind of a frat boy hazing ritual. But you were right about the number of jackets a repeat winner receives if he alters his physique too drastically.

On a different note - I'm catching up with some of the highlights from earlier today... geeze, looks like last year's champ Danny Willet wasn't having a good time on the first hole (quadruple bogey), he's projected to go home. But so are other prior champs like Bubba Watson and Zach Johnson - I tell ya, you just never know with this game.

Tricycle Rider said:
Dazed and Confused said:
Couples has some class, but is nowhere near Player.
I started following (major tournament) pro golf only about ten years ago. What kind of personalities did pro golf have prior to that?

What made Player so special for you?

Come on, TR. Player was very special, besides I have some connections to RSA.
Loved Daly too, Jimenez, Clark and Cabrera were people I followed.

Dazed and Confused said:
Tricycle Rider said:
Dazed and Confused said:
Couples has some class, but is nowhere near Player.
I started following (major tournament) pro golf only about ten years ago. What kind of personalities did pro golf have prior to that?

What made Player so special for you?

Come on, TR. Player was very special, besides I have some connections to RSA.
Loved Daly too, Jimenez, Clark and Cabrera were people I followed.
Hon, I have no way of knowing this unless you tell me. (Like I had mentioned upthread, I only started watching pro golf about ten years ago. So by then I had missed all of Tiger's best of years, amongst many other players'.)

No harm intended on my part, I would hope you know that.

Re: 2017 Masters (golf)

Tricycle Rider said:
Anyhoo, don't think Jordan Spieth can repeat and win the ugly green jacket again, but I like the kid, so I'll be rooting for him.
Don't look now, but after a bumpy start, he's two strokes back heading into the final round.

Golf bored me as a kid, but both my dad and uncle played it, and were good at it before I was born. They liked to relax in the recliner and taught me to admire the skill and beauty in it.

I have a lot of respect for Gary Player for two reasons. One is he spoke out against apartheid when a lot of people were just mum about it, and he could have been too coming from a sport dominated by white, often wealthy people. Also, he was the first major golfer to speak out about PED use in golf, to lift that ugly (if obvious) veil, and push for testing, when no one wanted to hear that, and some called him a fool. That took guts.

The only thing that made Tiger interesting was his pumped up, joyful reactions when making a good shot, and the color of his skin in a white man's sport was refreshing. Other than that, the guy sold his soul to Nike, and was a fraud of a human. It bothers me that we still get articles here in the US all the time about him, even though he hasn't played well in years, and his story long ago became irrelevant.

From Player, back in 1987:
"In South Africa, we have a terrible system in apartheid... It's almost a cancerous disease... Yes, the system is terrible, but not the people. We have great people in South Africa--black, white, Indian and Chinese. We have an assortment of people, wonderful people."

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-04-24/sports/sp-499_1_gary-player

And from 2007, on PED use in golf:

http://www.golf.com/ap-news/gary-player-alleges-drug-use-golf

I don't want to get too far into the Clinic, thus no quotes here, but here's an article showing Player was right.

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2015/08/05/world-anti-doping-agency-testing-golf-performance-enhancing-drugs-steroids-12319/

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Ha? Gary Player was known for being racist only changing when the regime was collapsing, or at least what I got from wiki.

''In 1966, he espoused openly racist views and support for the apartheid policies of Hendrik Verwoerd in his book "Grand Slam Golf"

Anyway Sergion finally won <3 Never been happier for golf player winning

TRENDING THREADS