The Gorka is the new Izagirre thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Should be a good race between Astana and Mitchelton-Scott teams. Interestingly in a race in Spain Movistar is sending literally no one who has a any real chance at winning the race. Not even sure they are sending anyone who has any realistic shot at even winning a stage.
 
Re:

yaco said:
The 16 km ITT will put the MS guys out of contention, though they have options for a stage victory.
MS are you referring to Movistar or Mitchelton-Scott? Mitchelton-Scott has the Yates twins, so I think they'll be in it for the GC. Movistar's line up for this race is: Barbero, Carretero, Roelandts, Rojas, Valls, Vernoa, and Prades. With the riders Astana and Mitchelton-Scott are sending I'm not sure they have anyone for stages either. Where as the Izagirre brothers and Yates twins should be favorites for the overall.
 
Will Gorka get his own chances in the Ardennes? I've always seen him more of a classics rider than his brother (who is the better GC bet).

Along with Lutsenko, he is Astana's best bet for podium in the hilly classics. And in Fleche Wallone, he is their best chance.
 
Re:

Koronin said:
Should be a good race between Astana and Mitchelton-Scott teams. Interestingly in a race in Spain Movistar is sending literally no one who has a any real chance at winning the race. Not even sure they are sending anyone who has any realistic shot at even winning a stage.
Landa I think was supposed to race this but hes injured. Carapaz, Anacona, Quintana, Soler just finished Colombia.
Valverde just finished a lot of racing in the last few weeks.

Good opportunity for others to ride for themselves!
 
Re: Re:

Salvarani said:
Koronin said:
Should be a good race between Astana and Mitchelton-Scott teams. Interestingly in a race in Spain Movistar is sending literally no one who has a any real chance at winning the race. Not even sure they are sending anyone who has any realistic shot at even winning a stage.
Landa I think was supposed to race this but hes injured. Carapaz, Anacona, Quintana, Soler just finished Colombia.
Valverde just finished a lot of racing in the last few weeks.

Good opportunity for others to ride for themselves!
Valverde will defend his UAE Tour (or, maybe you can't say that as it's technically a new race, but you get the point) so it's not like he's resting.
 
Re: Re:

Salvarani said:
Koronin said:
Should be a good race between Astana and Mitchelton-Scott teams. Interestingly in a race in Spain Movistar is sending literally no one who has a any real chance at winning the race. Not even sure they are sending anyone who has any realistic shot at even winning a stage.
Landa I think was supposed to race this but hes injured. Carapaz, Anacona, Quintana, Soler just finished Colombia.
Valverde just finished a lot of racing in the last few weeks.

Good opportunity for others to ride for themselves!

Valverde is headed to UAE so he's not exactly taking any time off before his next race. From UAE it's off to Strade Bianche and Milan-San Remo, Then Catalonia, Dwars, Flanders, the Ardennes and the Giro. Then there are questions as to if he's racing in June or not other than the National Championship, which he is racing.

Yes, Landa was supposed to be racing Andalucia, but obviously can't due to injury.
 
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
yaco said:
The 16 km ITT will put the MS guys out of contention, though they have options for a stage victory.
MS are you referring to Movistar or Mitchelton-Scott? Mitchelton-Scott has the Yates twins, so I think they'll be in it for the GC. Movistar's line up for this race is: Barbero, Carretero, Roelandts, Rojas, Valls, Vernoa, and Prades. With the riders Astana and Mitchelton-Scott are sending I'm not sure they have anyone for stages either. Where as the Izagirre brothers and Yates twins should be favorites for the overall.
Mitchelton Scott - Their line is unbalanced with 5 climbers, one sprinter and one neo-pro - It's a training race for them.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY