• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Looks very much like QuickStep are becoming a GC team. Classics will probably become secondary, weird as that sounds.

They can be both I think. This weekend maybe we'll see a glimpse if Evenepoel is as much of a classics threat as a stage racer and regardless he's clearly not a 2-races-a-year kind of guy. There should be plenty of space on the roster for other interests.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Mitchelton wanted to put more focus on the Australian market, and then allows Berwick to sign with Israel. Weird, sort of. The options aren't unlimited, and I can only think of Drizzners and Plapp as alternatives.

Team believe Berwick is too limited as a rider in which I am in agreement - That's not to say Berwick will not make it at WT level - Getting Aussie riders is rhetoric from Gerry Ryan for the Aussie media - My understanding is Drizners is signed,sealed and delivered while i believe Plapp is focusing on the track - As I posted earlier in this thread this could be a barren transfer period for Mitchelton because of the ownership instability.

• Wow
His prospects at Movistar are being a workhorse at the GTs, forget about stage hunting and ride the classics unassisted. He might become the next Erviti.

Lol, to help whom?

This is one of the best cobbles prospects in the current young generation and even Movistar have realised that those races have merits. Also, I doubt Cortina would trade the oil money from Bahrain to become a helper at Movistar...

Reactions: Koronin and yaco
Quick-Step have Sean Quinn on as a stagiaire for the remainder of the season. He's been a regular invitee on their trainings camps in Calpe, and I would say it's likely they'll give him a full time contract, as he would also be another piece to the Evenepoel project. Perhaps more so than Almeida and Bagioli, since those two could, in the future, want to try for their own. Especially Bagio has a solid reputation, so I could see another team throwing him chances in a few years. To get back to Quinn, he is a solid climber who came to the front in the Girobio last year. How harder the race became, the better he did. Ultimately finishing 6th. I was looking forward to his autumn campaign, but he had a mono, so that went out of the window.

They can be both I think. This weekend maybe we'll see a glimpse if Evenepoel is as much of a classics threat as a stage racer and regardless he's clearly not a 2-races-a-year kind of guy. There should be plenty of space on the roster for other interests.

Also, isn't Lombardia pretty much the GC riders' classic? If you look at the winners since 2010 only Gilbert and Zaugg has never finished a GT in the top-10, and... well... Gilbert is Gilbert and 2011 was the year of weird Monument-winners (the only exception being aforementioned Gilbert, who that year was very much Gilbering.)

Lol, to help whom?

This is one of the best cobbles prospects in the current young generation and even Movistar have realised that those races have merits. Also, I doubt Cortina would trade the oil money from Bahrain to become a helper at Movistar...
I am aware of his potential on the cobbles, and having him for those races is a huge improvement on what they've been sending in recent years. The only riders with some valuable experience in those races they have now are Roelandts and Erviti, both +35 years old. Other than those, the only rouleurs in their roster with the engine to offer real help are Oliveira and Soler. But I don't see Movistar sending Soler to the cobbles systematically, and Soler going there in a helper role.
I'd like to be proven wrong, but unless Movistar surprise with one or two more hirings in that direction or find some hidden talent in their most recent young acquisitions, Cortina will be mostly on his own in the cobbled races.

I am aware of his potential on the cobbles, and having him for those races is a huge improvement on what they've been sending in recent years. The only riders with some valuable experience in those races they have now are Roelandts and Erviti, both +35 years old. Other than those, the only rouleurs in their roster with the engine to offer real help are Oliveira and Soler. But I don't see Movistar sending Soler to the cobbles systematically, and Soler going there in a helper role.
I'd like to be proven wrong, but unless Movistar surprise with one or two more hirings in that direction or find some hidden talent in their most recent young acquisitions, Cortina will be mostly on his own in the cobbled races.

You're forgetting about a few of the youngsters they signed for this season. They are actually putting together what could be a semi decent classics team. Also Cortina has a decent sprint on him. He should be able to win field sprints at least in some of the Spanish races if nothing else.

A few of us were just a few days ago discussing whether Movistar was actually trying to build a classics squad or if they just said that due to some of their signings last off season.

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco