• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The healthy look of your average day GT rider

3d989a4653e19d587608dc685a8c4199_view.jpg

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing most of you guys are just armchair sports fans and never actually spend much time with actual athletes? Maybe this is why the skinny-ness seems to shock you so much. I know lots of serious (and semi serious) cyclists and triathletes and most of them are thin, very thin when compared to your 'average' person in the street (in the UK the 'average' person is about 15KGs overweight). Obviously there are exceptions but most endurance guys who still manage to maintain a heavier/bigger type build tend to be like that genetically i.e. the type of guy who puts of muscle quick with just about any kind of activity but also puts on weight quickly when not training.

Some photos and the angle/light they are taken at make it appear worse. Read Tyler's book - pro cycling has never been 'healthy'. Maybe GH, testosterone etc may decrease muscle loss and help certain riders maintain mass?

TRENDING THREADS