• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Is Marc Soler the Next Great Spanish Climber Thread

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Red Rick said:
Honestly if you don't let Soler lead the Giro then there's no reason to not send him to the Tour. Landa, Quintana and Valverde are all going Tour/Vuelta so it's not like Soler can go for a GC there either. He's one of the best allrounders they have, and Movistar need their allrounders come July.
Exactly, thats also my thought process. Soler can in theory set the 3 captains up in the mountains while still being more than just a climber, he has that versatility to him.

Re:

Koronin said:
According to a report, Soler is going to be leading the team for Duaphine, but not going to the Tour. Most likely going to the Vuelta. It's also saying that Valverde, Landa, and Quintana are all going to Tour de Swiss.
Yes. I would have preferred the Tour for Soler since El Tridente (lol) also are planning to race the Vuelta, but whatever. He can now chase the victory in Dauphine instead.

I listened to a Danish podcast yesterday where they talked about Soler. A guy said Soler always had a reputation for being extremely strong in various terrain and being a true attacker, but that he often would find himself too exhausted because he didn't ride smartly. Valverde pointed out years ago if he learned to read a race tactically, he would be a great rider. Looks like thats where we are heading, he definitely has the psychical tools, thats pretty obvious despite his disappointing MTF.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Koronin said:
According to a report, Soler is going to be leading the team for Duaphine, but not going to the Tour. Most likely going to the Vuelta. It's also saying that Valverde, Landa, and Quintana are all going to Tour de Swiss.
Yes. I would have preferred the Tour for Soler since El Tridente (lol) also are planning to race the Vuelta, but whatever. He can now chase the victory in Dauphine instead.

I listened to a Danish podcast yesterday where they talked about Soler. A guy said Soler always had a reputation for being extremely strong in various terrain and being a true attacker, but that he often would find himself too exhausted because he didn't ride smartly. Valverde pointed out years ago if he learned to read a race tactically, he would be a great rider. Looks like thats where we are heading, he definitely has the psychical tools, thats pretty obvious despite his disappointing MTF.

I think it's Movistar still being maybe too careful with where they send Soler. Although with only having raced one Grand Tour just not sure if he's ready for the Tour yet.

Interesting as I read something recently (wish I remember where) that Valverde said something along those same lines about Soler. That he's racing racing just based on his power, but needs to learn tactics and how to read a race. You aren't going to win many races with just power. Then something along the lines of I should know, I've tried. Then said something about learning tactics and how to read a race doesn't mean you won't make mistakes, but it means you'll have a much better chance of winning.
Hopefully he'll try to teach Soler how to read a race and using tactics and that Marc will learn from him. Soler's got not only one of the best as his leader to learn from, but someone whose already tried to win the way he is.

Since it appears they are sending Soler to the Duaphine as race leader, it does seem they also think he's ready for more responsibility within the team and maybe even a greater leadership role. Huge opportunity for him.

Eyeballs Out said:
Oliver said:
No Ardennes, no Romandië. Giro instead? Any news anyone?
"With Paris-Roubaix now done and dusted, Soler has clocked up 30 race days already this season. He will now take a break and points to the Criterium du Dauphine, where he will be on more familiar territory, as his next goal."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/soler-shines-in-paris-roubaix-debut/
I have missed that article, thank you very much. I initially thought he was supposed to ride Liege and Romandie, but turns out neither was in his schedule anyways. As much as I would like him to compete in Romandie, its good to take a break now as there really wasn't a place for that recovery when he also is supposed to ride Dauphine as leader and later the Vuelta where he is expected to peak again. I assume, maybe they will throw a curveball and bring him to TdF, but I still dont think so

So all Movistar aces waiting for June now, Dauphine and Suisse. Will be some long months results-wise, I think.

Valv.Piti said:
Eyeballs Out said:
Oliver said:
No Ardennes, no Romandië. Giro instead? Any news anyone?
"With Paris-Roubaix now done and dusted, Soler has clocked up 30 race days already this season. He will now take a break and points to the Criterium du Dauphine, where he will be on more familiar territory, as his next goal."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/soler-shines-in-paris-roubaix-debut/
I have missed that article, thank you very much. I initially thought he was supposed to ride Liege and Romandie, but turns out neither was in his schedule anyways. As much as I would like him to compete in Romandie, its good to take a break now as there really wasn't a place for that recovery when he also is supposed to ride Dauphine as leader and later the Vuelta where he is expected to peak again. I assume, maybe they will throw a curveball and bring him to TdF, but I still dont think so

So all Movistar aces waiting for June now, Dauphine and Suisse. Will be some long months results-wise, I think.

I missed that as well. I knew he wasn't on the Liege roster, but thought he was going to either Romandie or the Giro. They had better not be taking him to the Tour. The Vuelta however, he needs to be at. Then I'm sure he's headed to the Worlds.

Jspear said:
Koronin said:
According to him, he's not only not ready for the Tour, he doesn't think he close to being ready for the Tour.

If you can win PN, then you're ready to go to the Tour as a helper. Many have gone with lesser (or none) accomplishments. I wonder what he could have meant by that...

He's made that comment a couple of times, both before and after PN. It's at least partly because his attempt at la Vuelta last year (which was his first ever GT) was according to him and complete and total disaster. He had no clue how to race one and is considered to be their future GC rider. He had no guidance and decided to try to race it for GC and ended up having a horrible day early on and having no idea why. Remember they sent a team of kids to that race and they were all told race it however you want. We have no expectations. He said he wants to go back to the Vuelta or go to the Giro with either Amdor or Valverde or both of them. He also said something about going to the Tour right now without more GT experience would be another disaster. Personally, I don't think he's mentally ready for the Tour. On the other hand, after PN he was just handed the Duaphine.

Valv.Piti said:
Blanco said:
El Pisti post something about him went skiing without team permission, so the team removed him from the Romandie roster. Anybody know something about this?
Nope, not heard about it.

Mayomaniac wrote me that rumours are Soler may be riding the Giro this year. Please let that happen!

I hope so. I think he's earned that. Some of my friends in Spain are hearing rumors that Soler IS going to the Giro and Amador isn't. Soler, Rosen and Betancur as their top riders.

Valv.Piti said:
Blanco said:
El Pisti post something about him went skiing without team permission, so the team removed him from the Romandie roster. Anybody know something about this?
Nope, not heard about it.

Mayomaniac wrote me that rumours are Soler may be riding the Giro this year. Please let that happen!

I heard he was skiing with his girl, to save his relationship.

It makes sense to give Soler co-leadership at the Giro d'Italia after he has won Paris-Nice this spring. Especially since Betancur isn't a certain performer at all. In fact his last notable general classification result dates back 5 years. But wouldn't it have been more sufficient to schedule Soler for the Tour of Romandie to give him some race rhythm prior to the grande partenza? Although apparently that was the original plan since Soler took a short break after Paris-Roubaix and originally was listed for Romandie, until the skiing incident. What does that change regarding his Giro participation and shape has yet to be seen.

(Thanks for answering even twice Koronin.)

Re:

Koronin said:

Google translate says:
There is only one Indurain

In the multitudinous presentation of the new season of Movistar, Marc Soler (Villanueva and Geltrú, 1993) tries to go unnoticed and stay in the background after the wake of the rainbow of Alejandro Valverde and the stripes of Nairo Quintana and Mikel Landa. He stands out as a time trialist and climber and physically looks like Miguel Indurain. It is, together with Enric Mas, the most promising Spanish cyclist. The Tour de France, a round in which he debuted this year, is passionate and will not rest until his name is inscribed on the golden pages. Now he wants to continue learning and help Landa and Nairo.

What are the objectives for the new season?

Similar to those of last year. At the beginning I will focus on Paris-Nice and the Volta a Catalunya, then I will go to the Tour de France to try to help my teammates, in this case Mikel Landa and Nairo Quintana, to fight for the victory. This campaign will start competing a little later.

Then he rules out participating in the Vuelta a España.
In theory I will only do one of the three big rounds. Let's hope it's the Tour and that everything goes well.

What plans do you have for the next Tour?
What I already said before, help the companions.

Do you see yourself with options to get some stage in the next edition of the French round?
Well, the truth is that you always dream of winning in the Tour de France. It is an illusion, but now the first thing is to work for the benefit of the team. My mission is to be in top shape to help the most.

This year he made his debut in the Tour with great performance and starring in several escapades. How was that experience?
The Tour is a race that does not look like any other. I hallucinated and I liked it a lot.

In the near future is it possible to win the general classification of the Tour?
Good good. At the moment we will be working little by little so that in the future we can be in the front positions or fight for victory. But now let's go I'm going little by little, going from year to year and improving. I have to keep learning.

You said that he is not the best time trialist or the best climber, but he is good at everything.

Yes, I defend myself well in all areas. And that, at the moment, helps me to go well and get good results. It is increasingly difficult to win, what I intend to do is help the leaders and finish when I play.

Some have already compared him to Miguel Indurain, it is understandable that this places a great burden on you. Does that comparison weigh you or bother you?

The truth is that I do not pay much attention to that kind of thing, I only dedicate myself to giving the pedals and doing my thing. I'm Marc Soler and I'll always try to do the best I can. Miguel Indurain there has always been one and there will always be one.

But would you also like to mark a time?

I want to be calm and I do not worry about matching anyone's results, because in the end that is impossible.

Do you have leader wood? Would you like to be a team leader?
Well, why not? You always like to be a boss, but now that's complicated, because there are great runners here and at the end everyone is fighting for their position. At this moment I have to help and if I ever have the opportunity to be a leader I will try to take advantage of the occasion.

He is not uncomfortable being on a team with three leaders ahead.
It does not bother me, because that takes away a lot of pressure. I'm calm and I have no problems.

But, in addition, the three row bosses have very different characters.
Yes, but that is not complicated. Alejandro is more open. From door to door Landa and Nairo seem more serious, but when they have to laugh they laugh. I have a good relationship with Nairo, we always make jokes.

Koronin said:
Red Rick said:
Dude races 3 stage races in a month for GC, but won't try for a GT at like 25?

Can we write him off as a prospect yet.

Someone needs to find a way to get him more confidence. Unfortunately I think the way they did the 2017 Vuelta after Alejandro's injury has become a problem for Soler. (I think we may need to move the discussion about Soler to his thread).

What's the story about that Vuelta anyway?

Landa moving to Movistar was also not great for him. But then Movistar had Carapaz getting 4th in the Giro, so it's not like they didn't have the room to give him any chance.

Perhaps he should tone down the spring schedule if he otherwise can't prepare for a GT properly.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Koronin said:
Red Rick said:
Dude races 3 stage races in a month for GC, but won't try for a GT at like 25?

Can we write him off as a prospect yet.

Someone needs to find a way to get him more confidence. Unfortunately I think the way they did the 2017 Vuelta after Alejandro's injury has become a problem for Soler. (I think we may need to move the discussion about Soler to his thread).

What's the story about that Vuelta anyway?

Landa moving to Movistar was also not great for him. But then Movistar had Carapaz getting 4th in the Giro, so it's not like they didn't have the room to give him any chance.

Perhaps he should tone down the spring schedule if he otherwise can't prepare for a GT properly.

2017 - Quintana did the Giro/Tour. That's the year Dumoulin won the Giro. Valverde was doing the Tour/Vuelta (per usual) however, that is the year of the crash and his broken kneecap. Thus it threw Movistar into a what do we do now for la Vuelta. Valverde was our leader we don't have anyone. They basically sent a young team with two slightly older riders and then told all the riders this is for experience you can all ride it however you choose. No demestiques, no helpers, everyone on their own. Soler then decided to try to race for GC and it didn't go very well even though it was his first ever Grand Tour. He also basically had no one to guide him. The team has admitted they messed up with that one and should have had someone there who could at least guide the younger riders. As for Soler at the 2018 Tour, well he was there simply to help his 3 leaders and get experience. After that he has said he feels he can race a Grand Tour for his leader right now. I'd like to see them send him to the Giro/Vuelta this year with Valverde as his guide (for lack of a better term).

TRENDING THREADS