• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The last wannabe major country to win - 2016

Which wannabe major country will win last this year?

• Luxembourg

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Portugal

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Slovakia

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • South Africa

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Austria

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Czech Republic

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Estonia

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Iran

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Kazakhstan

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Since there were so many calls for Portugal to be included in the "last major country to win" poll, here is a poll with some realistic competition for the Portuguese.

Countries included are based on 1) having not won yet this year, and 2) number of wins and top tens last year. Only individual wins in .1 races or above and continental championships count. National championships don't count.

Now I'll probably have to brace myself for offended Canadians who didn't even make it into this poll...

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Slovakia lol :D

My estimation for Slovakia at the Tour of California ... thats the only place where Sagan does not face elite sprinters and some of the stages are perhaps even designed for him.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Jancouver said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Slovakia lol :D

My estimation for Slovakia at the Tour of California ... thats the only place where Sagan does not face elite sprinters and some of the stages are perhaps even designed for him.
In his 6 years as a pro, the latest Sagan has won his first victory of the season is in March.

I hope so, but this year he is wearing the rainbow jersey! :eek:

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Here is the current country ranking, with countries in the poll bolded. New Zealand has most top tens so far and has a good chance at a win in the Oceania Championships in early March. South Africa likewise will have a good chance in the African championships in late February.

10 - France (115), Australia (63)
6 - Italy (103), Great Britain (32)
5 - Netherlands (22), Germany (11)
4 - Belgium (52), Norway (12)
3 - Colombia (27)
2 - Spain (46), Argentina (14), Hong Kong (2), Ukraine (2)
1 - Switzerland (12), Belarus (9), Morocco (9), Ireland (7), Slovenia (6), USA (5)
0 - Eritrea (16), Russia (14), New Zealand (11), Poland (9), Denmark (6), Slovakia (6), Canada (5), Czech Republic (5), Lithuania (5), Japan (4), Rwanda (4), South Korea (4), Costa Rica (3), Iran (3), Algeria (2), Brazil (2), Kazakhstan (2), Mongolia (2), Portugal (2), Romania (2), Taiwan (2), Uruguay (2), Austria (1), Estonia (1), Ethiopia (1), India (1), Kyrgyzstan (1), Latvia (1), Luxembourg (1), South Africa (1), Uzbekistan (1), Vietnam (1)

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Portugal have now saved themselves from the potential embarrassment of winning this. It'll now probably go to New Zealand, because it's very unlikely that Iran won't win within the next two weeks.