• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The last WorldTeam to win - 2016

Which WorldTeam will win last this year?

• Team Sky

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Team LottoNL - Jumbo

Votes: 47 44.3%
  • Team Katusha

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Ag2R La Mondiale

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Dimension Data

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • FDJ

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Lampre - Merida

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Lotto - Soudal

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • IAM Cycling

Votes: 18 17.0%
  • Team Giant - Alpecin

Votes: 11 10.4%

• Total voters
Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Which of the WorldTeams (as the UCI calls them now) will win last this year? All races at level .1 or above count, plus national and continental championships. Stage wins and GC wins only, no other jerseys.

Out of the 18 WorldTeams, 8 have already snatched up one or more wins, so 10 candidates remain. Last year's "winner" was LottoNL - Jumbo who didn't win until May. Who will take it out this year?

Last year's thread is here.

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
This is the current team standing of WorldTeams and Professional Continental Teams (the latter are identified by an asterisk). Number of wins are shown first, and number of top tens are between brackets.

5 - Orica - GreenEDGE (8)
4 - Direct Energie* (14)
2 - Fortuneo - Vital Concept* (27), BMC Racing Team (8), Etixx - Quick Step (8)
1 - Movistar Team (14), Tinkoff (14), Cannondale Pro Cycling Team (12), Astana Pro Team (6), Drapac Professional Cycling* (6), Trek - Segafredo (6), Southeast - Venezuela* (2)
0 - Lampre - Merida (11), Team Sky (10), Ag2r La Mondiale (6), Dimension Data (6), ONE Pro Cycling* (6), Androni Giocattoli - Sidermec* (5), Lotto - Soudal (4), Nippo - Vini Fantini* (4), UnitedHealthCare Pro Cycling Team* (4), Delko - Marseille Provence KTM* (3), FDJ (3), Funvic Soul Cycles - Carrefour* (3), IAM Cycling (3), Team Katusha (3), Team LottoNL - Jumbo (2), Bardiani - CSF* (0), Bora - Argon 18* (0), CCC Sprandi - Polkowice* (0), Caja Rural - Seguros RGA* (0), Cofidis, Solutions Crédits* (0), Roompot - Oranje Peloton* (0), Team Roth* (0), Gazprom - RusVelo* (0), Stölting Service Group* (0), Team Giant - Alpecin (0), Team Novo Nordisk* (0), Topsport Vlaanderen - Baloise* (0), Verva - ActiveJet Pro Cycling Team* (0), Wanty - Groupe Gobert* (0)

I think that Jay McCarthy robbed Lampre of their best chance to get a win early in the year. I expect them to edge out Lotto-Jumbo and Lotto-Soudal for the title. I can't see Lampre winning in a hurry, maybe Costa or Ulissi and the Dutch and Belgian Lottos will have to rely on Hofland and Greipel respectively.

Re:

42x16ss said:
I think that Jay McCarthy robbed Lampre of their best chance to get a win early in the year. I expect them to edge out Lotto-Jumbo and Lotto-Soudal for the title. I can't see Lampre winning in a hurry, maybe Costa or Ulissi and the Dutch and Belgian Lottos will have to rely on Hofland and Greipel respectively.
Koshevoy or Kump look to be in good form, so I think they won't come last.
I don't think Lotto-Jumbo can get a win for a while so I voted for them. IAM to be second last and Giant 3rd (because of their mass crashes).

This year is different for lotto jumbo, the will race in cadel evans race, volta a la comunitat valenciana, qatar and oman. Last year they started in andalucia and algarve ( after down under).
I think that groenewegen can win a bunch sprint in valencia or even campenaerts the initial time trial, Hofland can also take a win in Qatar but the field is stronger than in valencia.

Re:

42x16ss said:

I think Cimolai or Modolo have Etruschi/Trofeos/Laigueglia to look forward to, and Ulissi has some also. IAM have Pelucchi who seems to always peak for the Trofeos in Mallorca. Giant still have Major Tom for an early season TT. Lotto Soudal have Gallopin who'll probably scab a win somehow, attacking 40km out most likely, and also Greipel for the plethora of sprints in Oman/Dubai/Qatar. Lotto NL jumbo seems to be the most likely winner sadly.

Can't really see anyone except Hofland getting a win for Lotto Jumbo that doesn't involve some decent amount of star aligning.

Giant should be OK, they all have like 10 guys that can sprint for the win in some 2.1 race. Also I guess Modolo can take some .1 race in Italy; IAM has Pelucchi he's usually good in the early season; I fear for Ag2R though...

LottoNL is the big "favorite" for this one. They only had 6 wins last year. Cannondale was next with 11 victories. Then IAM with 14 and FDJ with 15. Cannondale is already out of the competition. With Degenkolb sidelined, Giant might be a contender as well, but I think they will be fine with Dumoulin in the team.

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
trevim said:
Can't really see anyone except Hofland getting a win for Lotto Jumbo that doesn't involve some decent amount of star aligning.

Giant should be OK, they all have like 10 guys that can sprint for the win in some 2.1 race. Also I guess Modolo can take some .1 race in Italy; IAM has Pelucchi he's usually good in the early season; I fear for Ag2R though...

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Sep Vanmarcke has a finale in which he doesn't get a flat.

Re:

classicomano said:
Surely there must be an early season prologue or TT somewhere that Dumoulin can scoop up? Otherwise they have to rely on a lucky win from Arndt or smt.

But Lotto-Jumbo gets my vote anyway.
Giant also has Barguil, Geschke and even Veelers who can also get results. Unless Hofland, Vanmarcke or Gesink come through it will be a long season for Lotto-NL.

TRENDING THREADS