• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Leadout

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I would like to hear what people think on this. In recent history, Columbia has had the strongest leadout team.. Period. Garmin usually has a decent leadout (when Columbia isn't in the race) and the other sprinters often just fight for wheels.

Columbia's train is diminished slightly(loss of Hincapie) but still very strong (Eisel, Renshaw) this year. Garmin seems to have brought their best(Dean,Hunter,Van S). Sky may also attempt to do a leadout (Maybe they have finally figured out how to lead to the finish instead of bombing at 2K to go.:))

What do you think? Who with have the strongest train this year? Will that translate into stage wins? Does a train help or is it a waste of manpower?

Columbia will propably still have the edge due to their experience. It will be very interesting to see what Lampre can do. If they are able to transfer their speed in to a good leadout, Petacchi has the best leadout of all with Lorenzetto, Gavazzi, Bole and Hondo

Rocksteady said:
I would like to hear what people think on this. Historically Columbia has the strongest leadout team.. Period.[/n] Garmin usually has a decent leadout (when Columbia isn't in the race) and the other sprinters often just fight for wheels.

Columbia's train is diminished slightly(loss of Hincapie) but still very strong (Eisel, Renshaw) this year. Garmin seems to have brought their best(Dean,Hunter,Van S). Sky may also attempt to do a leadout (Maybe they have finally figured out how to lead to the finish instead of bombing at 2K to go.:))

What do you think? Who with have the strongest train this year? Will that translate into stage wins? Does a train help or is it a waste of manpower?

You mean in the history of cycling?

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
You mean in the history of cycling?

Not sure which part of my post you are questioning so I will take my best guess.
As far as Columbia being the best: Recent history. I'm pretty new to cycling but I'm sure someone has had a better train in the past.

As far as a train being a waste: That can be a throughout history question.

To Madrazo: I'm not too familiar with the Lampre riders but I haven't seen them control the front in my (very limited) experience the way Columbia does. I guess we will have to see if they do something.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Sky will have a leadout train of one.

How good is EBH at jumping on/off the right wheels a la Freire/McEwen? I can't see him beating Farrar/Cav if they are well set up (who can?) but I don't know all that much about him as a sprinter.

A

Anonymous

pedaling squares said:
How good is EBH at jumping on/off the right wheels a la Freire/McEwen? I can't see him beating Farrar/Cav if they are well set up (who can?) but I don't know all that much about him as a sprinter.

the races ive seen him try to do that hes usually left it just a bit late and got swamped a bit. Hes much better, like most sprinters with a lead out.

A

Anonymous

It will be interesting. Dean has been pretty impressive this year in the final lead-out. I think the absence of Hincapie will be felt this year as he was the guy who kept it together and ordered in the last 1-2K. If I give the guy anything, it was his ability to control that part of the race for Cav. I think the sprints will be much more wide open than last year for that reason, and the fact that Farrar is stronger (hopefully).

Poor Sky, I am starting to have a soft spot for them because I have always rooted for the underdog.

pedaling squares said:

Early in his career EBH was very afraid to join in the bunch sprints and rarely entered a sprint unless it was in a small group. This might still be a slight factor especially in the fast and busy sprints we usually see in the Tour. With the sprinting he has done in the last two years he has gotten a little more comfortable though. I expect EBH successes in this Tour to come either in breakaways or in thougher stages like the cobbled stage. He might place in some bunch sprints but he won't be able to sprint to his full potential speed like he could if he had a perfect lead out.

Rocksteady said:
I would like to hear what people think on this. Historically Columbia has the strongest leadout team.. Period. Garmin usually has a decent leadout (when Columbia isn't in the race) and the other sprinters often just fight for wheels.

Columbia has lost more than Hincapie. Rogers has said that the team wil have a divided goal this year of Green and GC. He predicts that they won't be able to dictate the end of the stages like last year.

He says: "We obviously can't that the approach that we took in the sprints last year, we just don't have the numbers, you know hitting the front with 15-20 km to go. If I come out of the train and there's a couple other guys coming out of the train, the guys have to hit the front with 1 km to go and not 10 km to go".

If this turns out to be the case then we will start to see some different sprinting than last year. Another important factor will be what teams will be helping Columbia to bring back breaks if Cav starts winning it all again. Last year they had problems getting help because they were so dominant but they managed because of a strong team. Now with saving some riders along with the fact that Cav has been a grade A douche this spring might spell problems for them in getting help. Then again if riders feel they can actually beat him then all will be fine. The final result could also be that it's Rogers chances in GC get spoiled if his support riders have to help Cav instead.

May 31, 2010
Visit site
ingsve said:
Columbia has lost more than Hincapie. Rogers has said that the team wil have a divided goal this year of Green and GC. He predicts that they won't be able to dictate the end of the stages like last year.

He says: "We obviously can't that the approach that we took in the sprints last year, we just don't have the numbers, you know hitting the front with 15-20 km to go. If I come out of the train and there's a couple other guys coming out of the train, the guys have to hit the front with 1 km to go and not 10 km to go".

If this turns out to be the case then we will start to see some different sprinting than last year. Another important factor will be what teams will be helping Columbia to bring back breaks if Cav starts winning it all again. Last year they had problems getting help because they were so dominant but they managed because of a strong team. Now with saving some riders along with the fact that Cav has been a grade A douche this spring might spell problems for them in getting help. Then again if riders feel they can actually beat him then all will be fine. The final result could also be that it's Rogers chances in GC get spoiled if his support riders have to help Cav instead.
it'd be nice to see robbie get a win

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Let's face it - the whole train thing is Entertaining for the last 2km of a couple of stages but irrelevant in the whole scheme of the tour. The cornerboy cav will be led out for a couple of stages and win but at the end of the tour he wont be on the podium and will be forgotten about. For sprinting balls give me a zabel or a Kelly or a hushvod.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
the races ive seen him try to do that hes usually left it just a bit late and got swamped a bit.

Ah ok. Youth perhaps.

ingsve said:
I expect EBH successes in this Tour to come either in breakaways or in thougher stages like the cobbled stage.

Well if he's gonna break away he'd better be off the front at the feed zone!

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Spanky said:
Let's face it - the whole train thing is Entertaining for the last 2km of a couple of stages but irrelevant in the whole scheme of the tour. The cornerboy cav will be led out for a couple of stages and win but at the end of the tour he wont be on the podium and will be forgotten about. For sprinting balls give me a zabel or a Kelly or a hushvod.

I disagree with almost all of this. Personally I like the last 20km of a sprint stage, watching the teams muscle for position, looking where the contenders are positioned.

And as for Cavendish being forgotten, of course he won't be. For a start 6 mass start stage wins is a post war record, I believe. If he gets the two stage wins you suggest, then he'll be level with McEwen, Zabel and Cipo after just four Tours.

The Green Jersey comp will be very interesting, not a pure sprinters course. However, Cavendish seems to me like Contador and Cancellara - if he sets his mind to winning something, he probably will.

Kelly, Zabel, Hushovd - all great racers, but I'm not sure how they have more balls (except Kelly, the ultimate hard man)

TRENDING THREADS