• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Massimo (Max) Testa Thread

I didn't find a specific thread about "Max" Testa, however lots of references sprinkled throughout other threads.

Someone hasn't updated his information here: http://intermountainhealthcare.org/providers/profile.html?id=33931&

The NYT summary from the new Macur book on Armstrong includes the revelation he taught riders how to use EPO, not Frankie, as falsely claimed by Hincapie:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/sports/cycling/end-of-the-ride-for-lance-armstrong.html?_r=0

Hendershot, however, put it this way: A doctor who refused to give riders drugs wouldn’t last in the sport. And he has lasted quite a long time in cycling!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Paging Cadel Evans. Cadel, what say you?

Paging those who think the doping culture has changed. Max Testa, Ibauguren and others still do what they do on teams shows that doping is still an integral part of this sport.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Max and Eric goes back some time. Plenty of opportunity to dig up some dirt around the rink if anyone cares.

I don't like the guy for his little fit over not getting to light the torch in Salt Lake.

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
It is bizarre that folks ( rightly ) have suspicions about Saxo because Riis is involved but many still consider BMC clean despite massive smoking guns such as Och, Rihs and Testa on BMC.

How Rihs and Och are still allowed in pro cycling given their respective histories is shocking.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
I didn't find a specific thread about "Max" Testa, however lots of references sprinkled throughout other threads.

Someone hasn't updated his information here: http://intermountainhealthcare.org/providers/profile.html?id=33931&

The NYT summary from the new Macur book on Armstrong includes the revelation he taught riders how to use EPO, not Frankie, as falsely claimed by Hincapie:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/sports/cycling/end-of-the-ride-for-lance-armstrong.html?_r=0

Hendershot, however, put it this way: A doctor who refused to give riders drugs wouldn’t last in the sport. And he has lasted quite a long time in cycling!

Strictly a hired gun; doing what he was paid to do by Och and specifically directed by Lance. Yes, the little prince had authority even then.

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
The concept continues to be: doping is ok, as long as no one gets popped.

Armstrong was very bad indeed, but there are dope doctors in the circus who are just as bad imo.

Yeah, no dodgy Doctors = a lot less doping.

Testa has been with BMC since 2010..?

Of course he knows the game and has experience, but if his job is the achieve results via illegal subsstances/methods then he's been a total failure and should have been sacked long ago.

Testa is irrelevant to the (non)doping of Evans/Gilbert/Hushovd.

Och, Lelangue, Rihs... they all know the game too of course so if they have been trying to be the world's best team by having the best doping setup then they have also been a failure. Or maybe Lelangue was pushing an anti-doping agenda, or maybe he was overly critical of riders like Gilbert who dramatically toned it down.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Testa has been with BMC since 2010..?

Of course he knows the game and has experience, but if his job is the achieve results via illegal subsstances/methods then he's been a total failure and should have been sacked long ago.

Testa is irrelevant to the (non)doping of Evans/Gilbert/Hushovd.

Och, Lelangue, Rihs... they all know the game too of course so if they have been trying to be the world's best team by having the best doping setup then they have also been a failure. Or maybe Lelangue was pushing an anti-doping agenda, or maybe he was overly critical of riders like Gilbert who dramatically toned it down.

Or maybe UCI told them 'unofficially' anymore positives and lose your licence...

Which might have cost them big to stay in the game with Ballan getting caught!

There are many Italian doctors, down through the ages, who operated within Italy's culture of doping and who chose not to encourage doping, and even tried to discourage it, but who took their medical responsibility seriously and, if one of their riders was doping, tried to help, to educate and inform.

In some ways, Pierre Dumas in his early years in the Tour, took the same view: I don't want you doing it but if you're going to do it, do it safely. Dumas, of course, took the fight more seriously than most, and acted on the wider world of sport to try and make the culture change.

The Italian doctors who quietly tried to discourage doping but who informed riders if they did dope, maybe they could have done more. Or maybe they did as much as any of us would have done.

SundayRider said:
Yet certain riders get thrown out.

Oh yes. Some riders are pursued all over the globe until they get sanctioned, and then are blacklisted at every level of the sport. Some riders get a sanction and are permanently bumped to continental level. Some riders get a 2 year sanction, and are actually not racing for 6 months. Some riders get NO sanction. Benotti's got it about right too.

Based on those very real doping sanctions, it's perfectly reasonable to dope. You just don't know what outcome the UCI has for you.

fmk_ROL, that outlook only enables the doping. The doctor sees very dangerous behaviour like drug use and then does not take a firm stance about not taking the drugs, but advises the patient how to engage in the dangerous behaviour. An extreme analogy: it's like advising a spouse beater how to beat someone without leaving bruises.

This notion that he and other doctors are some kind of force of good in a bad system is a good story for a movie, but that's all.

DirtyWorks said:
An extreme analogy: it's like advising a spouse beater how to beat someone without leaving bruises.

This notion that he and other doctors are some kind of force of good in a bad system is a good story for a movie, but that's all.

If you're going to reach for a daft analogy, please make an effort to get it right: it's like advising a spouse beater how to beat someone without damaging internal organs.

What you are forgetting is that some of these doctors did advise against doping.

Does this make them a force for good? Quote me where I said it did.

My point is simply this: you cannot lump all the medics together.

fmk_RoI said:
If you're going to reach for a daft analogy, please make an effort to get it right: it's like advising a spouse beater how to beat someone without damaging internal organs.

What you are forgetting is that some of these doctors did advise against doping.

Does this make them a force for good? Quote me where I said it did.

My point is simply this: you cannot lump all the medics together.

Any doctor who gave, assisted or advised any rider to or how to dope, no matter what the motivation should be banned from the sport for life.

The absurd rationale "That I don't want you to do it, but since you are going to so I want to be sure you do it safely" is just a moral cop out. All of these medics can be lumped together as aiders and abettors to cheating and fraud!

RobbieCanuck said:
Any doctor who gave, assisted or advised any rider to or how to dope, no matter what the motivation should be banned from the sport for life.

The absurd rationale "That I don't want you to do it, but since you are going to so I want to be sure you do it safely" is just a moral cop out. All of these medics can be lumped together as aiders and abettors to cheating and fraud!

This is better than I could have written. +100.

fmk_RoI, I understand what you are saying and I agree with you. But the inexperienced reader could misinterpret the subtleties of your post. RobbieCanuck's post sets a clear boundary that even the occasional reader can define.

TRENDING THREADS