• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The men who killed cycling

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Title for a book that's not been written but would love to read.

A study of cycling from mid eighties to mid nineties detailing who were the people who through their actions took cycling down a route which meant that it was impossible to win clean. The doctors/scientists who used cycling and riders as their personal experiments, the riders that were willing to be used in order to win, the enablers and managers who supported or encouraged and the journalists and administrators who stayed silent so that evil could flourish..you could also add the pharmaceutical companies that allowed their products to be used in such a way.

If I wanted a memorable moment to represent the moment cycling died it would be Lemond being dropped in the 91 tour. Of course I am making certain assumptions with that statement and could very well be wrong.

The information is becoming more available as various protagonists become increasingly willing to talk (or exposed) . I think the time is right for someone to take up the challenge of following the leads, digging deeper and gathering the strands together to produce a coherent, logical and compelling narrative that details the single most important era of the sport. In doing so they would attempt to quantify the guilt of the men who were most responsible for the death of cycling as a true sport and its birth as pharmacological warfare.

Anyone fancy it?

If not, anyone like to give their thoughts in case a suitable writer stumbles across this thread?

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, it would've been cool if someone wrote something like that back in say 1998, because he'd be considered a hero and prophet now after so many years of "cleaner" cycling. Oh wait...

SirLes said:
Title for a book that's not been written but would love to read.

The UCI has always handled cheating of all kinds differently depending on the rider with a positive. This is true before EPO when match fixing was a bigger issue. Now the UCI fixes the important match, hides the important anti-doping positives.

It works pretty good for them.

Here's the guy that's already done most of the work: http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...tion-doping-collusion-at-the-ioc-uci_270482/4

Cycling is just one of many totally corrupt IOC sanctioned sports.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
The UCI has always handled cheating of all kinds differently depending on the rider with a positive. This is true before EPO when match fixing was a bigger issue. Now the UCI fixes the important match, hides the important anti-doping positives.

It works pretty good for them.

Here's the guy that's already done most of the work: http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...tion-doping-collusion-at-the-ioc-uci_270482/4

Cycling is just one of many totally corrupt IOC sanctioned sports.

Not sure how I missed this. Thanks, DW

DirtyWorks said:
Okay, I read the article. Of course, many of the names are
familiar as is the subject matter. What bothers me is that
a very easily verifiable fact, although it is actually totally
inconsequential to the article and didn't need to even be
included, is wrong. And as we all know here in the clinic,
the Devil is in the details.

oldcrank said:
Okay, I read the article. Of course, many of the names are
familiar as is the subject matter. What bothers me is that
a very easily verifiable fact, although it is actually totally
inconsequential to the article and didn't need to even be
included, is wrong. And as we all know here in the clinic,
the Devil is in the details.

Which fact?

Hoberman's done the work. His work is prescient. I think that leaves some room for someone's error.

http://www.amazon.com/John-M.-Hoberman/e/B001H6KK4C/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

86TDFWinner said:
Good post/info, thanks DW.

I keep ranting like a crazy person about the IOC, I guess I should have posted more Hoberman links! :D

An exclamation point to the thread:
No one is more powerful than sports officials in positions of responsibility who decide to keep their foot on the brake and do as little as they can get away with to catch dopers.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...uption-doping-collusion-at-the-ioc-uci_270482

And sports federations have no one to report to either.

DirtyWorks said:
I keep ranting like a crazy person about the IOC, I guess I should have posted more Hoberman links! :D

An exclamation point to the thread:
No one is more powerful than sports officials in positions of responsibility who decide to keep their foot on the brake and do as little as they can get away with to catch dopers.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...uption-doping-collusion-at-the-ioc-uci_270482

And sports federations have no one to report to either.

Rant away my friend, I always enjoy your posts.:D