• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The most spetacular hunger knocks

the "hunger knock" is the equivalent of an UFO sighting in cycling, many are reported but very few are true (never let reality get in the way of a good metaphor :p)

so what were the best ones of the recent past?

from the top of my head i can think of contador in PN, link to the full stage where contador had his famous hunger knock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ultWwXzhmq8

iirc landis also had an hunger knock but i am not sure.

btw proving video reference would be cool

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Take the thread to the clinic. But how should a mod know?

The first example (Contador) says it all. :rolleyes:
Sure, some hunger knocks might be caused by clinic-matters, but most of them are real. It can happen to anyone; it's not that easy to keep eating disgusting sugar-bars for several hours...forget to eat in a hour or two and ****, you're completely empty, cramping up and can barely turn the pedals around.

maltiv said:
Sure, some hunger knocks might be caused by clinic-matters, but most of them are real. It can happen to anyone; it's not that easy to keep eating disgusting sugar-bars for several hours...forget to eat in a hour or two and ****, you're completely empty, cramping up and can barely turn the pedals around.

indeed, for some everything that happens in cycling is clinic related. . . . i am pretty sure contador hunger knock at PN wasn't the result of anything clinic related but the result of him being constantly attacked over 30 or so km's and since he was alone and had to defend himself he forgot to eat during that time.

ofc it's much easier to instead of watching the race just looking at the results spot something strange and scream " he injected his dog's blood bag by mistake the previous night"

anyway out with the clinic stuff, and in with the proper discussion.

jan's on les deux alpes is indeed one we shouldn't forget, once again just like contador he was isolated and panicked.

jens_attacks said:
c'mon pla d'adet no way is a hunger knock. he pushed his limits way too much on val louron earlier to stay with basso and lance and on the last climb he paid for it. but he went very good that day. far from pajaron

It was a hunger knock, Ulle said it himself.
As he had to push hard to stay with Basso and Armstrong he forgot to eat enough. He then totally bonked in the last km of Pla d'a Det.

Parrulo said:
looks like a bit of both + a big part of acting to be honest :eek:

was tarammae on xorret de cati an hunger knock or did he just cracked spectacularly? he had to stop half way up the climb didn't he?
I reckon that was just normal cracking; he clearly underestimated the climb and paid for it as it became steeper and steeper. I mean 5 minutes earlier he was dropping everyone...hunger knocks happen fast, but not that fast ;)

Bavarianrider said:
It was a hunger knock, Ulle said it himself.

Ah, now I'm convinced. :rolleyes:

In my eyes that's all pure speculation. A lot of those "hunger knocks" are as likely cheap excuses for clinic stuff - or bad preparation (in a non-medical sense). But of course riders/d.s. will always claim that it was a "hunger knock".

Ullrich's "hunger knocks" have always had psychic components.

Also simply being isolated doesn't result in "hunger knocks".

And Xorret de Cati is just a terribly hard climb. Fabio Roscioli in 1999 sucked even worse than Taaramae and nearly rode backwards. That was some of the strangest things I've ever seen in cycling.

are you going to drop the clinic talk or do you prefer to get a warning?

anyway

to be honest i don't remember what stage of the vuelta it was, i remember watching it live and it was commented here on forum on the race thread where people mocked him, as per usual with devolder, but i don't recall what climb it was nor the race situation :eek:

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
very hard to distinguish hunger knocks and bad bb's

toussuire 06
stelvio 2005

if one had it on plat-d'adet, that was sevilla.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Did you see what Parrulo said?

i'm afraid it is quite correct and it is within the limits of discussion without going into details. Well, I put my list of stages according to the rules! :)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I've a better one.....me 30km away from home last summer it was such a nice day I'd forgotten how far I'd cycled...bonked hard on a flat bit!! :D

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
are you going to drop the clinic talk or do you prefer to get a warning?

Starting a thread like this outside the clinic was asking for trouble IMO. Bit like starting one called Armstrong's best stage win...