• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nice!

To be honest, as my interest for road cycling fades away, my interest in seeing MVP in the road disappears too. I don't think his way of racing fits well with how the big races are done presently. Thinking about myself, I'd be more than happy if he can establish himself as a top XCO rider, staying on cross in the process. But if he is to be remembered as an all-time great (and I'm sure he has the potential to be one of them), I think he will have to switch to road some time. 2021 seems fine to me.

Switching to the road at age 25 is too late to build up a palmares, in my opinion. Certainly with the talent that he has. Anyway I feel the same way as Ricco'. Though I guess there's a little bit of sadness in that Mathieu doesn't really have the patience to keep racing long in the peloton for a 250 long race, he only wants to race aggressively. At least he's drawing the right conclusion. If you don't like road, just don't do it. Not like Sagan, actually. :p

But at least he can still race some of the 1.1 races I like best: Dwars door Het Hageland, Schaal Sels (hope he will next year) and the Eleven Town Tour (Elfstedenronde). :)

He's made his choice - nobody forced him, quite the opposite. He enjoys off road, and can use his technical skills, something he can't really do racing the road.

But, you do wonder; he has raced with and beaten both Pedersen & van Aert on the road. But we have to wait until after 2020 Olympics to find out how good he can be on the road.

Not exactly, he'll probably ride some road races along the way.
Last season he won in Tour of Belgium vs Gilbert and Van Aert in a group sprint and in some other small races against Van Aert and Vd Hoorn and in some french races as well.

We'll see him pop up from time to time.
As for 25yo being too late for road.. LOL. No. If you have the talent (he has) and the dedication, it's definitely not too late

Not road I know, be I think it's still relevant to his thread...

Broken scaphoid? Well, that's nothing for Van der Poel, who wins his first MTB World Cup race with the Albstadt short track, holding off Sam Gaze and Mathias Flueckiger in a very impressive fashion, according to reports (unfortunately, no TV coverage).

Fell hard on his wrist again, cant MTB for 2 weeks but will defend his title on the road in Boucles de la Mayenne in 2 days and after that will ride the Dutch national road championships.

No idea if he has any other plans on the road this season.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re:

classicomano said:
Fell hard on his wrist again, cant MTB for 2 weeks but will defend his title on the road in Boucles de la Mayenne in 2 days and after that will ride the Dutch national road championships.

I don't think so. He also said this year his only goal in Boucles de la Mayenne is to work on his form.

Re: Re:

Der Effe said:
classicomano said:

I don't think so. He also said this year his only goal in Boucles de la Mayenne is to work on his form.
He should get his wrist in order imho. Hope he/docs know what they're doing though.

Re:

classicomano said:

Dwars door het Hageland (15-06)
Elfstedenronde (17-06)
Halle-Ingooigem (19-06)

Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
classicomano said:

Dwars door het Hageland (15-06)
Elfstedenronde (17-06)
Halle-Ingooigem (19-06)
Oh thats more than I expected. Thanks.

Easy win.

gyyViJk.gif

But to be fair, looking at the top 10, he barely has any competition here.

TRENDING THREADS