• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
jaylew said:
His results this spring bode well for those looking for him to focus more on the road. The fact that the races he's done have been exciting and aggressive definitely helps. I'm guessing he'll do the mtb thing through the Olympics, then just focus on cross and road for a few years. He's certainly proven that he can easily combine a full cross season with a spring classics campaign so no team will make him go the Stybar/Boom route.

I know he's under contract with Correndon through 2022, but you've got to think a WT team will buy him out or maybe more likely, Correndon will gain sponsors and step up to WT at some point. Whatever happens, I don't see him still racing for a Pro Conti team in 2022.

A shame we won't see him at Worlds as it should be a good course for him.

Why do we think we will not see him there?
Gonna do MTB races.

Bardamu said:
tobydawq said:
jaylew said:
His results this spring bode well for those looking for him to focus more on the road. The fact that the races he's done have been exciting and aggressive definitely helps. I'm guessing he'll do the mtb thing through the Olympics, then just focus on cross and road for a few years. He's certainly proven that he can easily combine a full cross season with a spring classics campaign so no team will make him go the Stybar/Boom route.

I know he's under contract with Correndon through 2022, but you've got to think a WT team will buy him out or maybe more likely, Correndon will gain sponsors and step up to WT at some point. Whatever happens, I don't see him still racing for a Pro Conti team in 2022.

Gonna do MTB races.

Things change. Realising you're the biggest favourite to win the World Championships on the road might be a reason to change your mind.

tobydawq said:
jaylew said:

I suppose he could always change his mind but Amstel was to be his last road race of the year to focus on the MTB world cups in prep for the Olympics next year. Unless he has a complete change of heart, I figure the best chance we have of seeing him on the road again this year is defending his title at Dutch nats.

Everyone was talking about him not riding PR and how he might have lost a golden opportunity for the win there, but retrospectively the much bigger deal is probably that he missed MSR becuase while in PR everything can happen I have a hard time seeing a scenario other than a badly timed mechanical or crash that could have kept him from winning there.

Gigs_98 said:
Everyone was talking about him not riding PR and how he might have lost a golden opportunity for the win there, but retrospectively the much bigger deal is probably that he missed MSR becuase while in PR everything can happen I have a hard time seeing a scenario other than a badly timed mechanical or crash that could have kept him from winning there.

Strade would have been his for the taking as well. I think.

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

jaylew said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
MTB races has nothing to do with the worlds Jawlew

In fact, the national coach already talked with MvdP about Yorkshire. There's already a 90% chance he is going to participate.
Interesting. I hadn't heard that, though I'd love to see him there. Do you have a link?

Philip Roodhooft (team manager) also mentioned that the Yorkshire parcours suits Mathieu in a post race interview this year when asked about the future.
If Van der Poel has also improved on the mountain bike he can beat Schurter and legtimately do a PFP and win three world titles in a single year.
It's a shame there is only one rest day between the road race and the MTB cross country in Tokyo next year but with this guy anything is possible.

Red Rick said:
Bardamu said:
fauniera said:
He could become world champion in cross, mountain bike and on the road. In one year. Just saying.
And then MTB gold in 2020 Olympics, Road in 2024 and by 2028 Cyclocross is also an Olympic discipline?
Yeah

And then he could focus on speed skating cause it's the Dutch thing to do and he'll win 5 gold medals.
I heard Ajax informed if they can borrow Vd Poel for the CL semi finals. He'll probably score 7 goals singlehandedly dribbling from defense to attack. And the national tennis coach informed wether he'd be available for the Davis Cup.

TRENDING THREADS