• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Slangeveld said:
jaylew said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
MTB races has nothing to do with the worlds Jawlew

In fact, the national coach already talked with MvdP about Yorkshire. There's already a 90% chance he is going to participate.
Interesting. I hadn't heard that, though I'd love to see him there. Do you have a link?

Philip Roodhooft (team manager) also mentioned that the Yorkshire parcours suits Mathieu in a post race interview this year when asked about the future.
If Van der Poel has also improved on the mountain bike he can beat Schurter and legtimately do a PFP and win three world titles in a single year.
It's a shame there is only one rest day between the road race and the MTB cross country in Tokyo next year but with this guy anything is possible.

Olympic road race is gonna be way too hard for him.

Red Rick said:
Slangeveld said:
jaylew said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
MTB races has nothing to do with the worlds Jawlew

In fact, the national coach already talked with MvdP about Yorkshire. There's already a 90% chance he is going to participate.
Interesting. I hadn't heard that, though I'd love to see him there. Do you have a link?

Philip Roodhooft (team manager) also mentioned that the Yorkshire parcours suits Mathieu in a post race interview this year when asked about the future.
If Van der Poel has also improved on the mountain bike he can beat Schurter and legtimately do a PFP and win three world titles in a single year.
It's a shame there is only one rest day between the road race and the MTB cross country in Tokyo next year but with this guy anything is possible.

Olympic road race is gonna be way too hard for him.

He's a cross rider, he knows how to jump over obstacles. Mount Fuji would not even realise he was ever there.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Red Rick said:
Bardamu said:
fauniera said:
He could become world champion in cross, mountain bike and on the road. In one year. Just saying.
And then MTB gold in 2020 Olympics, Road in 2024 and by 2028 Cyclocross is also an Olympic discipline?
Yeah

And then he could focus on speed skating cause it's the Dutch thing to do and he'll win 5 gold medals.
I heard Ajax informed if they can borrow Vd Poel for the CL semi finals. He'll probably score 7 goals singlehandedly dribbling from defense to attack. And the national tennis coach informed wether he'd be available for the Davis Cup.
Before Chuck Norris goes to bed, his dad checks the closet for Mathieu van der Poel.

I don't even know who the *** cares about MTB apart from himself. Like seriously.

He was insane today. Just need to step getting these weird ticks that make him attack at *** times. But what he did in that finale I will probably never forget, thats why we love cycling.

Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Okay now he would've won every single one day race had he been there good to know.

Yes. He would of course also have won Flanders without his crash.

Maybe somewhere along the road people would have realised they would have to do something about it, though...
He'll get Sagan'd all the time from now on.

The thing is, he was Sagan'd today.

laughingcavalier said:
Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:
Okay now he would've won every single one day race had he been there good to know.

Maybe somewhere along the road people would have realised they would have to do something about it, though...

Not really. He chose to attack at the worst possible time so he never let himself be Sagan'ed properly, but in the end he just took matters into his own hands and I'd imagine not too many riders were keen on taking pulls simply because they must have been on the limit considering just how fast he went. Look at this sprint, he just opened after sitting on the front and rode people of his wheel.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
IndianCyclist said:
Also i suppose this performance should highlight the difference between WVA and him on the road as well
Yep. This discussion is dead, there is no comparison. Like in CX, Mathieu better in every aspect. Sorry Wout.

Such rotten luck for Wout Aert at Paris Roubaix this year. Maybe he was the strongest. But I agree Mathieu beats Wout Van Aert in probably every aspect. Which is sad as WVA is a great rider. MVP is just the best and that is going to limit WVA victories. He will be the new Stybar :DD

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Red Rick said:
Bardamu said:
fauniera said:
He could become world champion in cross, mountain bike and on the road. In one year. Just saying.
And then MTB gold in 2020 Olympics, Road in 2024 and by 2028 Cyclocross is also an Olympic discipline?
Yeah

And then he could focus on speed skating cause it's the Dutch thing to do and he'll win 5 gold medals.
I heard Ajax informed if they can borrow Vd Poel for the CL semi finals. He'll probably score 7 goals singlehandedly dribbling from defense to attack. And the national tennis coach informed wether he'd be available for the Davis Cup.
He played for Willem II (and regional selection of Antwerp) as a kid. He might know Frenkie and Virgil from his footballing days.

Bardamu said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Red Rick said:
Bardamu said:
fauniera said:
Yeah

He played for Willem II (and regional selection of Antwerp) as a kid. He might know Frenkie and Virgil from his footballing days.

Lol with this guy and Remco, it seems like failed junior footballers are the mother lode of cycling talent

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I don't even know who the **** cares about MTB apart from himself. Like seriously.

He was insane today. Just need to step getting these weird ticks that make him attack at *** times. But what he did in that finale I will probably never forget, thats why we love cycling.

Why become a boring rider? Just do it like Merckx. Attack at 60k to go, tell your DS (Lefevere next year) to f*** off and win the race.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
Also i suppose this performance should highlight the difference between WVA and him on the road as well
Obviously MvdP is the more talented one but I kinda feel for WVA. He is an incredibly talented rider who would get nothing but praise if he wasn't also a XC rider who therefore constantly gets compared to van der Poel. Now it kinda feels like whatever he achieves the maximum he can become is "not quite van der Poel"

Valv.Piti said:
laughingcavalier said:
Red Rick said:
tobydawq said:
Red Rick said:

Not really. He chose to attack at the worst possible time so he never let himself be Sagan'ed properly, but in the end he just took matters into his own hands and I'd imagine not too many riders were keen on taking pulls simply because they must have been on the limit considering just how fast he went. Look at this sprint, he just opened after sitting on the front and rode people of his wheel.

Which is why "Sagan-ing" him wouldn't have worked today.

Gigs_98 said:
IndianCyclist said:
Obviously MvdP is the more talented one but I kinda feel for WVA. He is an incredibly talented rider who would get nothing but praise if he wasn't also a XC rider who therefore constantly gets compared to van der Poel. Now it kinda feels like whatever he achieves the maximum he can become is "not quite van der Poel"
This is probably true, but I bet WVA will have plenty of wins in his career.

i am incredibly shocked by anyone joking about vanderpoel and vanaert. we are seeing incredible athleticisim. speaking with a dutch guy here in central cali...people in the know know. those are merckx, this is lemond. i raced against lemond in norcal i know....this is special we are privileged to see.

TRENDING THREADS