• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 75 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I could be wrong but I suspect he won't continue after this weekend, or even today. Unless he gets in a break and somehow takes more time. Anything more than one or two Alps stages might put him at a disadvantage for Tokyo.

But how great is it that he and Wout are 1/2 after the first 7 stages? They really are imperious racers. If Wout hadn't had his appendectomy I think he'd be in yellow.

Reactions: jmdirt
Yep he should absolutely abandon the Tour either after today or tomorrow.

The remaining stages offer almost nothing of interest to him. He's already given sponsors, fans and the ASO more than they can ask for with that sensational opening week. Now it's time to prepare for the Olympic mission.

I think yesterday was the swan song. Today he will lose the jersey and probably abandon the race after the stage although there is still the possibility the he goes into the second week.

One thing is for sure, this Tour was already a big success for him and he honoured the yellow jersey like few.
nah i'll think he will continue until the rest day. Perfect time to go out. Use some mountains as training for MTB

unknown.png

Good to see him sticking to his plan. Ironically, the folks bagging on him for leaving the tour are probably the same ones (roadies) who bagged on him for racing balls to the wall at TA.

They're simply not getting that he's not a full time road rider - and rides other disciplines. It's not as if it was a surprise either - he's been planning to go the Olympics for the last 3-4 years.

Let's hope he gets a chance to beat Pidcock after the last MTB demonstration, the brit is a beast. The green jersey was really an option for MVDP, the risk is to lose everything, but that's part of the sport! Would also have liked to see him taking part to some sprints now that Merlier left the team.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and KZD
They're simply not getting that he's not a full time road rider - and rides other disciplines. It's not as if it was a surprise either - he's been planning to go the Olympics for the last 3-4 years.
Ewan had also planned to focus on the Tour before he decided to do the Giro, yet that didn't stop people from moaning when he left early. The two cases are fairly equivalent.

Let's hope he gets a chance to beat Pidcock after the last MTB demonstration, the brit is a beast. The green jersey was really an option for MVDP, the risk is to lose everything, but that's part of the sport! Would also have liked to see him taking part to some sprints now that Merlier left the team.
I’d like a lot of things too. Reality is that he has been planning and looking forward to the OG for a long time now. With that in mind it’s the only sensible thing for him to do.

There’s always next year for the Tour.

Not that VDP cares at all that people cry about it. He doesn't seem to be impressed with any outside influences regardless
Which is what I like about him. He won’t lose any sleep over the moaners. By this time next year nobody will even remember what they were making such a big fuss about now.

People will always find something to whine about which is why you should always stick to your guns.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS